Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 827733 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #5805 on: October 14, 2018, 12:54:53 pm »

Yeah, smashing beds gives rags, taking it apart gives blankets worth more rags.
Not a mattress? So unrealistic!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5806 on: October 14, 2018, 01:08:21 pm »

The matress is represented by two blankets, I dont think it has an actual blanket on top.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5807 on: October 14, 2018, 01:57:15 pm »

He hasnt made a knife yet.
I had plenty of cutting item, unfortunately in those regular looting expedition and dropping the loot at the homebase i unfortunately got rid of anything that could cut.
Leading me to have to go back to base with the blankets in order to get my rags.

Decided to check on the latest experimental to see what changed since the one i'm using (from this summer) and after loading my save and noticing several errors related to some "pot helmet XL", "2x4" and "dry_mushroom_magic"  , then finally got a serious crash ingame after playing around for 5mn i finally went back to my previous experimental as i like that current character run and want to keep playing it.

While walking around for a few minutes in the latest experimental it seems that long grass is now a thing because they slow you down (and play the "climb over" sound from my sound pack repeatedly considering there's a lot of long grass everywhere) .
More annoyingly, those long grass didn't appeared on the tileset i was using so considering they slow you down it's just terribly bad when you're hunted to not know where they are.

Unfortunately it looks like the author will not update his tileset anymore

There's this one that has some similarity with it (though some different sprites for most monsters) and is still updated that will show the long grass :
https://github.com/SomeDeadGuy/Cata-MSX-DeadPeopleTileset

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 01:58:56 pm by Robsoie »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5808 on: October 14, 2018, 10:32:47 pm »

He hasnt made a knife yet.
Yes, I know. I was confirming their theories.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5809 on: October 16, 2018, 06:49:05 am »

Some good news
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some bad news

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #5810 on: October 16, 2018, 03:22:38 pm »

Was there any significant positive changes lately? Was there enough positive changes made from 0.C to justify playing later versions instead of just firing up ye olde 0.C (wiki troubles aside)? Just asking, because i didn't seen much there except screaming at ridicolous changes and killed(?) attempt at making player-made settlements. And in game (version from around 4 month ago. No immediately noticeable idiocy. Still have it, just in case.  :P) i have seen some "birds" (apparently with dog's AI) and domestic animals running around. And "weird, but fine" merging of construction and fabrication skills.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 03:24:46 pm by MCreeper »
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5811 on: October 16, 2018, 03:46:24 pm »

Cataclysm is one of those weird games where the "experimental" version is A) usually more stable than the 'stable' release, and B) almost a completely different game after enough time has passed, which is the case in this situation.

Like you might as well be asking what's the same, it's a smaller list.

Of course, you're talking about a version from "4 months ago," which... You know, ISN'T the 0.C release, so I don't know what you're asking here.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #5812 on: October 16, 2018, 04:40:48 pm »

I'm futilely asking "what version makes most sense/most enjoyable", as many before me.  :P
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5813 on: October 16, 2018, 05:52:16 pm »

Eh, I always just grab the latest nightly.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5814 on: October 16, 2018, 06:06:10 pm »

There are so much changes (good or bad) bugs fixed and new introduced etc... that it's hard to definitively point to a version that fully is satisfying (it's a bit similar to DCSS too i can't find a version that fully satisfy me, lots of good removed, good added, bad removed and bad added that it's impossible to me to point to a favorite).

From time to time i toy with an experimental and then was always going back to old version 0.9 (from 2013) but recently i have been sticking with an experimental i am playing since +/- this summer that i am enjoying enough (with some nice tileset and a soundpack that improve the atmosphere a lot to me) to not yet go back to my old 0.9.

I have tried a few newer experimental versions but crashed a bit too much without knowing why (as there was no ingame error message to report and nothing in the log that i could report, i wonder if it has to do with that world save that was created in an older version before some of the important change) to have any fun, there's apparently several changed game mechanics since the summer version i'm still using but i'll wait until the whole thing get more stable (as while there have been some errors messages, i never yet crashed with the experimental i use) to try again a newer version and see how the game is after those changes.
After all they're trying to go for a stable 0.D "soon".

Anyways, there have been some events for my character since my last report
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 06:12:39 pm by Robsoie »

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5815 on: October 16, 2018, 08:47:51 pm »

I believe it instantly mends broken bones, as well as possibly healing regular damage.

It has a 10% chance to instead do a bad though.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #5816 on: October 17, 2018, 01:05:19 am »

About which build or whatever is the best one...

Again, I don't play very much because much of the time I don't make it past the first few days...

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5817 on: October 17, 2018, 08:32:05 am »

I'm futilely asking "what version makes most sense/most enjoyable", as many before me.  :P

I've personally always played the latest experimental unless there's something problematic or a new feature just got added but makes the game hard to play due to not being tweaked yet, in which case I may hold back on updating further for a bit. The wiki might be out of date on a bunch of stuff, but you can still make use of the CDDA item browser, and if you have any question about mechanics or strategies, the CDDA discord is very helpful. The game is basically open source so you can also just have a look at the files and code and figure out all the intricacies of certain mechanics with some quick searches. Usually, if an addition or change is very divisive you'll soon have a mod that disables or changes it which you can use if you absolutely must have it the old way to have fun. I personally just get used to the new balance and push onward.

Don't be scared of the crashes either. You can enable the autosave in the options, the default settings for it save the game every 5 minutes and 50 turns. Coupled with the game's relatively short loading times, this means a crash doesn't really cost you much time at all most of the time. With the current version, crashes haven't been super common, but they'll still usually happen once or twice a day depending on how long I play.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5818 on: October 17, 2018, 12:43:45 pm »

Ran into a game mechanic i never experienced so far and that annoyed me so much i just stopped playing.

It started well

But from there

It was sad but i didn't noticed at the time what exactly happened.
After  that i started to notice my character mood falling into the red " ): " , i thought it had to do with the loss of a team member, though that team member was not one for much long, and i had lost in battle many friendly NPC already without that kind of morale hit, so it was a bit puzzling there.

And that got much wronger

I was so annoyed i just stopped playing, there are people suggesting that editing the save could help solve this problem in case someone run into that crap and want to still keep playing :
https://old.reddit.com/r/cataclysmdda/comments/2uqdik/how_do_i_cure_depression/coas8pb/
Will be back for the eventual 0.D release but i'll go play something else meanwhile.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 12:47:46 pm by Robsoie »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5819 on: October 17, 2018, 04:59:23 pm »

Any ideas why I can't find vehicle welding rig in the crafting menu? I've two books with the recipe on hand, and both fabrication and electronics two levels above the required 4 (as per the wiki). Is there something else I need?
For clarity: it's not that I'm missing components, the recipe isn't even listed.
I'm playing the experimental from a few days back.

edit: nvrmnd - that's just a wonky wiki I've been using
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 05:28:44 pm by Il Palazzo »
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 451