Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 825805 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #2175 on: September 13, 2015, 12:15:07 pm »

I've never seen anyone do a comprehensive how to. They all start a character and just go from there mostly because any planning is going to be disrupted by the game. The only comprehensive how to would be completely cheaty and have to lean heavily on the debug menu, or be 50 hours of gameplay hoping to find the things you want to show off.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: September 13, 2015, 12:36:10 pm »

Hmm. Maybe skill books should just give you virtual levels in the skill and access to all of their recipes? You'd have to carry the books around everywhere, which would be annoying, and while relying on the books for your skills you'd have a significantly reduced chance of crafting success and crafting speed. But you wouldn't end up spending days mashing 'r', you'd just carry books everywhere and practice the skill.
I'm pretty sure they already do this to some extent (I know you certainly can do recipes "from the book" right now). This is basically a modified version of what we are eventually striving for with the recipe system.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: September 13, 2015, 10:40:38 pm »

I want to get into this game, but I'm having trouble deciding between static and dynamic spawns. I want to play a stealthy character, possibly with some night vision, that tries to silently sneak at night to raid a city. But I also don't like zombies teleporting out of nowhere, especially in buildings I have already checked or cleared earlier. So my question is, is it at all possible to play a stealthy character with static spawning, or does the sheer amount of zombies in static spawning make it unrealistic?

Also, I've read that the experimental builds improve night vision and wandering hordes, both features I'm interested in. Is it worth switching to that, or should I stick to the stable release?
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: September 13, 2015, 11:00:50 pm »

It's been reiterated here a few times, but it is always worth moving to the experimentals. More stable than stable! Except for the few rare times, like trying to disassemble a window in windows.

But! Those sorts of bugs are often fixed by the next day, if not the next release. Experimentals are always worth playing if you like the new features.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: September 13, 2015, 11:01:49 pm »

As for being stealthy with static spawn, its perfectly possible and more fun than with dynamic spawn (atleast I think so).
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: September 13, 2015, 11:14:18 pm »

Thank you both. I'm especially glad to hear that stealth with static spawn is doable, as even after playing for barely a couple hours I can not stand dynamic spawn's immersion breaking.
<@Akroma> eh

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: September 13, 2015, 11:34:11 pm »

Wandering hordes aren't particularly fun either. Robs you of the feeling of progress and by the time you're established enough to do much more than just run from them they're just an annoyance.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: September 14, 2015, 12:24:19 am »

I was hoping the hordes would not be too common, just enough to keep me on my toes even after an area was "cleared". But I guess I'll have to see for myself if they're too much.
<@Akroma> eh

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: September 14, 2015, 12:51:36 am »

I always play with Static, and yes, stealth is very doable.
You will throw many, many rocks. I don't even have night vision and I can stealth like nobody's business.
thincake

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: September 14, 2015, 03:05:11 pm »

Well. Melee seems blatantly impossible now. Get grappled -> give zombies 7 or 8 free turns per one of mine -> die. Good job?

Seriously, I have average strength and have never once broken a grapple from regular shamblers. Which is cool, since even regular houses are now guarded by shocker brutes, so basic supplies are also no-go. And it rained every single day of spring, dawn til dusk.

Five games in a row.

Is something fucked up in the current experimentals or...?

Also basic survivors start with socks but no shoes, as of a few days ago.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: September 14, 2015, 04:00:51 pm »

Well. Melee seems blatantly impossible now. Get grappled -> give zombies 7 or 8 free turns per one of mine -> die. Good job?

Seriously, I have average strength and have never once broken a grapple from regular shamblers. Which is cool, since even regular houses are now guarded by shocker brutes, so basic supplies are also no-go. And it rained every single day of spring, dawn til dusk.

Five games in a row.

Is something fucked up in the current experimentals or...?

Also basic survivors start with socks but no shoes, as of a few days ago.

You need dodge skill to survive melee.  But Shocker Brutes still suck, which is why I prefer melee + backup gun.  I'm pretty sure it's recommended in most guides.

What I like to do in static mode is play all my characters in the same world.  So one character can spawn with a rifle and be all like Rambo, then later characters can enjoy a more peaceful world.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: September 14, 2015, 04:02:58 pm »

It's pretty brutal now.  I've survived a few of those grabbing parties, even with a decently powerful mid-level char with heavy survivor armor, only because a brute or hulk threw me clear.

Day 1 I keep trying to remember that I can run, and outrun MOST of those things, but it's still hard - sometimes the only escape route takes you near a grabber and if he's got friends nearby, adios.  And even "escaping" into the woods is not being home free, animals don't stagger.    And skeleton dogs are like bony terminators, they're fast,  hard to hit and don't stagger either.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: September 14, 2015, 07:26:09 pm »

Looks like I'm re-downloading and cheesing the hell out of the game for a min-maxed archer, then. I hate archery. This won't end well.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: September 15, 2015, 01:50:03 am »

I'm just gonna stick to stables.
thincake

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: September 15, 2015, 06:39:42 pm »

I want to get into this game, but I'm having trouble deciding between static and dynamic spawns.

¿Por qué no los dos?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 451