Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 824821 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #2835 on: February 01, 2016, 11:20:53 pm »

Thing is, it shouldn't be *that* hard to deal with regular clothing. I'm all in favor of needing lots of practice to do fancy reinforcements and make survivor gear, but basic intact shirts and jackets should be pretty straightforward for someone of reasonable skill (4 or 5) to not just outright destroy. It felt perfectly fine before.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: February 01, 2016, 11:52:04 pm »

I'd say that repair times used to be too fast, particularly at lower skill levels, but otherwise would more or less agree. Still, the game provides in-game tools that at least help mitigate the current issues.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: February 03, 2016, 11:49:29 am »

If speed and resource use is the issue, wouldn't it be better to just increase the base time and material use of each action, but make it easier to perform the action successfully? It seems like luck of the dice is sort of screwing everything up.
Nothing important here, move along.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: February 03, 2016, 04:27:45 pm »

Once you get to level 4 or 5 you shouldnt be expecting anything but like power armor to give you issues.  I just destroyed a fitted RM13 armor.

But I dont have many issues with the basics.  Even at level 2 I was still capable of repairing my stuff, and by level 3 I was fortifying it.

And it doesnt that that long to do.  The last time I played as a not 'slow learner' was back in the stables.

Granted its more tedious now thiugh
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: February 03, 2016, 05:20:04 pm »

I think really what we need is just to make it so that your chance of damaging something scales downwards with tailoring skill as well as it raising your chance of success instead of damage chance depending solely on your current dexterity. That would probably go a long ways towards fixing the main complaint, which is that you can still destroy things with a series of unlucky rolls regardless of your tailoring skill.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: February 03, 2016, 07:01:21 pm »

Would something like DnDs take 20 be viable? Meaning it would take lots of time and ressources, 10-20x the normal amount, but then guarantee a success if the task is in your range. Wouldn't be anything to repair your trousers on the fly, but could be done in a safe place.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: February 03, 2016, 07:44:33 pm »

I still don't get how you could damage clothes trying to repair them at all. At worst I can imagine you just waste a bunch of fabric/thread by doing something that doesn't actually hold together.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: February 03, 2016, 07:54:39 pm »

With thinner fabrics (say, with clothing that has been well-worn and washed alot) stitching tears back together can cause rips in other places.

That said, the new rates of that sorta thing happening are rather ludicrous.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: February 03, 2016, 09:15:24 pm »

I'm not a fan of these strictly RNG approaches. Basically results in a machine-like system to be gamed rather than an interesting game to be played.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: February 04, 2016, 01:50:29 am »

I'm personally in favor of removing a bit of the... well random-gameplay aspect from the game in regards to some of these things.  I'd be much for the, repairing pants takes an hour to two or something like that but is guaranteed success once you reach saw sewing 3 as opposed to the 'roll a dice and hey you might do it in 10 minutes, or you might destroy your pants yaaaay....'
Nom nom nom

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: February 04, 2016, 02:33:29 am »

I'm fine with longer times to repair/craft so long as practicing doesn't take an hour or more per practice session...
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: February 04, 2016, 11:49:43 am »

Mi-gos (Not sure if they're a spoiler at this point - they're everywhere) are kind of dicks.

The last two times I got progress with a character, they've killed me while I was exploring. The fact they hang around army/science/gangster corpses means that you could walk into their vision range very easily. Don't get me wrong, they're a cool enemy, they just need to be moved away from the surface or have their aggro chance reduced massively.

They're boss enemies wandering around what's meant to be the starting area.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: February 04, 2016, 11:54:31 am »

There is no such thing as a starting area. And, unless it changed, usually you can see a Mi-go before it aggros

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: February 04, 2016, 12:02:26 pm »

You can be best buds with mi-gos if you get the Insect Pheromones mutation. When they mimic speech, they often give more moment-appropriate dialogue than some NPCs do, in my opinion.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: February 04, 2016, 12:28:09 pm »

There is no such thing as a starting area. And, unless it changed, usually you can see a Mi-go before it aggros
The last time I got killed, the mi-go basically rushed me around a corner. Mi-gos are not suited as a guard role - they're way too aggressive. A better choice would be something that sticks to an area and kills anything in that area, and loses interest in anything outside of it. Make it chase players if they try plinking it outside it's spot.

You can be best buds with mi-gos if you get the Insect Pheromones mutation. When they mimic speech, they often give more moment-appropriate dialogue than some NPCs do, in my opinion.
Don't get me wrong, I love mi-gos. They're really atmospheric enemies, they're just too high-powered to have them one-shot PCs just four days in. They are better suited as lab enemies.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 12:31:06 pm by Fniff »
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 451