Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 827673 times)

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #6150 on: March 07, 2019, 08:59:59 pm »

Bet I know why the bayonet was moved to the underbarrel slot.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6151 on: March 07, 2019, 09:09:18 pm »

Yeah, I also have a feeling its due to someone unable to be assed to actually code the inability to use certain firemodes when certain things are on a gun. Which is disappointing, because I would love the ability to hand my random NPCs semi-auto limited battlerifles, assault rifles, or whatever.

And it must have been "we dont want to code exclusions for when underbarrel weapons can be fired" because that bayonet is clearly on the muzzle.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6152 on: March 07, 2019, 09:19:11 pm »

PTW
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6153 on: March 07, 2019, 09:55:33 pm »

Guys, I've said it more than once: the problem here is that we dont have an alternate dev team. DDA could be branched (or coolthulu's, or whatever), but there's noone really willing to take the bull by the horns. This is not criticism btw: I'm also not happy about the changes im recent years (and havent played the game since 2017. Not least because I not only dislike the changes, but find that it has become clunky as a result)  but I dont have the time or the experience to get into developing it.  And TBH I don't have the inclination either: I play videogames as a hobby. I dont have a keen interest in developing them.
I assume that many people here afe in the same situation.  But until/unless we find a team willingmto develop DDA in the direction we'd prefer we are pretty much screwed.

I dont really expect this Granade guy to change his mind. As I said in a previous post, it's his time and his effort, and thus at the end of the day unless someone else willing to do the job shows up he will be the one calling the shots

This, many times over. Kevin forked the game, and is making the game he wants; not surprisingly the people joining him on his fork also want that game. There's no special voodoo to creating a different fork.

No, he didn't. A whole team of mostly lovely, competent people forked the game. They drifted off over the years for a whole range of reasons. Kevin just happened to be the one obsessed enough with running shit mountain to stick around until basically nothing was left of the original DDA crew, and used his position to stomp out other devs with different ideas re: how DDA should continue.

A good number of the core members behind DDA were B12 regulars, after all. That, and Kevin not having admin privileges here, is why this thread isn't just another yes-man circlejerk.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6154 on: March 08, 2019, 12:59:19 am »

And we assholes just keep on having fun developing and playing the game under Kevin's branch. What a bunch of jerks, enjoying our hobby the way we want to enjoy it and openly encouraging people to start taking it in different directions if they have the skill to do so. Can you imagine the nerve?

Speaking of which, 0.D is out! Future releases are likely to be less than 4 years apart. IIRC more code and content was added between 0.C and 0.D than between the creation of the game and 0.C; the bar for a shorter release cycle is quite low. Nonetheless, plans for 0.E release features are well underway based on community polls, with a decent chance that this is going to be the Z-levels and NPCs release... Already some really good PRs in for some of the easier to reach features there.

(I'm particularly keen on the relatively mundane addition of roofs to most buildings, which is currently underway and will make it a whole thing to climb onto rooftops and snipe zombies in the street below.)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 01:05:36 am by Erk »
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #6155 on: March 08, 2019, 01:06:59 am »

Can somebody change the thread title to "C:DDA: Meta-development thread," as the current title incorrectly suggests that we're actually talking about the game itself (for more than one game-related post per page)?

I had thought I might get involved with C:DDA development at some point. It seems that would require rather more tedium than I thought - instead of just focusing on the game, it seems I will have to defend my changes from accusations of unrealism even if there's evidence to back up my position (see: ceremonial bone armor exists IRL, rejected anyway.)

I could do JSON mods of course - I don't now any variant of C right now, I can possibly figure out JSON, and people can *choose* if they want to use my mod or not.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6156 on: March 08, 2019, 01:08:14 am »

Official site still makes no mention of 0.D.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6157 on: March 08, 2019, 01:34:19 am »

Can somebody change the thread title to "C:DDA: Meta-development thread," as the current title incorrectly suggests that we're actually talking about the game itself (for more than one game-related post per page)?

I had thought I might get involved with C:DDA development at some point. It seems that would require rather more tedium than I thought - instead of just focusing on the game, it seems I will have to defend my changes from accusations of unrealism even if there's evidence to back up my position (see: ceremonial bone armor exists IRL, rejected anyway.)

I could do JSON mods of course - I don't now any variant of C right now, I can possibly figure out JSON, and people can *choose* if they want to use my mod or not.

I've added a huge amount of stuff and never had any trouble having to back up stuff... I either back it up, or I don't add stuff that is obviously debate worthy if I don't feel like backing it up. If you are legit interested in contributing, there's a ton of JSON mapping to be done, right now there's a great big project to add more Z-levels and expand cities, as well as update furniture options in buildings to use a bunch of the new terrain and items. It's easy, rewarding stuff, feel free to PM me.

