Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 827063 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #6615 on: August 27, 2019, 04:18:26 pm »

somekind of a stupid question but: i emptied some stuff from a nearby Garage and got a few usefull stuff to start building my first Vehicle (or at least the first parts of a future mobile base). the problem is that there's two options for Kilns, there's an Electric Kiln and then there's a Charcoal Kiln. i can craft both but the info says the electric one can be later converted to be used on a vehicle, i dont know if the Charcoal one can also be converted to vehicle too so im left wondering, can i make Charcoal out of an Electric Kiln too? or am i obligued to make the Charcoal Kiln anyways and there's later on an option to add it to the vehicle?

EDIT: nvm, i forgot there's an item browser.

UPDATE:

i had to craft the Charcoal thingy anyways becuase no way im gonna find and haul 40 rocks in a metropolis full of zombies. i got enough scrap metal and other chunks from a nearby vehicle to make the rest of the metalworking tools and components. the plan of this gameplay was to make some kind of post-apocalyptic Steampunk character with magical habilities rather than going full cyborg or mutant. instead i want to make use of old science to power up my survival.

so once i've gathered enough components i kinda want to try and make my mobile base around some sort of Locomotive/Steam Tank contraption. thankfully one of the mods adds a "Makeshift Steam Engine" via books so i have the engine part covered, now i have to figure out how to optimize the amount of coal necessary for moving around seeing as that i'll probably need to have a space in the vehicle to carry not only the fuel but also the water.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 08:15:19 pm by xaritscin »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6616 on: August 27, 2019, 09:00:35 pm »

I usually just level pistols and carry a holstered handcannon for things like shockers.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6617 on: August 28, 2019, 09:07:33 am »

One thing you can do is get a 200 gallon tank and put a funnel in it, they might, might have fixed the funnel thing not working, if not a a couple plastic jerry cnas all on funnels at a stationary location also work.

As for your coal problem, building a stationary charcoal furnace is leagues faster to load and unload then a mobile one.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6618 on: August 28, 2019, 11:57:50 am »

I have a question about the Arcana and Magic Items mod: I've noticed that some stuff is listed as a "magical focus". What does that mean?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6619 on: August 28, 2019, 12:16:50 pm »

M1911A1 handguns are non-functional. Their magazine is set to take .38 super class ammo, but .38 super is just stronger .38 ammo in-game, meaning they have no compatible ammo. Someone must have overlooked that when they merged real guns, where .38 super was in its own ammo class, into the mainline a while back.

Edit: Wait, nvm, .38 super FMJ are .38 super class ammo. They have 0 AP though, so the code there is only slightly less broken than I initially thought.

Oh, and someone added a bunch of common pistols with realistic volumes about a week ago, meaning realistic item volumes* might be on the way. This also indirectly fixes my KSG complaint from a while back since it is no longer the only gun with a volume that isn't a multiple of 250 ml.

*This should actually shrink most items slightly.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 01:37:37 pm by duckman »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6620 on: August 28, 2019, 12:58:04 pm »

That would be an easy pull request since it's just editing a .json file.

If you don't want to, I might do that later tonight for funsies.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6621 on: August 28, 2019, 03:42:18 pm »

ok the Steam Engine is done. but now im having a dilemma. i was thinking on having the outer walls of the vehicle reinforced with armor, the problem i see atm is that there's not much vehicles with Heavy Duty Frame on them. just took some of the frontal parts of a 4x4 and even then it was just a handfull of them (and they weight a lot).

so i need advice on this. would it be enough to just use regular Steel Frames? i foun an armored vehicle one or 2 squares east of the base but there was a horde moving towards it so i cant go and check it. crafting the frames would be another alternative but it takes a lot of materials to craft.

i wanted to have a transport with a balance between durability, speed and utility so it was originally going to have heavy frames in the outer layer and regular ones in the inside.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6622 on: August 28, 2019, 04:38:36 pm »

That would be an easy pull request since it's just editing a .json file.

