Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 825749 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #1230 on: May 23, 2015, 09:13:44 am »

I recently got new version of Cataclysm DDA after not playing for a long time and I don't know how to speed up reading. Is it a bug or what? It takes minutes in real time. I don't remember it being like that before. I wanted to ask that in official forum, but they got verification questions for elitist club of experts only...

Which new version? Stable C or Experimentals? Don't even bother with Stable.

widrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: May 23, 2015, 10:00:46 am »

Stable... I know in Cataclysm experimental was better (if there was anything else since I don't remember) but I thought in Cataclysm DDA stable are actually stable. Anyway it really sucks reading takes so much time in real time (not a time in game). I should be able to at least have an option to disable that or it should be more smooth. Like in Crawl - wait until healed etc... Maybe program it to nod bother for things about outside of the room for instance.
And about version - I will try experimental than.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 10:03:09 am by widrox »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: May 23, 2015, 10:07:28 am »

Programming it to ingnore things outside would just result in a stating game outside, which is somethng that noone wants, not really. Best bet, find a house somewhere with few baddies and settle down to read there. Reading takes a long time, but you are learning skills. Dim light, hunger, thirst, and being tired also slows it down, so remember that.

However, if it takes a min to learn a skill from an early-level book,you either are playing with a really dim char, have slow reader, have far toomany things outside, or use a toaster for a computer...

Also, Stable does mean stable. Well, as stable as any in-development game can be. Experimentals are expected to crash all the time.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: May 23, 2015, 10:21:55 am »

Experimentals crash less than Stable, 99 times out of 100. Experimentals are constantly fixing bugs, new and old. Old saves are the biggest source of errors, which usually are still playable. The errors are rare anyway.

widrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: May 23, 2015, 10:33:36 am »

Programming it to ingnore things outside would just result in a stating game outside, which is somethng that noone wants, not really. Best bet, find a house somewhere with few baddies and settle down to read there. Reading takes a long time, but you are learning skills. Dim light, hunger, thirst, and being tired also slows it down, so remember that.

However, if it takes a min to learn a skill from an early-level book,you either are playing with a really dim char, have slow reader, have far toomany things outside, or use a toaster for a computer...

Also, Stable does mean stable. Well, as stable as any in-development game can be. Experimentals are expected to crash all the time.

My computer is more like a low mid or high low but certainly not a toaster. It run's Skyrim in max settings with 60 fps vsync enabled and newer games I played also run in high settings. Dwarf Fortress also goes along.

As for reading and programming I don't understand how it goes code wise and I am not even a programmer really, but maybe it could be speed up real time. The same it is but with faster display of text. I searched the internet and found that it is not only my problem, but that it's a bug introduced at least year ago... I know it should take time in game time , but for the player it would be better if it would not take minutes or more to just looking at the text and have game frozen in that time.

Also I have another question :) Yes it is with performance again. Kind of. Is it normal in tiles version full screen to close in 10-15 seconds (I mean after quitting the game)? Something like minimizing and maximizing for a couple of times (same with  alt tabbing) and finally ends. It is normal if apps have different resolution than your desktop, but normally it only minimizes and maximizes once and quits, not like CDDA. I enabled it whole in HIPS so its not because of that.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: May 23, 2015, 10:35:09 am »

As for reading and programming I don't understand how it goes code wise and I am not even a programmer really, but maybe it could be speed up real time. The same it is but with faster display of text. I searched the internet and found that it is not only my problem, but that it's a bug introduced at least year ago... I know it should take time in game time , but for the player it would be better if it would not take minutes or more to just looking at the text and have game frozen in that time.
I think it already does this, and infact I am certain it does. Not as fast as sleeping, but it does speed it up.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: May 23, 2015, 10:40:57 am »

"Experimentals are expected to crash all the time."
Ahh, I think that grossly overstates it.  I would say more that "It's POSSIBLE a particular experimental might crash" and in my experience anything as gross as a crash is fixed within half a day to a day at most.   And the experimentals do have lots of bugfixes that the last Stable version doesn't.

The big plus/minus of experimentals imho is the changed/added features - if you happen to pick up an experimental just after something big went in, it might not be balanced or working 100% over all the possible weird things that can happen in a game of this scope.  I usually don't mind that, but if it feels weird I do go check the last few pages of pull requests to see wassup, there's really not much other avenues of notification.

