Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 825129 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #2640 on: December 03, 2015, 01:35:31 pm »

Obviously you're supposed to grab it, yank, and throw it into the air, catching in a super duper cool way as it comes down. Back scabbards are awesome that way.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: December 03, 2015, 02:48:32 pm »

Obviously you're supposed to grab it, yank, and throw it into the air, catching in a super duper cool way as it comes down. Back scabbards are awesome that way.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And you put it back into the scabbard the other way round: throw it into the air and catch it with the scabbard.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: December 03, 2015, 03:00:00 pm »

You're telling me that with access to modern materials and knowledge, we couldn't fashion a scabbard that you could unsheathe a sword from the back with?

That seems preposterous. We can go to the moon, but we can't design a functional back scabbard. Just have it open along one side with a clasp.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: December 03, 2015, 03:05:57 pm »

A length of rope might not be "fast", but it works :|
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: December 03, 2015, 03:16:13 pm »

Magnetic scabbard could be a thing maybe?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: December 03, 2015, 07:06:58 pm »

You're telling me that with access to modern materials and knowledge, we couldn't fashion a scabbard that you could unsheathe a sword from the back with?

That seems preposterous. We can go to the moon, but we can't design a functional back scabbard. Just have it open along one side with a clasp.

With access to modern materials and knowledge why would you want a back scabbard?

Magnetic scabbard can work but is unlikely to be easy if it has to be strong enough to keep sword in place yet still allow user to get sword out, electromagnet could work to switch it on/off but then that's a lot of effort for a scabbard, also probably not save for other metallic things you have around.

Could have a scabbard with a slice cut out in the side half-way so it can be drawn upwards a short distance and then swing out sideways.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: December 03, 2015, 08:26:59 pm »

So recently I've been having some trouble getting certain versions of the experimentals to run, and I think I may have potentially found out what my issue is. Every time I'd try to run the game, the windows "waiting" cursor would pop up, but nothing ever happened, even after ten minutes. If I tried to run the exe again, the folder would freeze up. So after a few restarts and other things to get it to work I opened up the task manager to see if the executable was running at all or stuck or something, and I noticed Avast Antivirus was consuming a lot of CPU, far more than normal. So I restarted the computer and told Avast to stop its protection for ten minutes, ran the executable, and boom, it worked fine.

Not sure if Avast is having a problem, or some of the latest Experimentals just having something about them that causes Avast to wig out, but if you have a similar problem and use Avast, try disabling when you run the exe.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 08:59:04 pm by Kaitol »

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: December 05, 2015, 07:58:07 am »

Back scabbards weren't ever used historically, no such thing as a baldric or a setup where you 'transport' a sword or a rifle, or a long, thin pole shaped weapon in general on your back existed.

If you've ever worn a messenger bag in real life, you'll know how awkward it is to wear a thing across your body like that, let alone a sword. For the very same reason, people just... slung their weapons over their shoulder, or just carried it resting on their arm. Better yet, people threw there weapons in a cart and let other people carry it for them for the most part, at least before military drill became a thing.

It's definitely a cinematic thing. It does 'look cool' if you are into those kind of things, and no one stops you from doing it if the purpose is to look cool. But it's certainly not historical. If there's a single historical document where people actively chose to carry their weapons slung across their back like most fantasy characters do, show me. I have yet to see a single source in my life.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 08:01:02 am by DoomOnion »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: December 05, 2015, 12:06:02 pm »

I wouldn't say it's awkward to have something over your shoulder. I mean, messenger bags and backpacks exist because your shoulders are really, really good at holding heavy weights and large objects that would be awkward to carry over your hand.

The main reason most weapons are kept on or near the belt, occasionally on the chest, is that reaching over your shoulder to try and grab something is inherently difficult, and disrobing a sword from its sheath would be an immense pain on top of that. You'd likely take so long to get your weapon out that whatever you were trying to kill would either have already left or killed you.

