Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 825769 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #1215 on: May 20, 2015, 11:54:30 am »

All generators, and for that matter lawnmowers, snowblowers, and weedwackers, I have seen have atleast one control, to turn the thing off. Most generators have atleast a clutch and a throttle of so kind, even if it is just on/off. Most generators arround new england also electric start, atleast the larger (bigger than a lawnmower) ones. Many also have casters...

Dynamos are alternators. Steering and speedometers are just there because noone wants to add ~8 sets of control panels, the same reason why we only have one cardboard box.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: May 20, 2015, 12:10:19 pm »

Yeah isn't that basically what generators are? Obviously you need an engine to convert fuel into mechanical power, you'd need controls to start/stop it and throttle it, you'd need a frame to house the whole thing, an alternator converts mechanical power to zappy power, fuel tank holds the fuel, battery runs the starter and smooths out the power draw

How else do you make a generator?
Engine+fuel tank, pull starter, dynamo attached via belt to engine. No controls. Especially no steering, no speedometer, no dome lights. Just a machine I manually activate and stop when needed.

Really, all this would change would be adding a "starter" part to most cars, which is basically a small electric engine plus belt or rope in crafting. With electric starters being the only ones activated via controls, and the other kinds allowing engines to be manually activated by 'e'xamining its tile.

Worst case scenario, keep your "integrated starters" if you like. But allow engines to be manually started sans controls! A dashboard and steering make no sense on a device that does not drive!

We already don't have key starts for vehicles. They're just using a push button. Having individual keys for every vehicle would add needless code bloat. A car IS a generator. It's also got a mechanical component that translates rotation to wheels. You're asking for a part that already exists, but happens to have a flashlight in it. A flashlight on a mechanical thing that turns gasoline into electricity. You're right. Totally unrealistic.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: May 20, 2015, 12:12:58 pm »

Actually, vehicles "have" keys, hence why when trying to start cars it sometimes talks about not being able to find a key, and you needing to use a screwdriver. I think the "key" is only needed when there is a functional security system though...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: May 20, 2015, 12:16:24 pm »

All generators, and for that matter lawnmowers, snowblowers, and weedwackers, I have seen have atleast one control, to turn the thing off. Most generators have atleast a clutch and a throttle of so kind, even if it is just on/off. Most generators arround new england also electric start, atleast the larger (bigger than a lawnmower) ones. Many also have casters...

Dynamos are alternators. Steering and speedometers are just there because noone wants to add ~8 sets of control panels, the same reason why we only have one cardboard box.
Please don't confuse a manufactured generator with a DIY one. :P

Most generators would always run on the same throttle. Most engines have throttle controls exposed on them for maintenance. A clutch is just being generous, and if the engine has its transmission likewise integrated, the control mechanism for it is likewise exposed on the engine.

Point is, making a functioning engine + alternator combination should not be a matter that requires welding anything together. You should be able to make a wooden frame, affix a motor, a tank, and a dynamo to it with duct tape, then just start the motor. Battery optional. And you can't do that right now because you need a welder to make a controls item. And you can't even take controls off of vehicles early on anymore because the security system takes 8 skill to remove.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: May 20, 2015, 12:29:44 pm »

I wont confuse DIY gennies with factory made ones if you differentiate between things.

Not all vehicles have security systems... I also think that you can remove controls from a vehicle with a broken security system, although I will have to check, so Ill be back in a moment, along with the vehicles without security systems.

Also, I believe you can make a makeshift welder fairly early on.

Bikes, APCs, MICs, food venders, golf carts, icecream carts, inflatible boats, quad bikes, Scooters, and Unicycles all have no security systems on them and have controlls. There are others without security, but do have controls.

Makeshift welders take 3 heating elements, 2 scrap, and eight wires, and needs... no skill whatsoever? Yah, it needs no skill whatsoever. the recipe is in some book, Mechanichal mastery has it, which is odd and should be fixed...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 12:43:46 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: May 20, 2015, 02:03:44 pm »

Eh, the welder is never the actual problem with welding. Any recipe for welding goggles?

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: May 20, 2015, 02:14:03 pm »

Eh, the welder is never the actual problem with welding. Any recipe for welding goggles?

Yes. Spray cans and bottles, I think. Best to check the raw item browser.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: May 20, 2015, 02:23:35 pm »

I got a question reguarding encumbrance... in the status view i had torso (0) 23+20 for a 43 total but now out of the blue i have torso (1) 23 + 10 for a total of 18 in green O.o?

Somebody can explain me what the (1) mean? and why out of no where i suddenly have less total encumbrance than i had before O.O without changing my clothing set?

Or explain the breakdown of the encumberment status screen?

Edit: Just realised the last number is the warmth factor.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 02:25:09 pm by jocan2003 »
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: May 20, 2015, 08:20:39 pm »

I found a gun-filled basement containing a P90 and 200 rounds. My character is kind of like a nerdy school student so I imagine him picking up the gun and thinking back to his days playing counterstrike, perhaps being surprised at the actual weight and bulk of a firearm. Character development, anyone?

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1224 on: May 20, 2015, 09:16:13 pm »

You sure he's not a Stargate geek? ;)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: May 21, 2015, 02:36:35 am »

Okay, so since splitting starters off into their own thing meets such resistance, how about adding a "basic controls" item? Something that allows to control things attached to the vehicle (stereo, lights, engines, fridge, etc), but not steer or drive it? Something less complex to assemble than controls, that needs neither a welder nor learning a recipe from a book to make.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: May 21, 2015, 06:40:57 am »

I do like that idea.
Highly Opinionated Fool

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1227 on: May 21, 2015, 09:40:09 am »

Does seem a lot more reasonable.
Something simple like a few switches, a couple gauges, and maybe a lever.
Yea, I would support that idea. :)

widrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: May 23, 2015, 01:29:26 am »

I recently got new version of Cataclysm DDA after not playing for a long time and I don't know how to speed up reading. Is it a bug or what? It takes minutes in real time. I don't remember it being like that before. I wanted to ask that in official forum, but they got verification questions for elitist club of experts only...

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: May 23, 2015, 03:30:46 am »

I recently got new version of Cataclysm DDA after not playing for a long time and I don't know how to speed up reading. Is it a bug or what? It takes minutes in real time. I don't remember it being like that before. I wanted to ask that in official forum, but they got verification questions for elitist club of experts only...

Where/what are you reading? If there's a lot of activity happening around you, it'll take ages to get through. Fungals, blobs and other creatures that multiply or spawn in large numbers are especially bad for any activity that "speeds up" time. If you're reading a high level book that used to have 10 minute read times per skill update, it probably got the reading time changed to about 50 minutes.

As for their forums, I'd always figured that was why they don't have as many people on there as they really could. The game updates so quickly that I don't even remember which major structure out of those listed was supposed to be the feature of 0.B stable, so no account there for me either.

Anyways, while I'm here, I'd also like to report an issue with the Ursine mutation path in Version:93c35bb, where getting all of the mutations makes you dream about Rex and hatchlings. I think the Culler to Apex Predator and Sapiovore mutations tips something a bit too far towards Raptor. I didn't check if Beast is affected in the same way, but that might be worth looking into as well.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 03:37:13 am by duckman »
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 451