If you're getting fairly far in, and it would seriously bug you if you lost a ton of progress to a crash, DO go set autosaves every 5 or 10 minutes, or at least the question to save when you sleep.  Also if you don't want to risk dying to something new and unknown, keep an Explorer window open and periodically save and copy the save directory (ie prepare to "savescum").  It gives me that feeling of safety, even though I almost never use it (I like to start fresh, the early days are the parts I tend to like most - risky, time pressure to get set up, and not piles and piles of stuff to manage, enjoyable as *that* can be when I'm in the mood for it).

And yeah, when reading eyeball how long each period takes and get a feel for what it should be (CLOSEish to the time listed in the book plus your obvious mods) and if it's way off try to figure out what's wrong - tired, bad light, low focus, big negative effects to Int or movement, whatever.  And for sure don't read next to a room full of blobs or something, basement or middle of a cleared out area is recommended.   Are you saying it takes a minute to learn a whole skill level?  That's ... actually not so bad, that's like 10-15 periods even at low skill levels, each of which is about a half hour of game time, and it does get worse from there.  A minute to sim 5-10 hours of game time?  To me that's not crazy-excessive...

pedrousz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: May 23, 2015, 10:42:29 am »

There is any difference between the speed-up-because-I'm-reading/crafting from speed-up-because-I'm-sleeping?

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: May 23, 2015, 11:25:01 am »

widrox, try experimenting with software rendering option to see if it fixes your performance problems.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: May 23, 2015, 12:24:51 pm »

There is any difference between the speed-up-because-I'm-reading/crafting from speed-up-because-I'm-sleeping?

Mechanically, at least from what I've seen, the main difference is that the sleep speed-up goes in 30-minute increments until 3-ish hours pass and then fast-forwards through until you wake up, while the reading/crafting goes in increments that are usually shorter and are based on the overall time needed to complete the process. For reading, for example, the increments are always measured in how long it takes you to read the book.
Nothing important here, move along.

widrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: May 23, 2015, 12:36:09 pm »

widrox, try experimenting with software rendering option to see if it fixes your performance problems.

Yeah I changed it and now it flips only two times and close the game a lot faster.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 12:56:17 pm by widrox »

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: May 23, 2015, 01:55:59 pm »

Has there been a change in armor recently? Specifically, does armor protect less than it used to? Just last week, I remember, being able to plow through a city while wearing active Power Armor. Only a direct hit from a Hulk could deal damage to me, and even then not so much. Now, I couldn't take a step without getting shredded by Feral Predators and the spit of Corrosive Zombies, and getting pain shot through the roof as a result. What could be the cause of this, exactly?

Oh, just in case, my char's got most of the good slime mutations and uses dragon kung-fu.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: May 23, 2015, 02:02:34 pm »

So which of the martial/weapon styles CAN'T you as a skill book?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: May 23, 2015, 02:05:58 pm »

Yeah I changed it and now it flips only two times and close the game a lot faster.

How to run on any graphics chipset:
Download the console experimental version.
Do not run full screen mode.
Play the game.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: May 23, 2015, 02:51:16 pm »

I recently got new version of Cataclysm DDA after not playing for a long time and I don't know how to speed up reading. Is it a bug or what? It takes minutes in real time. I don't remember it being like that before. I wanted to ask that in official forum, but they got verification questions for elitist club of experts only...
I took a look at the questions, and they had gotten pretty bad, we kept ratcheting them up because the spambots kept getting through, but it looks like it got out of hand at the end, sorry about that.  The questions are less "flavorful" now, but you should be able to look up all the answers or they should be common knowledge (which enemy is alive, a wolf or a zombie?)

Has there been a change in armor recently? Specifically, does armor protect less than it used to? Just last week, I remember, being able to plow through a city while wearing active Power Armor. Only a direct hit from a Hulk could deal damage to me, and even then not so much. Now, I couldn't take a step without getting shredded by Feral Predators and the spit of Corrosive Zombies, and getting pain shot through the roof as a result. What could be the cause of this, exactly?
A bug in armor coverage calculations was causing the value to be inverted, the more coverage you had, the worse it was.  For a short time, chainmail bikinis were the best armor in the game.  Fix merged last night.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 451