Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 827752 times)

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #5820 on: October 18, 2018, 01:23:41 am »

Will be back for the eventual 0.D release but i'll go play something else meanwhile.
Thanks for the storytimes, it was nice to see this thread in the New Replies list for some reason else than github drama again!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: October 18, 2018, 02:36:52 pm »

Alright, help needed again. Different thing this time, but I still might be simply not looking for answers in the right places.

The game started crashing like crazy as of late, to the point where I can't get to another autosave (5 min). Loading takes ages too.
I suspect it's to do with save bloat, as the problem was there before occasionally, but got worse as I kept exploring the world (I'm driving around >a lot<) and building up my doom buggy. World map files take up 100 Mb, the character ~60 Mb.
Although I seem to recollect this not being a problem back when I played DDA the last time, with similar play style, maybe a year ago or so.
I don't see anything regarding major instability in the latest experimentals, but again, maybe I'm just not looking right. Tried a few of the latest versions, both tiles and console. No change.

I've got the vanilla mods in, plus boats, modular turrets(?), and alternative map key. Doesn't seem like anything could cause issues here.

So, questions:
1. Any easy way to alleviate this?
2. Can I maybe purge some save files manually? Which bits can be safely deleted without breaking the save? I tried to delete all map files, but that deleted my car from under me as well (and did not seem to speed up loading significantly).
3. If you've seen this discussed somewhere else, do give us a linky, thx.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: October 18, 2018, 05:40:10 pm »

Thanks for the storytimes, it was nice to see this thread in the New Replies list for some reason else than github drama again!
Happy to see my character cdda misfortunes were entertaining :D

The game started crashing like crazy as of late, to the point where I can't get to another autosave (5 min). Loading takes ages too.

the experimentals i tested since a couple of week are crashing (of the type "catathingy.exe has caused an error" that leave no trace in the cdda logs to report) regularly, even when trying a new world (sometime just running through a street where lots of undead are roaming around can crash, sometime it works without problem, meaning i couldn't even report with a save on github to reproduce whatever bug is happening).
And that's probably why i always came back to the experimental i got from around summer and that never produced this kind of crash on my posts about my character attempt at surviving, and out of question to play cdda anymore without that amazing tileset and soundpack in case they're part of the recent problem.

for save editing for less bloat there's this :
https://discourse.cataclysmdda.org/t/way-to-reduce-save-file-size/4047/8
that has some interesting pointer on which file to delete.
edit : it's from 2013 so save files system may have changed since then.
A good idea is to load your save, walk around your house/car and save.
Quit then in the \maps\ various subfolders of your save delete all the files that aren't the ones that were just saved/modified.
It will then keep your house/car for the next time but will "regenerate" everything else in your world (so monsters and items will be randomly generated as if it was the first time you entered their tiles).
This should cut a lot on the amount of loading time of your save
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 06:26:35 pm by Robsoie »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: October 19, 2018, 05:41:14 am »

Thanks, Robsoie. Trimming the map files did not work. I guess I'm just going to put the game aside until more stable versions are released.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: October 21, 2018, 04:15:06 pm »

From what i read there should be some recent pull request that should help and should solve a massive performance issue :
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/26276
If i understand well the github this just got into the latest experimental. so hopefully it should help with your save issue if you download the latest build.

Now another performance big improvement should come from this other pull request, at the time i write it does not seem to be yet merged into experimental but once done it should fix completely all those laggy menu (drop, wash etc..)
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/26331

And while i remember, on reddit someone made this useful key sheet when refering to the ingame binding menu can be a pain
https://old.reddit.com/r/cataclysmdda/comments/9oml15/i_created_my_own_basic_controls_cheat_sheet_so_i/
https://i.imgur.com/4NZfr1Q.jpg
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 04:19:14 pm by Robsoie »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5825 on: October 21, 2018, 04:56:48 pm »

A wild crash has appeared! Palazzo uses the latest experimental. It had no effect!

Still crashing each time I try to get into a town or anywhere more taxing than grasslands. And I timed the loading process - 2.5 minutes each and every time.
But thanks for the heads-up, Robsoie. I'll keep checking new builds as they get pushed.

It was way too much effort to get Mr Hawking out of the hospital and build him a brand new wheelchair of doom to just abandon the save.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: October 23, 2018, 06:21:45 pm »

It lives!
I'm gonna keep this experimental stashed for safekeeping.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: October 23, 2018, 06:59:22 pm »

Which one fixed your problem ?
(edit : and from what i see the various lag in drop and wash menu are now fixed too, the pull request has been merged)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 07:05:55 pm by Robsoie »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: October 23, 2018, 07:14:58 pm »

Which one fixed your problem ?
8070. But I skipped two of the earlier ones, so I'm not sure which one did it.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: October 23, 2018, 08:29:42 pm »

Thanks, i'll then keep a 8070 just in case :)

Confirmed by giving a try that 8070 has indeed the previously mentionned lag bug in drop (and wash) menus fixed, this one was very annoying considering how much time i spend looting buildings and then dropping the useful stuff in my base.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: October 24, 2018, 12:31:57 am »

I've been using a 8064 without major issue (although I had a couple crashes leaving the basement).  Maybe I'll grab an 8070, just in case.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: October 24, 2018, 06:10:05 am »

To me just for the fix for the laggy multidrop/drop menu 8070 is already a great version.

Though unfortunately it looks like a moose isn't the biggest threat anymore
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: October 24, 2018, 06:42:43 am »

Is that a lake of fire in the shape of a moose?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: October 24, 2018, 12:47:08 pm »

Actually all of this was a bunch of undead corpses/items i hauled (the \ key) into a single location, added a couple of 2x4 on top and set fire with a lighter to get rid of all of them (as i am trying to keep the item count under control to see if it helps to avoid save bloat).
The fire being in the grass spread around and oddly took that shape after a while.

I guess it's an omen of things to come :D

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #5834 on: October 24, 2018, 01:04:23 pm »

I'd call it a Flaming Llama, personally.
But I'm a Winamp fan, so what do I know :P
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 451