If you don't want to, I might do that later tonight for funsies.
I would just wind up trying to add fancy/super fancy pants or make the pistol bandolier compatible with .22 ammo if I started, so go ahead if you'd like.
ok the Steam Engine is done. but now im having a dilemma. i was thinking on having the outer walls of the vehicle reinforced with armor, the problem i see atm is that there's not much vehicles with Heavy Duty Frame on them. just took some of the frontal parts of a 4x4 and even then it was just a handfull of them (and they weight a lot).

so i need advice on this. would it be enough to just use regular Steel Frames? i foun an armored vehicle one or 2 squares east of the base but there was a horde moving towards it so i cant go and check it. crafting the frames would be another alternative but it takes a lot of materials to craft.

i wanted to have a transport with a balance between durability, speed and utility so it was originally going to have heavy frames in the outer layer and regular ones in the inside.
Most vehicle parts in the base game have armor values in exchange for health now, so steel frames are actually quite tough with their damage reduction of 52.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6623 on: August 28, 2019, 05:50:27 pm »

yeah i was aware of that change but i didnt know if it really made an impact in regards to vehicle building, gonna check into using regular frames then.

EDIT:

welp, i got bored of this. not only it took a lot of time to craft the base hull of the machine but also had to make a cantilever to lift the vehicle and add the metal wheels (which seems to be non steerable so basically the steam tank wouldnt be able to turn around); and it also turns out i need to make some glass sheets and stuff to be able to make a reinforced windshield. there's too much materials to move around and im already down to finish my acetylene. is too much grind even for a moderately sized machinery.

better luck next time. between having to deal with zombies and farming supplies i cannot keep this project going on. perhaps in a regular map where i know there's plenty of raw materials to gather around without hordes moving on all corners destroying all the vehicle suitable for hijacking for parts.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 11:30:50 pm by xaritscin »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6624 on: August 29, 2019, 03:43:54 pm »

I have a question about the Arcana and Magic Items mod: I've noticed that some stuff is listed as a "magical focus". What does that mean?

Certain items can be assigned a flag that makes it so that, if you're wielding that item, you can cast spells that would normally require you to have your hands empty.

This is used in Arcana by the symbol of judgment, restored ritual blade, and a few other items because Paragon of The Veil spells are planned to require free hands to cast, so players focused on the tools associated with the Keepers of The Oath will be able to cast their unique spells while using said items.

Since spell foci aren't currently class-specific, one side effect is that Dragonblood spells can take advantage of these items too.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6625 on: August 30, 2019, 08:48:44 am »

Pigs doesn't accept cattle fodder. Can I tame them somehow else?
Love, scriver~

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6626 on: August 30, 2019, 09:17:44 am »

Pigs doesn't accept cattle fodder. Can I tame them somehow else?

Aren't pigs too smart to tame?  :P

Just looking at the wiki (and we all know how inaccurate that can be), it appears only piglets eat food.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6627 on: August 30, 2019, 09:37:38 am »

I looked at the wiki too but it didn't have "cattlefodder" tag for either horses or cows, only sheep, so I don't know what to make of it ;)
Love, scriver~

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6628 on: August 30, 2019, 11:27:51 am »

Pigs kept as livestock are probably too distrustful of humans to easily tame unless they planned on making rural family farm pigs a separate thing from factory farm pigs. I would argue that piglets might be ignorant enough to lure onto your slaughtering rack with food, however.

They, along with almost all dogs* and other obviously mountable animals, do have the "PET_MOUNTABLE" flag though.

*Impossible to ride. A Tiny, naked, near-dead-from-starvation mutant is still too heavy for a Great Pyrenees, the largest dog, to carry.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 12:12:26 pm by duckman »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6629 on: August 30, 2019, 12:08:35 pm »

last experimental changed the wheel mechanics, now you have to make an assembly and mount it on the vehicle and bolt the wheel on it. this allows you to basically change tires depending on the mount, and they also improved the way wheel repairs work so you can actually try to fix the thing instead ofh aving to dismount it and all that jazz.

oh and Braziers and Camp Chairs can be dissasembled among other things. thing that got me most interested in some kind of balancing to the charges per turn thing for light emitting tools, not sure if it applies to stuff like Candles, Glowsticks or Oil Lamps (i guess it should, but still) but there were moments where i kind of wanted to use those but felt that their charge didnt provide enough time for any meaningfull activity. i hope this fixes it, you dont always have an atomic lamp or electric source at hand.
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 451