Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 827342 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #6075 on: March 02, 2019, 07:56:10 am »

That looks amazing !

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6076 on: March 02, 2019, 12:03:47 pm »

That's the only CDDA tileset I've yet seen that doesn't look like raw ass.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #6077 on: March 02, 2019, 12:28:27 pm »

For some reason, the artwork there kind of makes me think of Project Zomboid.

And I think that's a good thing, personally.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #6078 on: March 02, 2019, 12:36:39 pm »

3/4 perspective is something roguelikes should have been using as soon as tilesets became a thing. It looks soooo much better than top-down.
thincake

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6079 on: March 02, 2019, 01:03:07 pm »

ASCII is still the best look though~

Well, something's always felt a bit off playing a tile based game with images but no animation. Things with a level of fidelity between character graphics and like, advance wars sprites fall into an uncanny valley for me.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6080 on: March 02, 2019, 09:05:15 pm »

lack of animation never disturbed me as i have played enough wargames through the decades to be used to motionless tiles and sprites.

When it comes to cataclysm, the ascii was good enough originally as fortunately i was used to it from some old ascii-only roguelikes, when tileset support was implemented i found myself going back to ascii nearly for all my play through, there was something missing from the ones available but couldnt put my finger on what it was. A bit like most graphic tiles i tried in DF that made me go back to my self edited ascii tileset everytime.

Now when Retrodays appeared, it had such old school gaming feeling that i started to play with it more and more.
But when Deadpeople edition got a release, i never looked back it is incredibly good.

This new tileset has a very good potential, the visuals feels really coherent with each other and it just look really great, can't wait to give it a try.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6081 on: March 02, 2019, 09:43:47 pm »

Some progress today. We haven't settled on a sideways door style yet. Fuji from discord made a better character sprite. I'm pretty happy with how this is going, I hope to open a GitHub project for it soon.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 09:48:04 pm by Erk »
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6082 on: March 02, 2019, 09:52:18 pm »

Are you planning to have some character customisation (i mean by example if you wear an helmet, said helmet can be seen on your character head etc...) like some other tilesets do ?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6083 on: March 02, 2019, 10:05:01 pm »

Are you planning to have some character customisation (i mean by example if you wear an helmet, said helmet can be seen on your character head etc...) like some other tilesets do ?
That's the only thing tempting me away from it, I would never use another tileset if that was implemented.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6084 on: March 02, 2019, 10:09:18 pm »

I'm working on making this the flagship cdda tileset, so it will be fully featured, including layered character sprites yes. It should take advantage of all the rendering options we have available. (Oh yeah PNG transparency too. Giving lots of things drop shadow)

I'm going to take what I've got now and render up an evacuation shelter pretty soon here. I'm hoping that existing item sprites from one of our many other tilesets might work okay with just some cartoon reduction (removing the outline, maybe adding a tiny bit of dirt or shading), which would make the next step much faster.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 10:15:14 pm by Erk »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6085 on: March 02, 2019, 10:14:03 pm »

Excellent !

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6087 on: March 02, 2019, 10:17:21 pm »

So I'm guessing erk is a dev for the game then?

I don't know that there's a formal category of "developer" versus normal contributors, but I'm a frequent contributor lately and have cleverraven maintenance permissions, so I am sort of a baby dev. I can't code to save my skin though, I do mapping and writing (and apparently drawing, but I don't want to get too mired in this once I've got the project off the ground)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #6088 on: March 02, 2019, 10:26:05 pm »

One of the problems I've always had with tilesets, in general, is clarity and density of information.

Many games have had tilesets that either present less than the equivalent ASCII would, or present as much or more, but it's quite difficult to tell without taking a hard look, which for me is no better than not presenting it, since I'll end up examining it in-game in both cases.
This can be due to significantly larger tiles which usually means less of the game is being shown at once (not as big issue these days since Full HD is the usually minimum resolution), sprites that don't change even when the ASCII representation would, or sprites that present differences in details as only a pixel or two, whereas the ASCII would do something like change color or flash.

Just food for thought from a long-time ASCII-by-default player.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6089 on: March 02, 2019, 10:31:22 pm »

It's definitely not going to show as much on screen as ASCII. I did  few mockups with 16x16 and 24x24 tiles, which would be closer, but although I could make a neat tileset there it'd be a pretty standard roguelike look. This is the only one I've hit on that really looks different from the standard roguelike, and IMO works better for the real-life-gone-wrong feel desired for the game.

I am not sure what actual specific information ASCII conveys better besides volume of data. These tiles will show your current equipment at a glance for example, and it's much easier to tell zombie types apart.

Oh. I should draw some more zombie types.
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 451