Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rise of Nations  (Read 1800 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Rise of Nations
« on: March 08, 2015, 12:32:48 am »

So this is a fun strategy game I used to play and I tried playing it recently but I needed to reinstall it, I seem to have lost my packet that came with the game so I don't have the 25-character product key.
Is there anything to do about this?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of Nations
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 12:44:33 am »

Nevermind found it

Does anyone even play this game or has anyone played it before?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 01:07:05 am »

I bought the Extended Edition a couple of months ago in a sale since I've heard a lot of praise for it. I personally found it to have aged much better than both Empire Earth I/II and Age of Mythology- especially graphically.

Unfortunately the game just never gelled with me. The "province" system seemed to clash with my traditional RTS heavy expansionist playstyle and the game seems to want you to micro a lot of systems at once, including unit management, economy and the tech progression system. A lot of that would be inflamed by my inexperience at the game but it does come across as very intimidating and time consuming to get over the learning curve.

I do appreciate just how much effort have been put into the game regarding all the different technologies and cultural flavour. I liked how the game tried to simulate a realistic age system since I always found it a bit of a laugh that you can research stuff like "The Dark Age" or "The Middle Ages" in other RTS. The unique resources and trade system was also really interesting.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 01:35:43 am »

Ya
I used to love doing whole timeline campaigns and watch as everything grew.

Now (in the past hour that I got it running) I just like watching the mussleloader infantry fight eachother, the animations are fun to watch, almost like a giant cloud of smoke as each side tears the other apart

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 02:42:43 am »

I have a copy of Thrones and Patriots around somewhere. I remember it being pretty fun back before I got digusted with RTS games in general. The super-tech post-modern age was irritating to play, though. The rest were fun.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 02:48:15 am »

RoN always struck me as the sorta-weird cousin of all the other RTS and 4X games, with a bit from each and a rather slapdash whole.

The Terracotta Army wonder was hilarious though.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 06:22:57 am »

I liked RoN mostly because it was the only major RTS I had with a somewhat vibrant online community when I played (compared to Age of Empires and Empire Earth 1, anyway). Then GS killed the servers and the HD version doesn't seem like an improvement.

RoN always had a lot less variety than other RTS games in terms of scenarios. AOE and EE both had diplomacy style build and destroy, pseudo-RPGs, cinematic type games, etc whereas RoN was always basically just "build cities and conquer stuff", occasionally "conquer cities because you can't build more", and if you had enough friends online, "use diplomacy with your friends and paint a map your favourite colour".

I also got a chuckle out of how age advantages didn't matter as much compared to, say, Empire Earth. In RoN, you could conceivably fight someone in the Information Age with Industrial Age troops and come out okay because of how weak everything felt (with the exception of nukes), whereas in EE, if you went against a Nano Age army with a Modern Age army you'd probably be taking at least 3-1 losses, a fact exploited by a few campaign missions. About 10 Nano Age regular infantry and a tank could easily kill hundreds upon hundreds of Stone Age cavemen without taking significant damage, whereas in RoN a bunch of phalanxes could actually inflict significant losses on T51 tanks.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 06:51:35 am »

@GJ, did you play the expansion? The Cold War campaign has, IMO, excellent Espionage scenarios that always were half the appeal of the campaign for me.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 12:36:57 pm »

@GJ, did you play the expansion? The Cold War campaign has, IMO, excellent Espionage scenarios that always were half the appeal of the campaign for me.
+1
Those were fun too

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 04:04:17 pm »

I really loved the old RoN back in the day. It is to Civilization as Sword of the Stars is to 4x games, I think. The cost scaling mechanics on units and buildings was a good idea. The supply wagons, not so much. I used to play with my dad when we bought the game, but when he realized he could not use the same tower rush strats he used in Age of Empires II and Empire Earth he stopped playing. :(
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 04:50:06 pm »

... and then there was rise of legends, which is one of the few RTS games out there with a decently-ish done steampunk faction <3
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 05:30:03 pm »

I liked some of the Cold War scenarios (espionage was unique, the "install an allied puppet regime" scenarios were fun, etc) as well as the scenarios of a few other campaigns, but I still found that RoN had a lot less versatility in terms of scenario design than EE and AOE2. That isn't to say they weren't fun, though
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 05:31:04 pm »

Ya rise of legends was great
Now I have to find my copy of it and play it again

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 01:01:54 pm »

rise of nations was definitely a great, up there with empire earth 1/2, AOE1-3, age of mythology, etc.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 09:01:44 pm »

Yeah. Once stealth bombers appeared, fun was over.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: [1] 2