Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 403 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 827381 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #6000 on: February 05, 2019, 09:35:20 pm »

I really wish I'd had the foresight to save some older builds without all the horseshit before all of this went down.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6001 on: February 05, 2019, 09:42:04 pm »

I kinda have to stick to new builds because I'm maintaining several mods, especially Arcana. For every PR full of bullshit there's at least one more PR that adds stuff I can make use of.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6002 on: February 06, 2019, 06:24:50 am »

well at least the project is still moving forward, im guessing "kevin" isn't active here.  Whats the possibility of promoting other forks and gathering up new contributors from here.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #6003 on: February 06, 2019, 11:14:50 am »

So you might be thinking, why not start a new fork, have all the people go over there and work on their own version? Well, it's been tried, but Kevin also has control of the website, wiki, and forums and is most definitely not going to go to any lengths to include or promote a rival fork in those. So any fork is going to have to start from nothing, with no real way to connect to what remains of the community, outside maybe talking about it here. Getting all the remaining small contributors to move over, trying to rouse up enough interest to get new contributors in, and building a new community from scratch would take a lot of time, effort, and energy and it just seems like no one in a position to do so has the drive to.
Kevin generally doesn't post, but does regularly read this thread, afaik.

In related findings, I noticed that yet again over 50% of the posts over the last several months have been complaining about the meta or dev(s).
Think we can keep it civil and productive?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 11:17:31 am by n9103 »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #6005 on: February 06, 2019, 02:40:44 pm »

When one side stops treating the other with respect, that other side usually follows suit. When that happens, usually the main way to restore relations is for one side to begin treating the other with respect again.

To put it quite bluntly, I don't think that's possible here. For that matter, I don't think things are gonna end well at all. They haven't exactly begun well...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6006 on: February 06, 2019, 02:42:07 pm »

Think we can keep it civil and productive?
doubt it
We're more civil and destructive around here.
Robsoie occasionally posts stories from his playthroughs.  Those are always fun, so its not all griping.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6007 on: February 08, 2019, 06:47:34 pm »

When one side stops treating the other with respect, that other side usually follows suit. When that happens, usually the main way to restore relations is for one side to begin treating the other with respect again.

To put it quite bluntly, I don't think that's possible here. For that matter, I don't think things are gonna end well at all. They haven't exactly begun well...

This is pretty much the issue. People complain about Kevin because his ego has taken over the project, he treats everyone that doesn't yes-man for him like dirt, and he actively pushes changes that reduce player choice and increase tedium with little or no benefit because for some reason he thinks Cataclysm is meant to be a contemporary LMOE Romero-zombie survival game and not a cyberpunk post-apoc melange. That's unlikely to ever change, so things won't become more positive.

Basically imagine if Project Zomboid was flat 2D and several times more tedious. That appears to be his target ideal.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6008 on: February 08, 2019, 09:09:38 pm »

so basically to contribute u need to really push tedium and "survival realism" or just throw enough code commits and see what sticks, that's where some of the mods are useful because it adds some flavour, that said im sure some form of fork could be started up here, just to put alternative ideas out there.

For anyone who has been rejected with commits but want to contribute to open source projects - the pioneer space sim project could always do with contributors and they do tend to be a bit more welcoming, there are also xangband type games still in open source and a few other similar games around here such as auroraRL and prospector that could always do with active contributions of code

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6009 on: February 09, 2019, 03:24:43 am »

Whats the possibility of promoting other forks and gathering up new contributors from here.
I don't see why you couldn't promote them here, I mean the original cataclysm started here.

Also if you play new the newest version the recipe for batteries was removed in this.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6010 on: February 09, 2019, 05:33:38 am »

I might not be an electrician of any kind, but how is the electricity provided by one kind of battery "incompatible" compared to another kind of battery? Last I checked, you could light up a bulb using a potato just as possibly as a Duracell-brand battery. With enough potatoes, you could theoretically power a city.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6011 on: February 09, 2019, 05:57:30 am »

Also if you play new the newest version the recipe for batteries was removed in this.

I knew exactly what that was without even opening the link. Amazing.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6012 on: February 09, 2019, 06:11:15 am »

I might not be an electrician of any kind, but how is the electricity provided by one kind of battery "incompatible" compared to another kind of battery? Last I checked, you could light up a bulb using a potato just as possibly as a Duracell-brand battery. With enough potatoes, you could theoretically power a city.

You've hit upon the closest thing to funny about the whole affair. Dude has this obsession with realism but is too ignorant/lazy to do the groundwork to actually make things realistic. He just removes the sci-fi/cyberpunk/ease-of-life stuff he thinks is badwrongplay.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #6013 on: February 09, 2019, 09:07:24 am »

well at least the project is still moving forward
So, uh, the game just changed in a manner that made the player objectively weaker (the removal of an ability) in a manner that isn’t realistic?

There’s probably several people who would have disputed your statement before, and I’m one of them now.

You know, that reminds me...

I recall seeing in the old CDDA forums a thread titled something along the lines of “All the ‘realistic’ balance changes have ruined the game”. I can’t recall most of it, but the final lines went something like:

Quote from: Upset player
Have fun in five months, when you’ll be managing toenail clipping and I’ll be playing something worth my time.

How long before we get that added as a feature?

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6014 on: February 09, 2019, 11:16:31 am »

You can whip up a "power cell" that gives whatever voltage you like, assuming you're able to get some batteries and such.  If you built your own cell, chemistry and all, you might have trouble with getting a nice smooth regulated output though, which would be problematic in sensitive equipment.  But for stuff like lights, like you say, you can use an array of potatoes.

So separating "Power cell" "regulated power cell" and "high precision regulated cells" requiring more and more electronics skill might not be totally stupid.  But obviously, you'd implement all this at once, not just chop out the existing thing and put in half of this.

I don't want to hunt for various wattage resistors, alkaline chemicals, and the right metals to realistically build batteries so my flashlight works. That's too much realism for too little fun.
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 403 ... 451