Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 825729 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #2220 on: September 18, 2015, 05:44:41 pm »

Another problem with caseless rounds is that the propellant comes into direct contact with the weapon, causing overheating when it fires, particularly for automatic weapons.
Yep, but this is the game with super alloy, and thats what the guns are made of (along with ceramic, which may actually be what the breach is made of...)

We don't really know the heat conductivity or dissipation of superalloy, and I'd doubt ceramic can handle the force of automatic fire.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: September 18, 2015, 06:13:02 pm »

Considering the crazy stuff they've done with ceramics already (there was one I remember reading about in some obscure scientific journal I can't remember the name of that was basically rubber stone, though obscure scientific journals may not necessarily have the integrity of their more well-published peers...) I wouldn't be surprised if they had some kind of 'ceramic' that's basically nonconductive steel.
Nothing important here, move along.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: September 18, 2015, 07:49:47 pm »

Why do H&K 12mm have a powder component? Aren't they just cobalt spikes that you insert into the rail gun?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: September 18, 2015, 09:18:19 pm »

Should be.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: September 19, 2015, 12:21:00 am »

Considering the crazy stuff they've done with ceramics already (there was one I remember reading about in some obscure scientific journal I can't remember the name of that was basically rubber stone, though obscure scientific journals may not necessarily have the integrity of their more well-published peers...) I wouldn't be surprised if they had some kind of 'ceramic' that's basically nonconductive steel.
Yeah, ceramics are one of the big areas of development right now in the material science world (along with all the crazy carbon-based stuff), so there's plenty of crazy new ceramic materials showing up even now.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: September 19, 2015, 02:09:40 am »

My whole point has been that actual caseless ammo doesn't use wads or shotcups.
I don't understand your objection, a sabot or shotcup isn't part of the case, it's part of the projectile.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: September 19, 2015, 04:55:25 am »

how much effort has been put in on the coding side to make a cermanics arm of objects, weapons and other useful stuff

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: September 19, 2015, 05:37:48 am »

My whole point has been that actual caseless ammo doesn't use wads or shotcups.
Suppose it's more of a technical issue than anything. Considering the thread, I see nothing unusual about that. ;)

The important part of caseless is that the whole round is either vaporized or leaves the barrel. That means you don't need to eject the spent round, allowing for a simpler mechanism and faster rates of fire, if we can find materials that can stand the heat without the casing removing most of it.

Adding a wad doesn't change that.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: September 19, 2015, 01:45:35 pm »

One problem with caseless ammunition, unless you have high temperature resistant solid propelant you risk having your ammunition firing up without using the trigger. Most of projectile with casing also act as a way to dissipate some of the firing heat or receive heat of the barrel should it be too high and is ejected after.

Having semi auto weapon with caseless is in the realm of possibilty as the heat will radiate away before a new round is inserted or it will slowly build up but will most likely never reach critical temperature in the firing session while full auto risk raising the barrel and ammunition chamber up to critical temperature much faster and most likely before the firing session is over.

A 306 sniper rifle with caseless is much more likely to never reach critical temperature as you wont fire often while using the M249 with caseless (Name are only to reflect the type of weaponry and does not represent reality ) risk going over the critical temperature as the M249 is a support weapon mostly used in suppressive fire more than treat elemination.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: September 19, 2015, 02:07:45 pm »

So is there a reliable place to get limestone and sulfur and crap like that? I found a small stack of limestone in a mine but it's not enough to do anything with, let alone lots of concrete construction.

I'm hoping you can make a pickaxe and just mine for stuff? Maybe?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: September 19, 2015, 02:40:45 pm »

Sulfur - I get a bunch from labs, limestone I think you can get when you dig, also I've seen limestone and I *think* sulfur in some hardware stores...

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: September 19, 2015, 02:56:40 pm »

One problem with caseless ammunition, unless you have high temperature resistant solid propelant you risk having your ammunition firing up without using the trigger. Most of projectile with casing also act as a way to dissipate some of the firing heat or receive heat of the barrel should it be too high and is ejected after.
The company http://www.defendtex.com/ in Australia has a technically caseless line of weapon systems, though it's not the traditional concept with discrete caseless rounds, instead they're stacked in the barrel.  They have patents on heat management, blowback prevention, and inductive electrical primer technologies, so they're probably keeping anyone else from working on traditional caseless ammo by holding those patents.

how much effort has been put in on the coding side to make a cermanics arm of objects, weapons and other useful stuff
Almost none, there is some pottery, but that's about it.  Ceramic weapons are rather specialized, what would the benefit be in the cataclysm?
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: September 19, 2015, 05:19:55 pm »

The benefit in the cataclysm would be the same as the benefit in real life: lightweight tools and weapons with properties that metals and plastics don't have (or don't have to a good enough degree).

Ceramic blades can hold the edge of hard steel without the weight or risk of corrosion. Ceramic firearms could resist wear and heat better than plastic and steel while still retaining a light weight.

Plus, ceramics can use more abundant materials than some important steel additives, which means that if the technology gets common enough, it might even be slightly cheaper than steel-based objects.

This is, of course, assuming that there's been a decent amount of ceramics research in this alternate reality.
Nothing important here, move along.

Rivet-the-Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • C:DDA Developer
    • View Profile
    • Official C:DDA Website
« Reply #2233 on: September 19, 2015, 05:21:44 pm »

Ceramic blades can hold the edge of hard steel without the weight or risk of corrosion.

We've already got this much - check out the RM42 knife.
“No! I must kill the demons” she shouted
The radio said “No, Rivet. You are the demons”
And then Rivet was a zombie.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: September 19, 2015, 05:22:25 pm »

And if the question was about crafting, any high-tech ceramics are going to be beyond the capabilities of a survivor.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 451