Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 825158 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #2595 on: November 17, 2015, 03:44:23 am »

A lot of the devs follow this thread too AFAIK. Obviously the forums (presumably it has a Suggestions board) is better but it's not like stuff here is never going to be seen.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: November 17, 2015, 04:16:31 am »

The long-term game I'd love to see would be starting a settlement of my own and finding/rescuing/recruiting/kidnapping NPCs to join it. Then giving them task like "build XYZ" or "farm" or the like while I go read Playboy or raid cannabis farms or poke giant ants with a stick. This would be viable even for road warrior -type players who could form several supply bases around the world to cruise between. (Only find them eaten by mi-go, of course.)

Alternative, of course, would be joining existing settlements. I've heard there is some sort of NPC settlement already in the game with static NPCs, but I still haven't found it a single time.

Hint: use the working computer in a shelter.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: November 17, 2015, 05:41:28 am »

I honestly can't be bothered to create a profile on yet another website, plus I'm pretty sure the whole settlement idea is not very unique.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: November 17, 2015, 08:00:43 am »

Feh, your loss.
thincake

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: November 17, 2015, 10:20:06 am »

A lot of the devs follow this thread too AFAIK. Obviously the forums (presumably it has a Suggestions board) is better but it's not like stuff here is never going to be seen.
Indeed, looking back you can see a handful of posts from Kevingranade (azmodean here), Rivet posted just 2 posts before the suggestion, and I'm the thread OP (though sadly college has been busy enough to keep me away from C:DDA for the last month or so and probably most of these next 4 weeks as well :'().
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: November 17, 2015, 10:22:04 am »

whoa I didn't see Rivet there damn
thincake

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: November 17, 2015, 11:05:06 am »

I sometimes take suggestions here and move them to the proper area of the forums...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: November 18, 2015, 01:40:32 am »

I keep an eye on this thread, though I mostly post when I have something meaningful to say.
Partially because it's legit that people don't want to make new accounts all over the place, and partially because I already had an account here :)
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Showbiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: November 18, 2015, 06:46:07 am »

Is there a mod to locate specific bodyparts ala DF-Adventure Mode? I'm a big fan of the combat system.
Pardon for my mistakes
english isn't my native language

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: November 18, 2015, 08:50:13 am »

Nope.
thincake

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: November 18, 2015, 03:05:21 pm »

My current character has had a really crappy time of it.

Spawning in a kitchen with his bunkie, a greasefire took the house down.  He just only got out of the way of falling rubble and sprawled into the cold spring night.
  Running to the house acroos the street he is chased by zoms who spotted the fire, and him, as he escaped into the basement.  the basement was wothless, full of hemp and sewer rats.  Without a flashlight even he runs off into the night, hearing zoms and rats clashing over the right to his flesh.
  As he is running he realizes its snowing and he is freezing to death.  Cold penalties start out negligable but get up to and beyond 75% speed loss, so he begins darting to and froo, making all the racket in the world until he finds a touring suit.  In another house he finds an empty basement, which is full of chairs and booze and little else.  It is here he spends the day, burning wood in the bathroom and crafting whatever.
  Sleeping for 2-3 hours before sunset, He goes topside and finds he can craft a wooden needle.  He does so, spending time reinforcing his 2 messanger bags before taking off.  He loots a grocery store and liquor store, only to find the sun coming up while in the lquor store.  crafting a torch, he hides in their brakeroom and makes a wooden spear and cudgel, and a makeshift crowbar.  He runs 2 city blocks in full daylight until he finds a motorbike and abandons his gains.  The bike is only capable of safely going 28kmh du to a failing engine, and a random manhack actually keeps up with him.
  Harried for a bit, and down to 1.5 bars of health on most bodyparts, he finds a flatbed with a yellow battery and alternator.  Better than a breaking engine, frankly, and he transfers his gear over and escapes the city.
  In the country, along a road leading out of town from a loose cluster of office buildings, our hero find a car with no major damage.  While hsifting goods again he find a pack of 5 shirekers chasing after a squirrel coming his way.  A fire and several shrieks later a worm tries to finish him off.  Luckily our hero has bullwhip on him; a weapon that is more for stunning than killing.  A horde of zombies comes into his view; looking for the shriekers; and with a sigh he packs his goods up.  He has a single bottle of whiskey with him and several MREs, and enough gear to weld, but no experience with mechanics.  The sun sets for his econd night and he must choose between a raid he desperately need and health he desperately needs.  He might have enough booze for 1 more night, but . . .

It was one thing after another with this guy. :D
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: November 18, 2015, 05:40:17 pm »

I think Mines need to be retouched a tad. They are incredibly easy, as there are only two threats in them until the finale. And of those, only one is a danger as soon as you see it.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: November 18, 2015, 06:11:37 pm »

Speaking of factions and NPC's, I dug through the code and found the bits in charge of how the NPC's react to you and the part in charge of making them fight hostile mobs. My coding is horrible, but I think I can at the very least manage to make them fight hostile NPC's. Ideally I'd use the same system used for their reaction to you for their reaction to hostile NPC's. NPC's have bravery, aggressiveness, and altruism hidden stats and various things about the player can scare/annoy them or make them see you as a bigger threat. I want to make it so your cowardly and selfish friend with a crowbar will not want to attack the angry buff guy with an automatic rifle trying to mug you.

Edit:
"You are deaf and can't talk. When you don't respond, Isaac Danielson becomes angry!" Apparently my earplugs pushed this guy to come at me with an axe. I think their aggressiveness needs a bit more granularity.

"You deliver a knee strike to Isaac Danielson for 73 damage. Critical!"
Isaac Danielson dies!"

I now have this mental image of my character minding its own business fighting slimes, not knowing that behind him is a guy screaming to drop the machete. Guy comes at him with an axe, character turns around, surprised and reflexively knee-strikes the guy in the head. oops!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 08:23:28 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: November 18, 2015, 08:38:35 pm »

...How about them also not running off with a murderboner against squirrels and jumping spiders? I'd imagine they'd leave shit like that alone for the most part.

But in the case of "following" animals like dogs and cougars and even moose sometimes, I could imagine a few of them flying off the handle at a tailing animal.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2609 on: November 18, 2015, 11:02:55 pm »

Half the time I fly off the handle at tailing animals. If my followers did it for me I'd be happy.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 451