Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 826192 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #4050 on: November 02, 2016, 04:04:41 pm »

Also with the right equipment it seems like it's easier to fish by actually swimming after the damn things than using a fish trap, remembering not to wait too long before coming back and checking it, only to catch nothing anyway.

A fishing rod may be better, but I don't know.  Last time I tried to use a fishing rod in a river I kept getting told there were no fish, so I was probably doing it wrong.
You have to fish at spots where you can actually spot fish. They're abundant enough though. Just move a screen or two along the river until you find a spot.
Pro fishing rod is amazing, i't'll catch you more fish than you can dehydrate in no time. I've yet to find a better source of fat for tallow and lard than rod fishing.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: November 02, 2016, 04:05:34 pm »

Fishing is... If you use a trap and are close enough to a river that you can swing by to check it once a day it's fine. If you use a pole you CAN get fish, but it takes all damn day and is boring as hell (just like real life). All in all if you can swing it, hunting is still the best meat source from what I've found.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: November 03, 2016, 04:56:28 pm »

You actually can go swimming for fun. Kinda. If you're only wearing clothing that lies close to skin (the sort of thing you'd go swimming in), "wet" changes from a morale hit to a morale boost. It's a pretty powerful boost too, up to 40 points IIRC.
It also depended on the current temperature as well last I checked.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: November 03, 2016, 04:59:27 pm »

Water needs an overhaul.

I thought about trying to stack deep waters on top of one another to simulate some kind of 'depth', buuut that idea was immediately thrown away just glancing at code.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: November 03, 2016, 05:37:51 pm »

Honestly, everything needs and overhaul from what I hear :P

That being an extension of being an open source game sadly. Probably won't happen soon. Which sucks because having flowing water in Cata would be fun. Make your own little irrigation ditches :3

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: November 03, 2016, 05:53:00 pm »

We can probably do 'water' irrigation.  But not with DF-style water.  by hardcoding in an effect to dumping water on the ground or something.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: November 03, 2016, 10:17:07 pm »

It's been a while since I last played, but is time in-game still roughly compressed into one sixth of real-time?

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: November 04, 2016, 06:21:14 am »

Do you mean the season length? Because you could always change that to 90 days if you wanted. The option to also lengthen construction time accordingly is newer. Though I haven't tried that one yet, partly because I fear dying from thirst while building something.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: November 04, 2016, 11:09:07 am »

I rather like 14 days.

21 seems my favorite, but 14 is good and 28 is too long
PKs DF Mod!

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: November 04, 2016, 07:56:28 pm »

Do you mean the season length? Because you could always change that to 90 days if you wanted. The option to also lengthen construction time accordingly is newer. Though I haven't tried that one yet, partly because I fear dying from thirst while building something.
Does changing the season length affect your starvation rate now? I know you have to be abysmally bad/unlucky in a really weird way to somehow starve before you get killed or dehydrate, but I always like to know the little things.

Also, what's up with the item browser lately? Normally I check Github, but the load times have been a bit off.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: November 04, 2016, 08:05:43 pm »

Item browser is obsolete.

Your better off using the github itself and looking at the jsons.
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/tree/master/data/json
^^ heres by far the most useful link to the cleverraven git

I keep 8 or 9 links to commonly used pages, such as furniture, terrain, monsters, itempgroups, and items themselves.

since Im here, today Ive established that I can use overmap terrain ids to make spawns anywhere.  I could stick an evac shelter into a lava rift, for instance, and its a viable spawn location.

And Ive made my first artificial township:

And
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ive made some interesting choices wrt chicken walkers and the (now) mostly unused tribots.
PKs DF Mod!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: November 04, 2016, 09:51:46 pm »

Artificial how?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: November 05, 2016, 12:16:03 am »

Like the place you can find irradiated wanderers, it's a pre-made town, not just randomly cobbled together tiles.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: November 05, 2016, 04:58:53 am »

That

But, a very important distinction:

Mine is defined in json, whereas the IWton is a c++ creation.
    This means iwton can modulate itself better.

-I use generic buildings and roads, whereas IWton uses  predefined static assests.

This means that I didn't make that sewer entrance (that yellow 4way intersection), it was made by napfen because the road I used is generic.
    This means all those houses are randomly picked from the 20 or so varieties of house, and all the subtle generic house chance alterations.

Each one of (this town) will be a different town with the same layout.  And Zed's horde as normal here, with a smaller population
PKs DF Mod!

MauritianStruggle

• Escaped Lunatic
  • An old guard returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: November 05, 2016, 06:48:24 am »

When is 0.D coming out? it's been on 0.C for over a year at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 451