Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 825980 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #3660 on: August 21, 2016, 01:52:48 pm »

Yeah, Cata simulates things just mundane enough that this thread can be mistaken for a GD thread, and it's hilarious.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: August 22, 2016, 03:34:13 pm »

Got pulled out of my crushmobile by a wrestler zombie, promptly got run over by own car.

That doesn't even make sense
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: August 22, 2016, 03:43:58 pm »

Its how the car mechanics work.

You didnt get 'run over'.  You got 'pummeled' as your car rammed into you at high speeds.
Ive had a few cases where that has happened to npcs, and ofc I get the -600 morale modifier.  >:(

those diagonals tiles are to blame.  And how cdda is a stop-motion game rather than a live action game.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 03:46:03 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: August 22, 2016, 03:48:53 pm »

Maybe seatbelts/5-point harnesses should make you immune to grappler pulls?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

NEANDERTHAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: August 23, 2016, 08:53:20 pm »

I just found a hospital full of boomers a stone's throw away from my evac shelter, with a (somewhat) working car parked in front. So, I ran through the hospital, lured them outside while lighting fires behind me to thin them out, and floored the car into the boomers, coating everything in pink bile and smashing the car into the front of the hospital. I got a big bleeding head wound, and escaped just before the fires from earlier caught up to me. With a |\ . . . bleeding head, I knew I wasn't gonna last long, so I picked some datura seeds from a nearby bush and ate three.

So there I was, sitting in a pool of boomer bile, tripping balls, as I watched the hospital burn through the blood in my eyes, waiting for the datura to finish me off.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: August 23, 2016, 09:48:37 pm »

You know you can cure bleeding just by constantly applying rags to yourself, right? The hospital probably also had some first aid kits so you might have been able to heal yourself back to full if you didn't feel like sleeping.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

NEANDERTHAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: August 23, 2016, 10:01:51 pm »

20/20 hindsight, eh?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: August 23, 2016, 10:09:55 pm »

no, theres no 'anterior eyes' mutation.  maybe eyestalks though

but i would like to see 'noise' mutations.  like eldritch mutations and such.  or the proverbial big toe mi
utations.  both fluff mutations and serious abnormalities.

if i cant play as a chaos spawn than i dont wanna play
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: August 29, 2016, 08:12:33 am »

Is it just me, or are grenades and explosives in general a bit... underwhelming, with their area attack? I mean. I am currently playing a very unlucky girl (elementary student background, low stats to match) that has survived:
- a moose attack, by sprinting fast enough not to get pummeled to death before leading the thing into a minefield. The explosion, one tile behind her, killed the moose, tore up her clothing, and caused some moderate damage.
- a wolfpack attack at night, by leading them into the same minefield, where one of the wolves exploded in a similar fashion to the moose previously, again dealing more clothing damage than actual damage.
- a chicken-walker attack, by pedaling all-out on her bicycle until the thing also stepped on a mine in the same minefield. (that minefield is a gift that keeps on giving) So the mines deal excellent damage to the target in the tile, enough to destroy a rampaging killer robot, but not enough to even seriously injure a little girl three feet away.
- a zombie grenadier. She was helped by a dismounted M249 machinegun (that she barely has enough strength to carry), but she survived two of the grenade-hacks exploding right up in her face as she ran to get up close and kill the thing.

So... if a mine or a grenade can't kill an unarmored little girl by exploding right next to her, what can it kill?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 08:14:53 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: August 29, 2016, 10:49:12 am »

Does Cata model shrapnel? It would make sense for the blast to have longer range and more damage, and for shrapnel to have a smaller possibility to cause damage much farther away.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: August 29, 2016, 10:50:31 am »

Is it just me, or are grenades and explosives in general a bit... underwhelming, with their area attack? I mean. I am currently playing a very unlucky girl (elementary student background, low stats to match) that has survived:
- a moose attack, by sprinting fast enough not to get pummeled to death before leading the thing into a minefield. The explosion, one tile behind her, killed the moose, tore up her clothing, and caused some moderate damage.
- a wolfpack attack at night, by leading them into the same minefield, where one of the wolves exploded in a similar fashion to the moose previously, again dealing more clothing damage than actual damage.
- a chicken-walker attack, by pedaling all-out on her bicycle until the thing also stepped on a mine in the same minefield. (that minefield is a gift that keeps on giving) So the mines deal excellent damage to the target in the tile, enough to destroy a rampaging killer robot, but not enough to even seriously injure a little girl three feet away.
- a zombie grenadier. She was helped by a dismounted M249 machinegun (that she barely has enough strength to carry), but she survived two of the grenade-hacks exploding right up in her face as she ran to get up close and kill the thing.

