Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 1x1 bedroom is enough?  (Read 3828 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
1x1 bedroom is enough?
« on: March 08, 2015, 10:17:23 pm »

I used to carve 3x3 or 5x5 bedrooms for them...But recently I found all they need is a bed and a 1x1 room. As for dining hall, they only care about if there are enough tables and chairs.

Look at this miner, he thought he had a fine bedroom? And surrounded by other fine beds(other dorfs')? Legendary dining room? Well it was just a room with 20 pairs of wooden tables and chairs.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

GiantCaveMushroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Born Pessimist
    • View Profile
Re: 1x1 bedroom is enough?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 10:45:02 pm »

Could be that the tables and chairs have very high +quality+.

I have a legendary carpenter in my fortress and his wooden furniture tend to be very high in value thanks to quality. Not as much as metal furniture but still more than regular rock ones.

Also, non-noble dwarves tend to be happy from just having a room.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 10:57:40 pm »

I haven't tried, but do they put their belongings on the same square as the bed?

Apparently dwarves don't care if they have walls or a door, so another option (from the bedroom design wiki) is to put all beds in a large room and let the bedrooms overlap since the quality penalty for overlapping rooms is only applied once, so the size of the room makes up for the penalty.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 11:05:21 pm »

Yes, they usually drop their x(socks)x on the bed.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 12:19:11 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The dorfs here are all super happy, they've got royal bedrooms (expand the size four times in an open engraved room and it should be royal), plus they've got private dining room/offices, and apparently a human... wait what the hell is a wagon doing in there? Man things get weird sometimes when you come back as an adventurer to an older fort.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 12:29:44 am »

:D the one time i checked out a fort as an adventurer there were wagons *everywhere* embedded in the walls and everything

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 12:43:51 am »

Oh god the caverns are full of them, no wonder it's lagging so much when I load onto the map, gonna have to get rid of them in fort mode after temp-retiring later.

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 03:19:34 am »

if furniture and engravings are high quality, you can easily make your dorfs happy with a setup like the one below. walls can overlap between "rooms" and do not decrease room value. whether size is important or not highly depends on the material of natural floors/walls. I usually go with a 1x3 setup...but that is mainly because it works very well with my fortress design (central staircase, minimal walking distances)

I B I B I B I B I B I B I B I
-----------------------------

I - vertical wall (2d)
- - horizontal wall (2d)
B - bed

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 03:29:40 am »

2x1 or 3x1 bedroom with a container and a cabinet is good. 1x1 works.

Actually better than 1x1 is communal bedrooms... you just make a room, fill it with beds and designate large rooms. They overlap, and you can't put anything else than beds in it, but it gives good quality bedrooms.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 05:26:36 am »

For a dining room, I think they also complain if they cannot sit during meals.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 02:43:28 pm »

I - vertical wall (2d)
- - horizontal wall (2d)
B - bed

I tend to do that for housing before I get the aquifer punched, but offset it by one, and have a three wide hallway for pathing issues. Result:

B I B I B I B I B I B I B I B

The reason for the offset is because when I'm assigning the beds as "rooms" they don't overlap any more.

The three wide hallway, as well as being simpler for dwarves to walk along, can have tables and chairs put down the middle of it, or the occasional statue, or whatever. It's not a waste of space.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 06:55:33 pm »

Incidentally I forgot about the merchants until later when I unretired the fort to try out my prefchange script with some forced artifacts to gank with Kid McLegendary, the dorfs are still very happy since as I said, they all have big massive royal bedrooms and every last one has "slept in a bedroom like a personal palace" thoughts, plus various statue/armor stand/cabinet/table/bed/engraving/chair admiration thoughts.

When I noticed how slow the fps was going and checked the units list I remembered the horde of mechants but couldn't exterminate them since I've got some good companions retired there for Mr. and Mrs. McLegendary who happen to be human and seem rather popular in the fort to boot.

Then I had a stroke of inspiration, tweak makeown some of the dorf merchants down there, createitem some picks for them, the caverns are already sealed off with various mechanisms so the only ones capable of accepting jobs down there are those already down there... and then I had them dig out some suitable tunnels and begin suicidally punching holes in the volcano tube until it flooded the caverns, cleaning things up nicely!

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 07:59:53 am »

3 square bedrooms lets you put a cabinet and coffer in there too. I think dwarves get happy thoughts from owning those but if the rest of your fort is swanky enough they won't miss that.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 02:50:40 pm »

1 Bedroom sizes are fine, just a bit drab.

FWIW the overlapping room penalty seems to be a binary "overlap" or "not overlapped"

So this:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-32250-bedroom

Is a royal bedroom for ~200 dwarves.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 03:03:05 pm »

Yes, you can cram an engraved room full of beds amd make each one its own maxsize bedroom... but that's just not fun for RP. If I want my dwarves to get royal bedroom happiness boosters, I challenge myself t give them royal bedrooms. It does cost a lot more in platinum than the more exploity route though. Basically if I were doing a megaproject or utility fort of some kind I would do the communal "bedrooms," but for proper fort forts it seems wrong.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 
Pages: [1] 2