Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 825617 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #1290 on: May 27, 2015, 03:10:25 pm »

Logs are too big to burn through on their own. It's generally a better idea to chop them up into some kind of 'firewood' like planks or heavy sticks, which will actually properly catch fire and provide a decent amount of fuel.

This is true, to an extent, in real life as well. At least in the case of most hardwood, it takes an incredible amount of temperature for a log to properly catch fire, and a great deal of time for it to burn through. This is why splitting wood is a thing: it increases the surface area and makes the wood actually burn longer and more thoroughly without requiring a bunch of extra fuel to provide the needed high temperatures and longevity.
Nothing important here, move along.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: May 27, 2015, 03:17:13 pm »

Logs are too big to burn through on their own. It's generally a better idea to chop them up into some kind of 'firewood' like planks or heavy sticks, which will actually properly catch fire and provide a decent amount of fuel.

This is true, to an extent, in real life as well. At least in the case of most hardwood, it takes an incredible amount of temperature for a log to properly catch fire, and a great deal of time for it to burn through. This is why splitting wood is a thing: it increases the surface area and makes the wood actually burn longer and more thoroughly without requiring a bunch of extra fuel to provide the needed high temperatures and longevity.
That makes sense... except one part is both correct and incorrect: the bigger the log the longer it burns in an established fire. The less surface area results in a lower temperature but longer burn. That said you are correct that just lighting a long on fire doesn't last long or do much, but in a proper environment, such as a wood stove, once you get the heat up and a fire going inserting large logs will result in a slow (long) burn. But again, in my situation where I do not have a fire already going, my logs are burning out quickly, which makes sense.
thanks for the quick answer!

I guess I'll need to go find a saw or something so I can cut my logs down further.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: May 27, 2015, 03:39:10 pm »

Pretty sure you only need a tool with tree cutting 2 to make planks from the trunks.
The only use I found for logs (aside from logwalls, of course) is making charcoal.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: May 27, 2015, 03:43:49 pm »

Logs are great to replenish your batteries with an internal furnace. They give like 500 power each.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: May 27, 2015, 03:51:40 pm »

Logs are great to replenish your batteries with an internal furnace. They give like 500 power each.
And once again I find myself laughing at the thought of a survivor chowing down on a log.

Time to make a character, name him Woody, give myself internal furnace and an axe (with the name "Lucy" inscribed on it) and run around eating forests.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1295 on: May 27, 2015, 09:31:10 pm »

Don't forget to eat real food! :P

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: May 28, 2015, 04:10:05 am »

Speaking of PRing text files, would it be in any way advisable to make the game default to two different fonts for the game/map windows, and the respective sidebars? Standard squished font for sidebars with all the text, square font for maps, now that it comes with a square and a a non-square font by default. There's no way to do it from within the game, and I don't know how many people even know it's possible to do it.

I think something like this has been PR'ed already but might require user input or something.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: May 28, 2015, 05:44:38 am »

All I remember along those lines was the adding of a square font to the distribution. It requires manually editing the fonts config to select it.

Which, on reflection, is kind of ridiculous. Tilesets can be changed on the fly. A simple implementation to select three fonts out of those available in the fonts folder should be fairly easy. A more complex implementation that would have a preview of the each selected font should also be possible. Though changes won't take effect until the game is restarted, just like with viewport size.

* Sean Mirrsen grumbles at the horrible disjointed mess of UI code that prevented him from making the resizable window PR work.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: May 28, 2015, 11:41:20 am »

Might be what I was recalling :)

In any event, I believe someone (DaveK?) was going to streamline the UI code soonish.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: May 28, 2015, 12:47:21 pm »

Folding shopping carts are fun to make, but require putting an item in them to bring up the options menu for examine, grab item, and fold. If it's empty you will automatically examine.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: May 28, 2015, 01:02:46 pm »

So I has a question. I'm currently on a break from cataclysm, but I still occasionally work out possibly fun things to try and do or builds to try next time I boot it up and plop them in a .txt.

Does str effect the swing speed of slow, heavy weapons? Like if I maxed out a character at 20 str and then got the hydraulic muscles CBM that gives you 20 more str and popped some drugs to make an uberhulk, would he be able to swing a sledgehammer or log or tree much faster and more accurately than a "normal" character?

If not, why? Would it be difficult to put in a basic formula for the heavier an object is the more str affects its time to swing?

Would it be possible to make a character strong enough to realistically throw a car far enough to be worthwhile, and if so would it be possible to make vehicles throwable while dragging them?

In essence, can I has Hulk?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: May 28, 2015, 01:16:34 pm »

I dont know how hulk can the player be but i had a character with 15ish str with the hydrolic muscle i think? it adds 20 strengh for a total of 35 yet my damage with my katana didnt seem to increase that much for the power drain it makes.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: May 28, 2015, 01:55:22 pm »

Well that's somewhat sensible, a sword's damage comes from its cutting edge, once you swing it hard enough to cut clean through, adding more strength doesn't really increase damage done. Now blunt weapons are a bit different, you have to swing hard enough to just pulp/disintegrate the entire impact area before the damage falls off there, and even then swinging harder would in theory knock them back farther and farther until you hit them so hard you just cut through the impact area. Then they probably wouldn't be knocked back at all. But given they'd be dead/dying/horribly crippled that's not much of an issue.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 01:57:19 pm by Kaitol »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: May 28, 2015, 02:09:54 pm »

Good point i didnt know it was coded as such i tought melee bonus was a flat addition to damage after impact and not realisticly protrayed.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: May 28, 2015, 03:01:24 pm »

Well I don't think it was intentionally portrayed like that for those reasons, but I think there is probably a falloff point where adding more strength doesn't get you noticeably bigger hits.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 451