Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 825711 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #555 on: April 06, 2015, 10:25:44 am »

Proper eating

Wait, does this game model proper nutrition? Because my diet consists mostly almost exclusively of water, cooked meat, and johnnycakes. A balanced diet it is not.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: April 06, 2015, 10:31:42 am »

Not really. Character have a hidden 'health stat'. If it is low, you have a higher chance of getting a cold or the flu. I think it also influence your chances of recovering from infection. Junk food and drugs bring that stat down, while fruits, herbal tea and vitamins bring it up.

As far as I know, cooked meat and jhonnycake both are neutral, so you won't have issue there.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: April 06, 2015, 10:33:49 am »

Every comestible (That is, food and drugs) is given a "Healthiness" rating, eating them affects your health, positive or negative.
Health will naturalize to a value of 0.

It is definitely not realistic. Eating cracklings is as unhealthy as snorting crack.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: April 06, 2015, 10:36:42 am »

Proper eating
Wait, does this game model proper nutrition? Because my diet consists mostly almost exclusively of water, cooked meat, and johnnycakes. A balanced diet it is not.
(wiki) Many comestibles modify your health value, which affects your chance of catching ambient diseases, among other effects.

Fake edit: Ninja'd.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: April 06, 2015, 10:56:41 am »

I guess I'm safe then, but I didn't realize the value of vitamins. I'd mostly been ignoring them before, but I'll definitely start picking them up and downing one every morning now.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: April 06, 2015, 10:59:37 am »

Eating cracklings is as unhealthy as snorting crack.
This made me wonder, is there any sort of real life measure of how dangerous something is for you to do? So you could actually compare these two things.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: April 06, 2015, 11:27:20 am »

This made me wonder, is there any sort of real life measure of how dangerous something is for you to do? So you could actually compare these two things.
Not really. There's too much variables and unknowns to even make such a thing.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: April 06, 2015, 11:34:43 am »

Well, the fact is that in this case, 'health' only refer to its impact on your immune system. Artery-cloggers should be no issue as long as your white cells can still get to the infection point.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: April 06, 2015, 02:36:46 pm »

Micromorts are a rough attempt at this. You also have the Microlife statistic.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: April 06, 2015, 02:44:09 pm »

Micromorts are a rough attempt at this. You also have the Microlife statistic.

I read both of those. 2-3 cups of coffee increases your life expectancy by one microlife(half an hour). How many cups of coffee until I attain immortality? What's the micromort chance of that?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: April 06, 2015, 02:46:23 pm »

I read both of those. 2-3 cups of coffee increases your life expectancy by one microlife(half an hour). How many cups of coffee until I attain immortality?
Infinity, duh.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: April 06, 2015, 04:00:26 pm »

As a person who drinks half of infinity cups of coffee everyday, I can assure you, I'm moving further away from immortality...

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: April 07, 2015, 11:19:31 am »

Probably estimated reduction of lifespan when (substance) is consumed (times) per (timespan). Not that that'd be easy to conjure up values for, of course.

Anywho, now that I've figured out how servers and routers work, I'm thinking of opening up Cataclysm for public play. Is there a way to keep users from creating/deleting worlds, or characters? Compilation options? Roguebasin suggests a pretty simple setup on the outside, but the more intimate parts of Cataclysm are a bit foreign to me.
There's a forum thread outlining it on the dda forums, but I can't find it right now (on a phone), in the meantime I believe ./cataclysm -h or ./cataclysm --help will give inteligible output now, and most of the options to make it shared-server-friendly are command-line options.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: April 07, 2015, 12:52:21 pm »

I read both of those. 2-3 cups of coffee increases your life expectancy by one microlife(half an hour). How many cups of coffee until I attain immortality?
Infinity, duh.
Expressed that way, yes, infinity, however, it would be a mere 48-72 cups a day to maintain.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: April 07, 2015, 01:05:01 pm »

The "healthyness" of foods IRL is mostly measured considering short and long term effects, and how much do you need to consume of a certain thing in order for it to be harmful. Eating a bucket of fried chicken today is fine, eating a bucket of fried chicken everyday is totally not fine.

This somehow reminds me that black licorice is actualy pretty unhealthy if you eat too much of it. And too much black licorice isn't really THAT much even. Overdosing on it can even cause heart attacks, and it also carries a surprise for male enthusiasts: It supposedly stimulates the production of estrogen in your body, which doenst mean you'll become a girl by eating black licorice regulary, but it can cause a number of serious health issues with just a few weeks of constant consumption.
EDIT: I misremembered. It can actualy mess a number of thyroid hormones and worsen their effect, specialy if you're undertaking hormone therapy.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 01:10:10 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 451