Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 825372 times)

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #735 on: April 16, 2015, 10:51:21 pm »

There are two major differences between DF z-levels and what we plan on doing.
1. We aren't going to be doing "rolling hills" like DF does, at least for the first implementation, it's still going to be unnaturally flat, but just with specific features like multistory buildings that take advantage of upper levels.
2. If we can't do significantly better than DF with the visibility of more dynamic terrain like hills and ditches, it's not going to get mainlined.

This isn't a dig at DF, I think the DF implementation is doing what Toady wants it to, I just think DDA needs more situational awareness.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: April 17, 2015, 06:09:30 am »

YAY! Thank you guys for assuaging my fears! *muchhugs*
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 17, 2015, 08:15:45 am »

With melee skill at 11, dodge at 5, and bashing at 3, air filtration CBM and dielectric capacitance system CBM, it is entirely feasible to stroll through a minor city wearing nothing but a bondage suit and bondage mask (admittedly, studded with kevlar and leather) while wielding a vibrator as a melee weapon.

I shall call it it Kinky Kungfu

Welcome to the Third Street Saints my friend!

:P

Aaaanyways, I haven't played if forever. Been wondering...

How does the dino mod spawn dinosaurs? I've played on a world with that on before and only ever found them in swamps.

I want my damn t-rex chase :P

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 17, 2015, 08:21:42 am »

Why does this game seem so much like a Carmageddon roguelike sometimes? I just spent an hour of in-universe time just driving around in a plain, unmodified car off the street, squashing zombies of all shapes and sizes. And plinking at them with a pistol crossbow from time to time.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: April 17, 2015, 09:20:34 am »

With melee skill at 11, dodge at 5, and bashing at 3, air filtration CBM and dielectric capacitance system CBM, it is entirely feasible to stroll through a minor city wearing nothing but a bondage suit and bondage mask (admittedly, studded with kevlar and leather) while wielding a vibrator as a melee weapon.

I shall call it it Kinky Kungfu

Welcome to the Third Street Saints my friend!

:P

Aaaanyways, I haven't played if forever. Been wondering...

How does the dino mod spawn dinosaurs? I've played on a world with that on before and only ever found them in swamps.

I want my damn t-rex chase :P

They only spawn in swamps and those wildlife centers that are brown buildings on the map.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: April 17, 2015, 10:55:07 pm »

Another bug, related to the infinite item bug I found earlier. Trying to empty my cobbled together wooden transport unit, and, well, when using the 'a'll square command to do it, I accidentally made 200 nail guns. Seems that using advanced inventory management when not specifically pulling from one vehicle square is broken. Build c1a8849.

Edit: This is only the 'a'll square setting. When using the 'd'ragged setting, items are removed properly. And the specific square commands don't see vehicle containers at all.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: April 18, 2015, 05:55:15 am »

We've got upgrading zombies over time in the experimentals now (or at least in another half hour or so after this post when the experimental finishes compiling)! It's a fairly basic implementation, and I'm sure you guys will find all sorts of things wrong with it, but thanks to the perseverance of one Frost-wood it's now in the game. :D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 18, 2015, 06:24:33 am »

We've got upgrading zombies over time in the experimentals now (or at least in another half hour or so after this post when the experimental finishes compiling)! It's a fairly basic implementation, and I'm sure you guys will find all sorts of things wrong with it, but thanks to the perseverance of one Frost-wood it's now in the game. :D
That's awesome!
Next: mutating zombies?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

pedrousz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 18, 2015, 10:44:57 am »

Since the most terrain will probably be flat what is the purpose of z-level? I might be a dumbass but couldn't you guys keeping using z-levels like with basements?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: April 18, 2015, 11:19:25 am »

Well, who wouldn't want to climb on a roof and take potshot at zombies? Slam zeds with a sledgehammer and send them flying through a high-rise window? Have swarm of angry bees flying over your barricades and wrecking your place?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: April 18, 2015, 01:04:37 pm »

Also iirc currently part of the problem is that stuff dosn't interact with the basement style z-levels.  You can push a zombie into the open space or whatever like you have in mines, but the body won't be down below it just vanishes.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 18, 2015, 03:45:14 pm »

Since the most terrain will probably be flat what is the purpose of z-level? I might be a dumbass but couldn't you guys keeping using z-levels like with basements?
The current z-level implementation (which is also used in the "z-levels mod") is, to put it bluntly, absolutely horrible. It was very full of hacks, which meant that if you wanted to add anything cool to the system (like shooting monsters from a roof, or zombies that fall off things actually landing on the ground, or things not ending up "flying" because they don't fall properly) it was basically impossible just due to the sheer amount of hackery involved.

Something like 60% of the z-levels stuff just involved cutting out the sheer number of hacks that used to be in place and replacing them with a sensible system.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: April 18, 2015, 03:50:24 pm »

Speaking of sensible systems, I have a world where the down staircase (half of it, half is over a wall) in a shelter leads into a nearby underground lab. Could it not do that?

It's also apparently impossible to freeze to death.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: April 18, 2015, 04:25:59 pm »

Obviously that shelter was used for mutations experiments. Why do you think you're the only survivor left there?

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: April 18, 2015, 04:38:00 pm »

somebodys been experimenting in the wasteslands but out of sight again.  Might have to shoot youre way in though
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 451