Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 826607 times)

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #4575 on: April 01, 2017, 10:50:47 am »

Was pain increased recently, or have I just gotten used to having 3+ layers of heavily tailored armor on? I think I used to be able to take on groups with <20 pain and reliably take them out, but now I'm getting the pain spiral if I encounter two skeletons at 14 pain.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: April 03, 2017, 08:42:54 pm »

Playing this a little bit again lastnight and today.

I still desperately want the ability to place items in bags/other containers, so that I can drop/pick-up the bag with all contents.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: April 03, 2017, 08:53:24 pm »

IIRC the game already considers dropping a container and a bunch of items as dropping the items in the container (assuming they all fit) as far as time goes.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: April 03, 2017, 11:32:44 pm »

Yeah but that can bite you in the ass.

*drops duffel bag before getting into melee fight*

*lots of items drop with it*

*melee weapon breaks/gets pulled out of hand/you want your gun instead*

"okay I'll just wield my... wait, wheres my backup weapon/gun/non-metal weapon for shockers?"

*looks back at pile of stuff with duffle bag*

"Well shit."

On a more serious note, do want to be able to have a bag with my breaking and entering kit, a duffel with my camping out kit, a bag with my fixing/building/dismantling kit, etc.

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: April 04, 2017, 12:01:29 am »

When  you drop the bag all your gear ends up on the floor but if you pick it up again you have to manualy pick up the items again.
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: April 04, 2017, 01:53:54 am »

Seems about right to me. 

You drop the stuff in a hurry and it tumbles out.  Not all of the good storage clothes have zippers after all.  If there was a really easy way for someone to code backpacks or something holding their stuff so you only have to pick up the backpack again without making inventory management even more obtuse I'd be all for it.   But the current implementation does not seem very immersion breaking consitering how much work would probably need to be done to fix it.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: April 04, 2017, 05:41:01 am »

I don't know code, so I might be completely wrong, but it seems like an easy hack to code it would be if there's an object with storage being picked up along with a bunch of other stuff, the other stuff doesn't count toward the pick-up time, only the storage object. It wouldn't be very realistic and would be pretty exploitable, but there's not really that many scenarios where it would be a significant exploit anyway.
Nothing important here, move along.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: April 04, 2017, 07:54:12 am »

I just get a car and stuff everything I find in 9 boxes then craft in the middle of them.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: April 04, 2017, 08:02:42 am »

Yeah, it would need to be stuff like boxes & bags only.

It seems like it should be an essential feature to me for a game that's so big on inventory management and preparation.  You carefully arrange your gear so that your essentials are on your person.  You have a backpack with extra resources tailored to what your purpose is on the outing, which can be dropped to deal with tough situations, or abandoned if need be.  And some sort of carry bag for collecting stuff and moving it around.  Taking the time to plan your load-out as such would be both a huge immersion and quality of life booster.  And I imagine interface-wise it could be really easy.  Just make a "Load" function for certain kinds of storage items, that initiates choosing items to be placed inside.  Then an Unload that is the same in reverse.  This also makes it so items you're carrying around in a bag aren't instant access, which is another immersion boost.  You have to open that backpack up and dig around in it.  Makes pocket storage that much more essential.

But alas, this is something I've brought up a few times over the years.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: April 04, 2017, 09:44:19 am »

Depends on how you look at it.  More time up-front, but less time fussing over inventory when you're in the action, and it's more important.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: April 05, 2017, 07:37:21 am »

You can't even swap out the water in a fire engine/truck for gas and then turn the water throwers into flame-throwers : /

Edit: I also can't make a "lance" of metal with a Napalm-gas-tank on it, without silly workarounds : /
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 01:39:27 pm by ThtblovesDF »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: April 05, 2017, 08:06:23 am »

You can with a custom item.  But flame/acid throwers will need some 'workarounds'.  Not hacking, thats what it would be if it were hardcoded.

I too wish to have acidhoses.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: April 05, 2017, 01:19:54 pm »

Did they remove cargo spaces being fold-able? Could have sworn I enabled the fold-able parts & vehicle addition packs. I mean, a cargo-space is literally just a flat board with ropes and cinches for securing stuff, you could easily make one that could fold.

Hmm. This is gonna crimp my usual pack rat style of looting if I can't just haul around a huge fold-able cart in my RV. Wire baskets just don't have enough space. There's those ooze parts that have tons of storage space but I have no clue how those even work. Guess I'll just have to work out a new way of doing things.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: April 05, 2017, 08:42:49 pm »

Edit: I also can't make a "lance" of metal with a Napalm-gas-tank on it, without silly workarounds : /

Don't gas tanks often explode if damaged too much? I always see small hordes around cars in cities spontaneously combust and give me some free goblinite.

I've never tried it but I figure it'd be pretty straight forward to fill up a small tank with gas or diesel and drive into a horde.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: April 06, 2017, 12:40:24 am »

Don't gas tanks often explode if damaged too much? I always see small hordes around cars in cities spontaneously combust and give me some free goblinite.

I've never tried it but I figure it'd be pretty straight forward to fill up a small tank with gas or diesel and drive into a horde.

It's been a long while since I played this but yes, gas tanks do explode.
The size of the blast is proportional with how much gas is in there.

Large, full tanks typically mean Game Over. (Or at MINIMUM totaled car) Be very careful with this. (Keep your gas tanks away from ANY edge of the vehicle! The second frontmost row is also a no-no! (Even if you ram things never... You never know if your only choice is a bit of demolition derby or you just run out of replacement supplies...))

Basically, if you're going to use a car as a bomb... Make sure the bomb part is far away from you... (But like I said, I haven't touched Cata in a very long time... This might have changed.)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 451