Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 827619 times)

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #5565 on: July 20, 2018, 09:40:39 pm »

Which leads us to another feature that I wish existed, but this is probably near-impossible to actually implement right: starting the game during the end of the world, rather than after.
Would have to agree, it's not a remotely quick fix and the existing features aren't stable enough to attempt building out the AI.  Even if the features were stable, no-go without a template class for A* pathfinding and proper probability modeling.  (Instantiate A* pathfinding to deal with all of crafting, construction, and vehicles, not just travel.  Probability modeling allows knowing the actual best melee weapon, etc.)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5566 on: July 20, 2018, 11:59:16 pm »

Can you not build vehicles that pass indoors now? Every base I set up eventually had a fortified solar farm on a frame that fed into a fully working kitchen and light setup inside. It wasn't a fast project but it was stable and the utility you get from a setup like that should require some considerable effort, imo.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: July 21, 2018, 09:57:39 am »

Can you not build vehicles that pass indoors now? Every base I set up eventually had a fortified solar farm on a frame that fed into a fully working kitchen and light setup inside. It wasn't a fast project but it was stable and the utility you get from a setup like that should require some considerable effort, imo.
As far as I know you can still do this, and I always do it but I use the jumper cables instead of frames to get inside.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: July 21, 2018, 09:20:13 pm »

Been playing around a bit with the new NPC changes, and it seems a step in a good direction. You need to micro them a lot more than I would like, and I would rather they not just vanish when they go off to do whatever job, but so far it seems pretty decent. I'd like to see them idle around in the base too now that there are clearly delineated boundaries for them, but that might be a bit too much of a performance hit to be worth the extra immersion. Right now what I'm not really seeing is the benefit to it. I admittedly haven't taken it super far (The "main" base has a wooden command post, three tents, and a dining area with a kitchen under construction, and I've got two farms and a separate kitchen building built so far,) but right now it seems like I put far more work into the place than I get out of that investment. Am I just too early and the dividends come once it's better established?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5569 on: July 22, 2018, 12:33:05 am »

Autodocs could use more medical functions so they actually live up to their name. Maybe add tapeworm/brain parasite removal and limited healing ability, like Mr. Stem Cell except it doesn't melt your entire skeleton 1/6 of the time.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: July 22, 2018, 03:59:25 pm »

Hey, there a list somewhere of mods that are still being kept up to date but are not included in the base game? I checked the forums(although it might not have been the right one, it being smf.cataclysmdda.com) and the list there was last updated in 2016 and jsut doing a google search is less than helpful.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5572 on: July 22, 2018, 05:14:40 pm »

Thank you.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5573 on: July 23, 2018, 12:21:27 am »

Meanwhile in Arcana mod, I've been doing something mildly productive lately:

https://github.com/chaosvolt/cdda-arcana-mod/pull/29
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5574 on: July 23, 2018, 03:22:53 am »

I got a reasonably strong character for the first time in some time thanks to a lucky find of a mace in the mansion I converted into a home base leading into a lucky find of a naginata! in an antique shop, and I think I had an epic moment.

I never realized I could do this with melee weapons, thinking it was only limited to things like shotguns, but I got attacked by a group of coyotes while hauling a bike full of loot (the grass was too hard to bike through) and with a single attack my character literally chopped one of those coyotes into meat chunks that flew off in 3 different directions.  Not only that but the other coyotes immediately stopped attacking.  I think I just scared the crap outta them.  Yes I know the sudden appearance of meat probably is what calmed them, but I can dream.

I think I made a badass.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5575 on: July 23, 2018, 04:12:45 am »

Martial arts techniques with large blades can be pretty brutal. Drawing a blank on the name, but the one with elemental stances (Flow like water?) could let you cut Brutes in half, anime-style.

The downside is you have to get that close and can only dominate one or two things at a time.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: July 23, 2018, 05:03:04 am »

FYI: Quill18 started doing a Cataclysm Let's Play a few days ago.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: July 23, 2018, 11:28:40 pm »

Yaknow, I really wish that one can transfer fluids in the same manner as one can now shift power between vehicles. Would be rather nice, even if it required, say, special "pump" parts on each end, or on one end and a faucet on the other.
Highly Opinionated Fool

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: July 24, 2018, 05:29:58 am »

The rapid punch and rapid slash attacks for Bionic Combatives have the exact same damage and speed modifiers as well as the same requirements to perform*. They can probably be merged into a single technique with appropriate flavor text like "you quickly attack %s" now that Bionic Combatives is a purely unarmed style rather than the hybrid armed/unarmed style** it was when it was first introduced.

Edit: *Basically the same, at least. The only difference is that the slash requires an allowed weapon to perform, with you basically making rapid attacks twice as often with bionic claws or the monomolecular blade as you did with your fists. If it's for balance, they can just increase the weighting of the new technique like Fencing does with most of its own techniques to neutralize the default rapid attack of its allowed weapons.

**IIRC, most of the techniques for Bionic Combatives used to work with just about any melee weapon you decided to wield while it was active, so impaling and cleaving zombies with a bit of rebar or a manhole cover was possible.

Edit2: Actually, I don't think unarmed weapons were a thing yet when Bionic Combatives was introduced. That's why the bashing skill is still linked to the cestus, razorbar katar, and steel knuckle recipe.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 06:22:28 pm by duckman »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: July 24, 2018, 10:48:17 am »

And the addition to Arcana is now part of the master branch, waited long enough for feedback and made sure things actually worked. Next part I'm going to work on will be adding higher-level recipes allowing the player to craft an item from the relevant magic seal, which when used has a chance of permanently granting the related arcane blessing.

Some points I'm thinking over:
1. The 15 different magic seal recipes are spread out across 5 levels of arcana, so the same structure will probably apply to their permanent versions.
2. Which books allow learning which spells is something I haven't fully settled on yet. I have a few rough ideas, like Ward Against Evil being tied to The Cleansing Flame, and the ones that are also accessible via the restored ritual blade will LIKELY be in Oaths to The Chalice. I'm also unsure if Clarity of Blood should go in The Cleansing Flame or Sanguine Codex.
 2a. The Six Pillars also might get some spells. This could fit what base items are allowed for crafting the scrolls, or it could be decided based on which magic seals make the most sense thematically. For example, Shockstorm could be available from The Six Pillars because its reagent (a wind fragment) can be used to craft a scroll of discord, or it could NOT be available because it doesn't thematically fit any of the scrolls effects.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 451