Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 824944 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

I missed that option entirely.  The point stands however that freezing in spring while wearing winter gear is just silly.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

As long as you wear enough to keep your @ numbers green/above 0, you should be fine. :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It has to be full winter gear too, to my knowledge. As a winter survivor, sleeping outside was difficult because my face was so cold that I kept waking up in the night and couldn't find anything to put on. A coat and pants would be surprisingly unhelpful when your feet, hands, and head are freezing.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Sleeping in a pile of sheets/blankets/pillows/clothing works to help you stay warm while asleep.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The scenario I am outlining is that while actively moving around and gathering items in spring while wearing full winter gear, gloves, facial coverings etcetera, I am still suffering the effects of cold reducing my mobility and resulting in my getting torn up by zombies I have kited onto bushes, into windows, across vehicles, and so on (using parkour expert and quick).  I see this as problematic, and an impediment to my personal enjoyment of the game.

Starting in summer definitely helped reduce the problem, now I just have to compensate for the massively revised hit/dodge mechanics.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I've hardly had any problems with the cold once I figured out how to craft my way past it. There are enough materials in the starting shelter alone to give you plenty of warmth.

Plus you have the emergency jackets in the lockers now, which go a long way towards keeping your hands and head warm, as long as your head is unencumbered and you don't wield anything. You can craft a keffiyeh - which I am assuming is some sort of scarf-like thing - out of a sheet for mouth warmth, you can make a rag tunic out of one as well, or wear the whole sheet if you feel so inclined.

Also do keep in mind, as I have had this pointed out to me before. You start out at the start of Spring, which also means at the end of Winter. Spring does not immediately start out all warmth and flowers, it has a long period of cold winds, rain, and snow.
Though maybe it's just me being Russian. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yah, a quick google search show me that average New England temperatures are all above freezing past March, and only at freezing during.  While that doesn't rule out lower-than average days or exposure, it does pretty much rule out freezing to death while wearing winter clothing.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

The thing is, you're not freezing to death. Your extremities are just getting uncomfortably cold.

I mean, it's obvious that all the characters have Raynaud's, since the warmth system doesn't take into account blood circulation, but the fact still remains that, even in non-freezing temperatures (up to about 50 degrees Fahrenheit), if your hands aren't covered by at least a little bit, they'll get cold pretty quick, to the point where it can be painful.
Nothing important here, move along.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Would it be very hard to program the warmth system to take into account warmth of the torso when dealing with the extremities? To account (roughly) for blood circulation?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Pacific Northwest is at a similar latitude to the New England states. The Pacific Ocean makes us a bit warmer since air is coming off the ocean. New England gets its air from the land. Plus it's often coming in from over Canada. It's still jacket weather even now in Washington state if you have no body padding.

ejseto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #1000 on: May 03, 2015, 01:55:27 pm »

Would it be very hard to program the warmth system to take into account warmth of the torso when dealing with the extremities? To account (roughly) for blood circulation?

It already does that to some degree. There is diffusion of heat to adjacent body parts proportional to the temperature difference.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: May 03, 2015, 11:57:31 pm »

It's not necessarily hard, but what's the model based on?  I couldn't find a reference for how that works, so we just have something slapped together, and you can see how well that's working out.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: May 04, 2015, 12:57:12 am »

I think there should be traits regarding warmth/cold tolerance, since it is, to a certain level, a question of acclimatisation. Nordic blood for cold resistance, Tropic thunder for heat resistance, negative traits for increased discomfort from cold/heat.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: May 04, 2015, 02:02:33 am »

Also do keep in mind, as I have had this pointed out to me before. You start out at the start of Spring, which also means at the end of Winter. Spring does not immediately start out all warmth and flowers, it has a long period of cold winds, rain, and snow.
Though maybe it's just me being Russian. :P

It's not you being Russian, it's the truth!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: May 04, 2015, 02:51:35 am »

Personally when I go out into the freezing snow with a snowjacket, gloves, and winter boots IRL, I'm not a shivering helpless mess of zombie-bait within minutes, or even a few hours if I have a warm hat on. It's really annoying ingame to be constantly spammed with YOUR PINKY FEELS CHILLY or YOUR TOES ARE SOLID ICE BECAUSE YOU STEPPED ON A SNOW IN HEAVY BOOTS
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 451