So... if a mine or a grenade can't kill an unarmored little girl by exploding right next to her, what can it kill?
If i remember right most of the mines *exept bouncin betty type* sends 90% of their force upward due to the fact they are buried and inflict most damage to watever is straight on top * was meant to stop vehicule and instill fear in infantry* anti personal mines send more shrapnel all around than explosive force. Im not an explosive expert but that what i gathered on the subject from various source, some being unnoficial or contextual.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: August 29, 2016, 10:56:41 am »

Yes, explosive power is underwhelming against non (n)pcs.  Theres a reason for that.

(N)PCs have 6 body parts.  Monsters have 1.  Thats why.

When you take explodey damage, you take 20 on your head, 15 on your torso, 5 on your left arm, etc.  This adds up to a lot of pain and a death by 1000 scratches for NPCs.

when a mon takes explosive, it take 20 on its body.  It doesnt feel pain, and it doesnt slow down due to pain, and it isnt smart enough to panic, and its immune to many secondary effects that a survivor would feel.

Additionally, most monsters have increased health in proportion to NPCs because they have but 1 part.  They also simulate the idea that most monsters, including zoms, are naturally tougher than an average humie of 80 health.  so 20 damage is piddledicks to that.

The damage dealt by raw explosions does not include any shockwaves or shrapnel.  So yes, explodies are more or less useless against mons.  Or at least you must recognize their limitations.

Shrapnel does exist.  And its deadly.

'1' shrapnel can break a limb, or half destroy your average unarmored head.  How the game does it is that it uses the power of the explosion as a radius, then draws lines simulating shrapnel out from the epicenter randomly.  Each '1' of shrapnel is 1 line.  If it intersects with something it deals relatively significant damage to that something.

Even a small shrapnel explosion will kill things caught in it.  nail bombs are awesome because of it, and leave nails behind as an added effect.

So yes.  shrapnel weapons will beat explosions weapons all day, unless you face a heavily armored target.  In which case a ground zero explosive charge will do more, since explosions without shrapnel will be larger due to balancing for this.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 10:58:17 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: August 29, 2016, 11:12:11 am »

Had a good run going for awhile, 98 days, crops growing food stores abundant, everything I need and the skills to forge and preserve various things, sadly I had an unfortunate demise after my truck breaks down in a town and I'm mauled to death, I did scum out of it but I decided eh, whats the point if I never left myself die so I killed the character off after that.

Decided to try some naked/no towns survival again, its very much a pain, I eventually found a perfect cave in a perfect location, near a river, forest nearby, anthill nearby but far enough that ants don't spawn, swamp nearby for salt so I can tan hides, but then, fungal infection, got it from flaming eye. I was not happy about this, I didn't expect to survive long anyway but STILL, fungal infection, first day, just feeling a bit of salt flowing within me.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: August 29, 2016, 11:40:07 am »

Yes, explosive power is underwhelming against non (n)pcs.  Theres a reason for that.

(N)PCs have 6 body parts.  Monsters have 1.  Thats why.

When you take explodey damage, you take 20 on your head, 15 on your torso, 5 on your left arm, etc.  This adds up to a lot of pain and a death by 1000 scratches for NPCs.

when a mon takes explosive, it take 20 on its body.  It doesnt feel pain, and it doesnt slow down due to pain, and it isnt smart enough to panic, and its immune to many secondary effects that a survivor would feel.

Additionally, most monsters have increased health in proportion to NPCs because they have but 1 part.  They also simulate the idea that most monsters, including zoms, are naturally tougher than an average humie of 80 health.  so 20 damage is piddledicks to that.

The damage dealt by raw explosions does not include any shockwaves or shrapnel.  So yes, explodies are more or less useless against mons.  Or at least you must recognize their limitations.
I have a different problem. The explosive weapons (mines, grenade-hacks) that explode right up in my (or rather, the elementary schoolgirl's) face, fail to inflict appreciable damage. The girl was wearing basic clothing, ate two grenades with her face point blank, and was right as rain after a small bundle of bandages and a sleepover in a bush. I get the feeling that basic explosive devices should be dealing more damage, or actually cause concussive damage like internal bleeding and other kinds of organ damage. I'm just saying that it's kind of silly for a schoolgirl to survive a military evil homing handgrenade, let alone two. These sort of things should be more dangerous.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: August 29, 2016, 11:45:11 am »

if they are nerfed its because people kept complaining about not being able to walk around at night into a minefield without a flashlight and expect to not blow up.

Any mod should be able to rebuff them  to proper levels.  I dont make traps, and I dont walk into ranodm minefields because theyve only been in the game since just about always.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 451