Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 827753 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #4920 on: November 02, 2017, 05:14:28 am »

what

Has this been in the game for a while? Whose idea was it why did Kevin think it was a good idea to make the player wash clothes? Does it provide a happiness bonus or something?

Yeah, I recall presenting a few objections to the idea a long time ago.

1. There is no gameplay benefit gained from this feature.
2. In my opinion it doesn't discourage the player from using zombie clothing anywhere NEAR as much as the random damage does.
3. It was if I recall mandatory when first added, with it being mod-shifted AFTER they realized this feature kinda shouldn't be forced on players.
4. Poor initial implementation, with no detergent, no practical effects like DF-style infection risk, etc.

This...sadly is the sorta thing I saw happen a lot. Night-Pryanik by now has been kinda infamous for poorly-thought-out realism-focused PRs. They usually EVENTUALLY salvage the feature, but the developers have a bad "implement now, fix later" attitude.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: November 04, 2017, 10:59:25 pm »

Why can't I disassemble all these reloaded rounds I keep finding in LMOE shelters? I either don't have the gun or the ammo is literally less useful than the materials that were used to make them.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: November 05, 2017, 05:12:54 am »

Why can't I disassemble all these reloaded rounds I keep finding in LMOE shelters? I either don't have the gun or the ammo is literally less useful than the materials that were used to make them.
I would assume because there's no disassembly recipe.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: November 05, 2017, 01:27:29 pm »

One of the reasons why it is decent to keep arround a fair few weapons, jsut in storage.

And also one reason why I really wish we had something like the Medusa revolver added, or that someone would fix the screwed up caliber conversion kits.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: November 05, 2017, 09:34:31 pm »

There is a brass puller in the latest experimental, and it's worked for me with .38 rounds. Is it just missing recipes for some less common ammunition?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: November 05, 2017, 09:40:02 pm »

Thats been in for a while. Handloaded and reloaded ammunition just dont have disassembly recipes.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: November 05, 2017, 11:55:10 pm »

Thats been in for a while. Handloaded and reloaded ammunition just dont have disassembly recipes.

And no idea why. My guess is simply it's more work to add uncrafts. Or maybe they think it's somehow good for gameplay, which it isn't.

Meanwhile in CDDA modding... https://github.com/chaosvolt/cdda-arcana-mod/pull/22
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: November 06, 2017, 12:19:54 am »

It's really just the rare ammo that go with the rare guns that's the problem. A lot of them use excessive amounts of powder and lead in their recipes, meaning you can make three or four smaller bullets with them provided you have the casings and primer to go with them.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: November 06, 2017, 04:35:56 am »

And no idea why. My guess is simply it's more work to add uncrafts. Or maybe they think it's somehow good for gameplay, which it isn't.
I'm pretty sure it's just because nobody's gotten around to adding them. That's usually the case when it comes to things like these.
You want to fix it, just fix it. Add the recipes and make a pull request.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: November 08, 2017, 01:27:14 pm »

So....dumb question. It's been 2.5 years since the last "official" release. Are there plans for a new official release anytime before the *actual* zombie apocalypse?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: November 08, 2017, 02:47:22 pm »

Really depends on how many release blockers there are.  If I understand correctly, they do a feature freeze before a release where no new features are allowed in and only bugfixes are permitted for a month or two.  That hasn't happened.  Instead if a major bug is introduced it seems to be fixed in a day or two by whoever introduced that bug in the first place, while the older bugs listed as release blockers (and most of those are hardly even noticeable, they are as much polish as anything) tend to just sit around and gather dust.

From my own limited experience in the github and forums over there, it's because what bugs are there are minor and/or difficult to fix, and those who play the game semi regularly already know there is little difference between a stable release and one of the experimentals.  At this point I really would consider the experimentals as the only source of the game, they are just as good as stable as often as not, and if you do encounter a major bug you can just go a few experimentals back or wait a day and usually be fine.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 02:48:55 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: November 11, 2017, 12:02:30 am »

Is the poor mood combat penalty supposed to make you sound worthlessly inept? A -3 mood penalty hardly seems like "Why even bother fighting?" levels of depression.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: November 14, 2017, 01:49:37 am »

Just fyi, the smf site imploded and we migrated to discourse.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: November 16, 2017, 02:29:32 am »

I saw that on the reddits. What happened?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: November 21, 2017, 01:11:54 pm »

The proximate cause was a bad .htaccess file in the and site root, no idea how it got there, I'm guessing someone was doing some maintenance and either added that file, or upgraded the apache install to a version that was unhappy about it.

Turns out to be a good thing though, the lease on that hosting is expiring in March anyway and this got me to kick off the migration. I had no intention of self-hosting a different smf or phpbb or whatever forum, I settled on discourse a while back and I've been happy with it so far, especially since I get professional-grade hosting for free since dda is open source.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 451