It only came out like an hour or two ago, give us some time to post it places.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 01:35:56 am by Erk »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6158 on: March 08, 2019, 02:00:03 am »

Whoops. Didn't know how long it'd been released, been out and about most of the evening.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6159 on: March 08, 2019, 03:33:05 am »

I've added a huge amount of stuff and never had any trouble having to back up stuff... I either back it up, or I don't add stuff that is obviously debate worthy if I don't feel like backing it up. If you are legit interested in contributing, there's a ton of JSON mapping to be done, right now there's a great big project to add more Z-levels and expand cities, as well as update furniture options in buildings to use a bunch of the new terrain and items. It's easy, rewarding stuff, feel free to PM me.

seems like theres still real progress being made and no shortage of peeps ready to put in if it fits their vision.  Or things could always get forked in a third direction as well

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6160 on: March 08, 2019, 09:13:13 am »

Guys, I've said it more than once: the problem here is that we dont have an alternate dev team. DDA could be branched (or coolthulu's, or whatever), but there's noone really willing to take the bull by the horns. This is not criticism btw: I'm also not happy about the changes im recent years (and havent played the game since 2017. Not least because I not only dislike the changes, but find that it has become clunky as a result)  but I dont have the time or the experience to get into developing it.  And TBH I don't have the inclination either: I play videogames as a hobby. I dont have a keen interest in developing them.
I assume that many people here afe in the same situation.  But until/unless we find a team willingmto develop DDA in the direction we'd prefer we are pretty much screwed.

I dont really expect this Granade guy to change his mind. As I said in a previous post, it's his time and his effort, and thus at the end of the day unless someone else willing to do the job shows up he will be the one calling the shots

This, many times over. Kevin forked the game, and is making the game he wants; not surprisingly the people joining him on his fork also want that game. There's no special voodoo to creating a different fork.

No, he didn't. A whole team of mostly lovely, competent people forked the game. They drifted off over the years for a whole range of reasons. Kevin just happened to be the one obsessed enough with running shit mountain to stick around until basically nothing was left of the original DDA crew, and used his position to stomp out other devs with different ideas re: how DDA should continue.

A good number of the core members behind DDA were B12 regulars, after all. That, and Kevin not having admin privileges here, is why this thread isn't just another yes-man circlejerk.

100% this.  The only things Kevin has actually added to the game is tedium, and the game doesn't really have too big of a fanbase anymore because of it.  And reading through this discussion, I pity you Erk, cause right now you might enjoy it, but there WILL come a time something will be "changed" where you're like "why would you do that Kev?" and he'll definitely attack you and belittle you for questioning it, and the yes-men over there will dogpile you for your heretical question of the word of Kevin, and you'll be exactly where the rest of us have been.

He's not a good game developer, and is the epitome of the basement dweller stereotype who doesn't want people to enjoy things.  His mission is clearly to just alter the game in ways he knows will illicit complaint so he can rub his nipples a la South Park cable company.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6161 on: March 08, 2019, 09:48:01 am »

seems like theres still real progress being made and no shortage of peeps ready to put in if it fits their vision.  Or things could always get forked in a third direction as well
Yeah, it's a very active community where by and large we're having a good time, as the number of contributors that have been sticking around for months and years, and the current frenzied pace of additions, demonstrates.

Currently there's a big push for more lore after a couple really good writing sessions. I'm pretty excited for the next phase that is likely to come out over the next couple months. I'd far rather talk about that, but this thread seems to be dedicated to focused bitching and open insulting and incredibly rude patronizing of people; so, I'd highly recommend people interested in talking about cataclysm check out reddit.com/r/cataclysmdda/ or discourse.cataclysmdda.org; I'm i_am_erk in both places and would be happy to chat with you about stuff we're doing. Any attempt to discuss the game here seems to be immediately redirected into complaining about one of its developers.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 09:52:43 am by Erk »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6162 on: March 08, 2019, 07:31:19 pm »

Yeah, it's a very active community where by and large we're having a good time, as the number of contributors that have been sticking around for months and years, and the current frenzied pace of additions, demonstrates.

Almost every major contributor is no longer with the project. Some because Kevin outright banned them from the git because he woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

I'm guessing you're too new to remember why "shield rework pr" is significant.

And hey, you may not like it, but pretty much all the good new content gets overshadowed by the bad shit. Most of us are also playing on old, less bad builds. Every time I open the launcher and read new updates I spot some additional bit of stupid shit.

Don't worry though, you'll learn. Like corrosive said, you'll eventually have your day where Kevin decides to throw a spastic, socially inept tantrum about something you want to do too, and blast you with the full fury of a thousand scraggly neckbeards if you say anything back to him.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6163 on: March 08, 2019, 07:53:23 pm »

Currently there's a big push for more lore after a couple really good writing sessions. I'm pretty excited for the next phase that is likely to come out over the next couple months. I'd far rather talk about that, but this thread seems to be dedicated to focused bitching and open insulting and incredibly rude patronizing of people; so, I'd highly recommend people interested in talking about cataclysm check out reddit.com/r/cataclysmdda/ or discourse.cataclysmdda.org; I'm i_am_erk in both places and would be happy to chat with you about stuff we're doing. Any attempt to discuss the game here seems to be immediately redirected into complaining about one of its developers.
I seemed to remember the Reddit having plenty as well complaining about it as well, till it seemed like people were slowly but surely leaving because of how kevin did things.

At least I assumed they left, I don't want to assume some just got banned.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6164 on: March 08, 2019, 09:24:43 pm »

People could afford to take the edge off of some of their remarks in here.  We've had situations before where discussion of a game has had to accommodate some meta-discussion (including on this game over the years), and I think it's fine if people just talk past each other a bit.  At least I don't think we've needed to try two threads before.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 451