Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 826009 times)

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #3705 on: September 06, 2016, 06:32:58 pm »

Just a popping in to say that Chesthole's Tileset support a tileset for most the critters added by the, my, mod.

Ive got the coregame's version squared away okay, but Ive recently began playing with items and a few critters for the beta, located at my sig.

-Triffid antivenoms, to block and cure poisons.  royal jelly only cures it, doesnt block future attacks.
-Fluid sacs can be cured into pouches that can be worn or crafted into small traps/grenady objects.
-Doomlab, a lab of DooM
-Homemade molotovs for early firestarters.  May or may not do anything.
-Large public cemeteries.
-Blind zombies, agile blind zombies too.
-Actually semi-dangerous wild animals.  A bear tore through my leather vest and leather duster with 1 swipe.  A cougar actually stalked me.
-More dangerous mines.  Faultines and wyrms gonna nom you down, doggys to come.

after playing it, should be considered for the main branch with some modifiers as far as the agile blind zombies and doomlab could be expanded

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: September 07, 2016, 09:36:31 am »

So.... It seems that Cataclysm has been stuck in 0.C for a long time now in comparison to other versions. Is this due to fewer people working on it? 0.D just being many times larger an update than the others?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: September 07, 2016, 09:42:46 am »

So.... It seems that Cataclysm has been stuck in 0.C for a long time now in comparison to other versions. Is this due to fewer people working on it? 0.D just being many times larger an update than the others?

Stuck in what now?

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: September 07, 2016, 10:32:11 am »

O.C is just the official stable release. Experimental is updated every few hours and has probably twice or even thrice the content of stable, and despite the name is plenty stable enough to play. There's more bug fixes, a bunch of included community mods, and generally just more stuff to do. There's absolutely no reason to shy away from it especially when you consider it's like playing the game anew every month or so.

You can find it at http://en.cataclysmdda.com/ on the right bar, under 'Experimental Builds'. Windows console and windows graphical are most likely the ones to use. Console is Ascii, graphical is ohsopretti.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #3709 on: September 07, 2016, 12:17:21 pm »

Really should consider renaming Experimental into Developmental, and Stable into something like Formal Release.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: September 07, 2016, 12:20:25 pm »

Yea I think the biggest things preventing  a stable 0.D being released is a bunch of release blockers that noone wants to work on.  Mostly minor bugs and oddities.  Like the jacks being found in cars being too weak to lift the cars they are found in.  And the development seems to be going quick enough that new release blockers are being created at about the same speed they are getting fixed.  Most recent thing I heard of that you'd easily encounter by accident is that the tutorial is borked entirely.

And yea I agree with a renaming.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: September 07, 2016, 12:31:59 pm »

I suggest something about how stable expis are.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: September 07, 2016, 02:10:15 pm »

Has anyone tried recreating a World War Z-type survival experience? That's pretty much my dream with Cata but I always run into the same problems.

I remove all the extraneous zombies, creatures, etc. until I'm left with some fairly normal zoms and wildlife and NPC's. I try to take balanced, RP-heavy perks.

I find that the sound mechanics for spawning zombies are terrible, leading to broken immersion when a basement I just cleared out is suddenly full again, or a patch of forest I've scoured for days suddenly contains a horde. The other option, static zombies, leads to weird gamey experiences where I've cleared out a certain portion of the city and face no risk at all beyond the occasional NPC.

And then, once I finally do make it pretty far with a vehicle and gear and food and a base, it just becomes immediately boring without any of the usual end-game content - I find that stuff pretty cheesy and ridiculous so I tend to avoid it anyways. Like, boring because nothing is threatening anymore. And unlike DF, my attempts at RP end up just feeling like meaningless tedium for the sake of a story.

I guess I just want more RP focused mechanics, lessening the stat-focused item-sorting elements of the game and refining the survival-sim aspects into something less repetitive/gamey. Maybe I should just STFU and start modding. . .

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: September 07, 2016, 02:43:42 pm »

I don't see why clearing out a part of the city is "gamey". It makes sense that a city with all the zombies erased is safe.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: September 07, 2016, 03:46:44 pm »

Has anyone tried recreating a World War Z-type survival experience? That's pretty much my dream with Cata but I always run into the same problems.

I remove all the extraneous zombies, creatures, etc. until I'm left with some fairly normal zoms and wildlife and NPC's. I try to take balanced, RP-heavy perks.

I find that the sound mechanics for spawning zombies are terrible, leading to broken immersion when a basement I just cleared out is suddenly full again, or a patch of forest I've scoured for days suddenly contains a horde. The other option, static zombies, leads to weird gamey experiences where I've cleared out a certain portion of the city and face no risk at all beyond the occasional NPC.

And then, once I finally do make it pretty far with a vehicle and gear and food and a base, it just becomes immediately boring without any of the usual end-game content - I find that stuff pretty cheesy and ridiculous so I tend to avoid it anyways. Like, boring because nothing is threatening anymore. And unlike DF, my attempts at RP end up just feeling like meaningless tedium for the sake of a story.

I guess I just want more RP focused mechanics, lessening the stat-focused item-sorting elements of the game and refining the survival-sim aspects into something less repetitive/gamey. Maybe I should just STFU and start modding. . .

Work on the NPC side of the code and make factions more of a thing. You know you want to.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: September 07, 2016, 04:21:15 pm »

In related news, has anyone seen monsters and NPC's spawn where it shouldn't be possible? I had boarded myself up in a church basement and gone to sleep, and when I woke up an acid zombie and a shrieker had somehow managed to get inside the basement without breaking it down. I'm quite sure the whole area was clear, and all the entrances were blocked off. In fact they had to bash down the door to the room they were in to get at me.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: September 07, 2016, 04:30:02 pm »

Dunno about basements, but that's always been a problem on dynamic spawn. Horde spawns fixed the paratrooper zombies issue, but I don't think that hordes can go into basements, and I don't believe that they can spawn magic teleporter zombies when you're around.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: September 07, 2016, 04:45:35 pm »

That is a great idea, and I support it. +1 to that. This roguelike has come a very long way, even when Whales was the developer. Finally this game is reaching the dream I think everyone always had for it. :)

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: September 07, 2016, 04:59:50 pm »

The Hell's Raiders may be the most evil, despicable faction of all time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: September 07, 2016, 08:38:59 pm »

I sense a Civ 1 Gandhi in your Cataclysm.
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 451