Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 824868 times)

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #2790 on: January 26, 2016, 05:00:52 pm »

Seriously, 8 tailoring skill, a proper tailoring kit and everything, and my character, who is a professional tailor damages a hoodie more often then they repair it over and over and destroy it. Great. Now I'm stuck in a car with no wheels in the middle of nowhere in a snowstorm with a moose sitting outside glaring at me with those hateful eyes and nothing but a polo shirt and the car heater keeping me warm.

At this point it would literally be faster and more resource efficient to just make a new goddamn hoodie then try to repair one. Which I would if I had the rags.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: January 26, 2016, 05:20:50 pm »

I bet it was the light levels. My character had lvl 4 Tailoring skill and repaired a nearly-destroyed trench-coat with only two or three rags.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: January 26, 2016, 06:10:39 pm »

But it doesn't let you repair at all if there isn't enough light. Besides, it was the middle of the day. It may have been a snowstorm but it was still more than bright enough for crafting. The system is just janky and chance based instead of skill based.

I'm tempted to cheat and see how often a 24 skill tailor damages clothing trying to repair it.

The only other thing I can think of is if it is based on stats.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: January 26, 2016, 06:43:00 pm »

Here's the current equations:
repair % chance = 5 + tailoring level - difficulty
damage % chance = 5 - ((current DEX - tool quality) / 5)

So in general raising your tailoring level gives you an additional 1% increase in your base 5% repair chance, while each point of dexterity reduces your base 5% damage chance. That said there is a bug here, that should be "+ tool quality", not minus. As is your fancy tailoring kit actually increases your chance of damaging an item by 1%, rather than decreasing it. I'm getting a PR up to fix that as we speak. (BTW a lvl 24 tailor with 8 DEX will repair an item 26% of the time, damage it 3.4% of the time, and do nothing for the rest of the attempts).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: January 26, 2016, 07:19:47 pm »

That seems pretty low, but I don't know how the game balances it out. Are there things with negative difficulty levels to repair, or is 0 the lowest it can get? Which of the two events (repair or damage) takes priority if both are rolled, or is one rolled before the other?
Nothing important here, move along.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: January 26, 2016, 07:31:49 pm »

A) The chances are low to make it take more time/resources to actually do tailoring. The "nothing happens" result is intended to take the lions share of rolls.
B) Pretty sure 0 is the lowest it goes. Autolearn recipes might technically have a difficulty of -1 in some cases, but I haven't looked at the recipes list any time recently so I'm not sure.
C) They are actually rolled somewhat simultaneously as a single roll, though in the crazy broken case where you had say like 0 dex and 200 tailoring skill and they overlap then the damage roll takes precedence. Exact steps go like this:

1) Game calculates damage_chance and repair_chance (as decimal percentages, i.e. 26% = .26)
2) Game rolls a number from 0 to 1
3) If the number is in the top damage_chance percent (i.e. if damage_chance is .2, and you roll a number > .8) then it damage the item
4) Else if the number is in the bottom repair_chance percent (i.e. < repair_chance) than it repairs the item
5) Else nothing happens
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: January 28, 2016, 04:49:13 pm »

So... are day one hulks supposed to be impossible.. or just unlikely. Because my poor tailor just tried to take one on day one with a heavy .303 machinegun they ripped off a light tank. It seemed like a good idea at the time. but then like 75 out of 80 shots missed at point blank range while fully aimed and.. uh... yeah. At least I don't have to worry about getting them a new hoodie now...

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: January 28, 2016, 04:51:27 pm »

So, Both my legs are at : health and don't seem to be healing. Do I need any special items to fix em?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: January 28, 2016, 05:00:16 pm »

Splints. Get two splints, wear them on your legs. Hang around in a safehouse until they're healed if you must.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: January 28, 2016, 05:02:38 pm »

Hmm, Can you make splints?

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: January 28, 2016, 05:18:27 pm »

Hit &. Hit F. Type in splint. Hit enter. If you see splint, than yes. If you can't see splint then no. Go get a point of survival or first aid or something. Repeat.

Pretty sure anyone can make a splint though.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: January 28, 2016, 05:19:50 pm »

Thanks for the help you two!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: January 28, 2016, 11:04:46 pm »

Ok, who added the pokeball to the game?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: January 28, 2016, 11:45:04 pm »

Ok, who added the pokeball to the game?

Fungal Magikarp
Use Splash Attack
It's Super Effective

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: January 29, 2016, 04:28:42 am »

So... are day one hulks supposed to be impossible.. or just unlikely. Because my poor tailor just tried to take one on day one with a heavy .303 machinegun they ripped off a light tank. It seemed like a good idea at the time. but then like 75 out of 80 shots missed at point blank range while fully aimed and.. uh... yeah. At least I don't have to worry about getting them a new hoodie now...

Hulks are meant to be pretty much always impossible. They can punch you so hard you fly through walls and have heaps and heaps of health. They also move faster than regular zombies.

Also, machine guns kinda suck unless they're mounted on something. You can just make a light frame and slap it on that and it'll be significantly less crap, but it won't be anywhere near as good as a high skilled survivor using a rifle of some kind or point blank shots with a shotgun or high powered pistol like a revolver.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 451