Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 827358 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #6285 on: March 29, 2019, 05:06:50 am »

Theres a way to make a custom, 'foldable' car.  Making a car completely out of folding parts and giving one to the player, as well as any gas or etc that they need for it, would allow a player to.

There's also making a customized start locale.  Making a new 'house', and calling it 'myhouse' or some other unique identifier will allow you to mix it into neighborhoods and then in the game start files you can specify only that kind of house to start in.  Each house style has its own unique id.  Then giving it a garage with an undamaged vehicle that spawns 100% of the time will allow you to pick the kind of car.  The game will actually spawn new cars everywhere during worldgen, and then damage them as they are specified to be.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6286 on: March 29, 2019, 10:07:50 am »

Oh, I just realized PK's around. Welcome back. Any luck with the mod, or is Dissisocitivity's still the most up to date?

If you do resume working on yours, things are going to get complicated given I've sent updates to Diss' fork instead...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6287 on: March 29, 2019, 10:00:29 pm »

Hmm. I wish that there was a scenario where you're guaranteed to start with a working vehicle. Or maybe one where you've broken down somewhere and get a starting quest to find the parts to fix it.

There's a pro cyclist profession that starts with a folding bike.  Maybe the paperboy does too.  It even has a basket in the rear to haul stuff.

But that's probably not what you mean by "vehicle".
Doesn't that thing still unfold into a normal, non-folding bicycle? Not much room to haul in the wire basket of a bike either, iirc.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6288 on: March 29, 2019, 10:44:04 pm »

Meanwhile...

On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6289 on: March 29, 2019, 10:59:47 pm »

Hmm. I wish that there was a scenario where you're guaranteed to start with a working vehicle. Or maybe one where you've broken down somewhere and get a starting quest to find the parts to fix it.

There's a pro cyclist profession that starts with a folding bike.  Maybe the paperboy does too.  It even has a basket in the rear to haul stuff.

Doesn't that thing still unfold into a normal, non-folding bicycle? Not much room to haul in the wire basket of a bike either, iirc.

You can fold it by 'e'xamining it.  That said I'm playing a pro cyclist now and never felt the need to refold the bike.  So far also never had issues with storage on the bike either, but its not like I have two backpacks and two duffel bags worth of crap on my person 24/7.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6290 on: March 30, 2019, 12:15:53 am »

You can fold it by 'e'xamining it.  That said I'm playing a pro cyclist now and never felt the need to refold the bike.  So far also never had issues with storage on the bike either, but its not like I have two backpacks and two duffel bags worth of crap on my person 24/7.
I guess they added an exception in the code for the folding bicycle at some point. Weird since foldable-light frames have been in the game for quite a while.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6291 on: March 31, 2019, 06:24:59 am »

As of THIS PR you can only reinforce items made of cotton, wool, and leather.

I don't see why you can't reinforce everything with enough skill, but Kevin decided you can't so you can't.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6292 on: March 31, 2019, 01:11:02 pm »

Its particularly strange as he calls out metal items as things that are "impossible to reinforce", when, well, hi, RL would like to show you their reinforced baseball bat.

I can see a tag being added for specific items to make them to be unable to be reinforced for reasons(blades, for example), but blanket bans to reinforcing certain materials is daft.

-edit-

Also, it amuses me that the main stated reason from Kevin(atleast in the comments) is because bulk, weight, etc arent changed, thus reinforcing must be removed. Reason why they arent making that a thing "because you havent added it!!!"
I dont mean to seem rude or nasty, but if somethings an issue, the way to fix it isint fucking removing it, its fixing the fucking thing.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 01:14:33 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6293 on: March 31, 2019, 05:58:52 pm »

Seems like it would have been easier to just throw a small % increase in bulk/weight when reinforced.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6294 on: March 31, 2019, 06:03:08 pm »

Seems like it would have been easier to just throw a small % increase in bulk/weight when reinforced.

I like this idea, but I don't think it would work well for say, a sword. You can't exactly weld a piece of metal onto a sword and expect it to perform the same. Maybe just armor?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6295 on: March 31, 2019, 06:14:43 pm »

Pattern welding (intriguingly Google uses an apparently completely different definition for this than is common in construction/ heavy equipment people, gods the internet is so wierd) is a completely viable method of strengthening metal tools and weapons that uses very little metal and is very unlikely to compromise the item's utility.

Edit: okay I can't figure out what the technique I'm talking about is called in common net parlance right now, but it just means using welding tool (or soldering tool) to lay down a pattern, usually a square or triangular grid, on the surface of a tool or piece of equipment which helps decrease wear and reinforce structural integrity.  We used to use it all the time on our tools back in Colorado.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 06:24:46 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6296 on: March 31, 2019, 06:24:45 pm »

Pattern welding (intriguingly Google uses an apparently completely different definition for this than is common in construction/ heavy equipment people, gods the internet is so wierd) is a completely viable method of strengthening metal tools and weapons that uses very little metal and is very unlikely to compromise the item's utility.
Not to mention that reinforcing, say, a sword? That doesn't need to mean "weld a block of metal to the blade". If the crossguard is a removable piece, it could mean replacing/improving that. It could mean rebinding the hilt with better material. It could even somewhat abstractly represent the notion of regular oiling and sharpening.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6297 on: March 31, 2019, 06:32:29 pm »

Found it, they're calling it "hard facing" now.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6298 on: April 01, 2019, 09:32:04 am »

Nobody's against the idea of reinforcing metal stuff with an actual system that worked as intended. Thing is, nobody was going to add a system like that with a half-assed system for soldering scrap metal onto your car engine for better performance taking its place. Sometimes "good enough" limits contributors.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6299 on: April 01, 2019, 03:52:35 pm »

When you say 'works as intended' what do you mean? Intended by whom? It was already working as it was intended to work by the person who made it work that way.

Something not working as intended usually indicates a bug, this sounds more like a deliberate design change.
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 451