That said, the Japanese, IIRC, and possibly some other peoples, made special sheaths that were designed to only be used once. When you needed your weapon, you'd simply slice through the weak sides of the sheath and have your weapon ready in no time. It would certainly make drawing a blade on your back easier, but it wouldn't really reduce the awkwardness of trying to reach over your shoulder.
Nothing important here, move along.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: December 06, 2015, 01:30:11 am »

Please, no maybes and probablys and iircs. Mythical easterlands of amazing ninjutsu samurai warriors, however romanticized, does not work as a basis for you to say 'maybe probly it existed'.

Swords don't work that way you propose. Cuttable sheaths? Did you actually just say that or am I going nutters again? I feel sorry for you that this will be offensive to you, but that was by large the stupidest thing I've heard this year. Nothing in that notion made sense.

A) scabbards are not only for transporting your sword, but also for protecting it. To have the sword cut through it completely defeats the purpose.
B) No samurais actually carried their swords in the back, even in situations where they carried multiple swords, they just slung all of them on their side.
C) Swords are not light sabers. If you've handled one, you'd know this. You can't just easily cut through a material with one swing without drawing or hacking the blade in some way. Even if that said disposable vinyl scabbard existed, you'd still have to DRAW the sword from the said scabbard to apply its cutting power to the material designed to be cut. Then again, if you can draw from your back, why use a disposable scabbard?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: December 06, 2015, 02:34:28 am »

Tone it down a little bruh. Getting a little flamey there.

ANYWAY. I have, for the longest time, been wanting to make a "hearth" tile that lets fire spread to other hearth tiles. And also channel tiles that do the same with water.

But I am terrible about coding. I don't even know where to look or even if it's simply some JSON manipulation.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: December 06, 2015, 11:29:27 am »

So, I have a question, though I have a sinking suspicion I might already know the answer.
Can mutations taken at character generation when you start as a mutant be cured by purifiers? (Playing 0.C stable here).
I've been playing an Unwilling Mutant character with some troublesome mutations (toe talons...) and roleplaying his quest to find the lab he was held in and find a way to get back to normal. After much adventuring, finally managed to locate a purifier serum and inject it, but all I got was "You feel cleansed"...

I'm going to feel pretty bad if it's actually impossible.

If they are purifier-immune, is it possible that they could be cancelled out by conflicting mutations? The "going to get worse before it gets better" plan...:P Tried a mutagen serum on him and it altered his Growling Voice to Snarling Voice, but I have no idea if it's removable now since those two serums were my whole supply. Hard to explore this lab when it makes his feets freeze in minutes. ): (Going to be even harder now that he's got tentacles for legs too...)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: December 06, 2015, 11:59:22 am »

I think chargen mutations are curable, traits are not.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: December 06, 2015, 02:04:00 pm »

Likewise uncertain if chargen mutations are curable. However, they (along with other traits) absolutely can be overridden by conflicting mutations, and can even then be purified, if you so desire.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: December 06, 2015, 07:00:13 pm »

-snip-

I realize this is something you're passionate about, but there's no call to say I'm stupid. Keep in mind I did point out that drawing from the back was pretty nonviable even with the specialized sheath, so it's not like I was completely countering your argument.

A search does reveal I was probably wrong, given that a (albeit limited) Google search doesn't reveal anything about such a thing as cuttable sheaths existing. I still remember the concept quite clearly, though, and I still think it's not entirely nonviable.

The cut-open scabbard itself wasn't the weapon's actual scabbard: the cut-open scabbards were usually hand-made out of available materials on-site and were basically only used for iaido duels (where the samurai would draw their blade directly into a slash) and were usually little more than two pieces of bamboo or wood wrapped with something weak, like thin twine or paper. Since the person who's able to transition from a draw into a swing faster has an advantage in speed, and speed is basically the difference between life and death in these duels, the extra split second where the samurai could cut through the scabbard instead of drawing his sword all the way out was, probably, a big deal.

As to whether it worked (or even existed), I'm not sure. But I'd say it's not entirely unbelievable, just very limited in use.
Nothing important here, move along.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 451