Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 362 363 [364] 365 366 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 827718 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #5445 on: June 09, 2018, 03:30:04 pm »

I would think maintaining the thing that allows you to see to craft(or uncraft) would be a key part of the crafting process.  My dad had a bad car lifting jack that would slowly drop over the course of 10 to 15 minutes.  We always put some additional braces so it couldn't drop too far but those braces were not high enough to do any work comfortably, so it just became part of the job to occasionally jack the car back up again whenever working under it.

Would it be a difficult task to code the game to check your light source and add ingredients to the crafting process based on that light source?  If the light source is a fire, maybe add some 2x4s to the ingredients required list based on how long the crafting takes and just keep the fire burning at full strength until the crafting is done?   Probably wouldn't work for specific cases like sunset, but it sure as hell would be a better solution than depending on that incredibly unreliable continue crafting prompt.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5446 on: June 10, 2018, 08:49:04 am »

"Just do a tedious workaround to resume the tedious grinding you were busy doing"

Once you start a task the only thing to interrupt it should be the user or getting attacked. Also the game should automatically eat and drink during the work, nobody passes out from starvation while working on something in real life.
This is the thing people complain about with "realism" resulting in gameplay which is more frustrating than reality. In real life any work I put into taking something apart stays done. Of course in real life I get bored and play video games sometimes, when I want to escape the boredom and frustration...

Until this feature can be implemented in an actually realistic and non-frustrating way, why not take the route of better gameplay? Just take a shortcut, either remove the wait, and increase hunger and thirst directly, or find some other concession that makes stuff like this not actually stupid.  Then, if realism is really important, work on the realism aspects so it can be implemented realistically, including dealing with the frustrating and tedious aspects (i.e. auto eat, allowing you to pick up where you left off, etc...)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5447 on: June 10, 2018, 09:15:44 am »

'nobody passes out from starvation while working on something in real life'

I wouldn't say nobody.
Nothing important here, move along.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5448 on: June 10, 2018, 10:13:43 am »

nobody passes out from starvation while working on something in real life.

You would be surprised.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5449 on: June 10, 2018, 10:42:41 am »

Im not opposed to a negative trait that prevents eating or such when crafting, but the way we do it now is tedium for the sake of it.

not even; its just an example of ui lagging behind the times.  archaic code os archaic.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5450 on: June 10, 2018, 01:10:27 pm »

If anything issues and PRs should be raised about it. I mean I make a reminder post about here because I'm an ex-contributor, so...

Then again, the last time someone pointed out why this is a problem on github, it got closed due to Kevin getting triggered.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5451 on: June 10, 2018, 03:59:14 pm »

Fire
nonzed Evolutions
Dogs
Sckitszo
HARDTOSHOOT seems a bit excessive for the smaller dogs. Doesn't that flag make smokers(MEDIUM) harder to hit with ranged weapons than squirrels(TINY)? Not only that, but small dogs aren't actually smaller than bigger breeds.

And speaking of things with that flag, giant rattlesnakes should probably be shrunk down a size since "three times as large" as a normal timber rattlesnake isn't exactly "roughly human sized" like "MEDIUM" seems to imply from all the other things that size.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5452 on: June 10, 2018, 04:13:38 pm »

"You're hungry! Eat something?"
Y: pause to eat (opens up the menu where you can choose what to eat) / N: don't eat and continue crafting / Q: Stop crafting

If you pick Y you just choose something and get dropped back into crafting automatically. The UI side of this doesn't seem super hard to implement.

The light source problem might be harder to solve, because there's lots of kinds of light source. If you're using a car headlight powered by a battery and the battery runs out, it'd be hard for the code to know that the solution to this is to go and turn the pedals on the generator or whatever. This would be easier to solve by just making you stop, and giving you a "partially crafted X".

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5453 on: June 11, 2018, 01:41:10 am »

I feel like a half made object would be easier to implement than that.
you'd have to do the same for light and other disruptions, with a half made object it doesn't matter. just pick it up and continue after you've dealt with whatever it is. hell go sleep then finish it if you wish, or craft for only x hours then continue it another day.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5454 on: June 11, 2018, 02:14:10 am »

Even for the food, maybe you have food on you, maybe you're feeding from that barrel of protein sludge in your car of whatever.

I think making a partially made object might be the easiest way: upon starting to craft, you immediately get a "partially built X (1/Y)" where Y is the total number of turn needed. Then you can craft on it in several sitting.

Although I'm not sure how you'd implement that for say, car parts that take long to install.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5455 on: June 11, 2018, 03:31:07 am »

Maybe "phase" system would be better than raw turns required. Basically, have Y in your function tick whenever you finish a phase which can be any number of turns long, and if you're interrupted, you lose progress down to the last competed phase. After all, if you're cooking and you let your water cool, you'll need to reboil it before you can continue, same with forging and letting your metal cool down. The downside of this would be the amount of work required to put this sort of system in every recipe, whereas the raw turns number system would be a blanket solution.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5456 on: June 11, 2018, 03:36:22 am »

It'd be interesting to look at how exactly the "resume crafting" is implemented at the moment.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5457 on: June 11, 2018, 01:09:22 pm »

Make sure that the partially crafted object inherits any decay timer from the finished project, so you can't have a whole stack of "partially crafted cheeseburger 9/10" that will last till the end of time. :P

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5458 on: June 12, 2018, 07:06:08 am »

Make sure that the partially crafted object inherits any decay timer from the finished project, so you can't have a whole stack of "partially crafted cheeseburger 9/10" that will last till the end of time. :P

The McDonald's do.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5459 on: June 16, 2018, 05:41:18 am »

So instead of fixing the awful mess that is lighting interruption bullshit, everyone on github is busy bitching at each other over two idiots pushing arbitrary nerfs to spears.

The entire discussion had been basically almost every contributor thoroughly dismantling the PR author's only stated logic for this change. Coolthulhu has already weighed in on the discourse thread that this is a bad idea but he NEEDS to actually come out and say it openly on the PR page. Likewise...a large chunk of commenters are against it.

Kevin being one of the few people supporting this change does not surprise me in the least.

From http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=10444.msg244402#msg244402:
The project isn't a democracy, no number of "me too"s or votes is going to change something we've decided on, however we listen to peoples opinions and arguments for or against things. A good reason to make a change has more impact than any number of votes.

Reminder that Kevin has become the driving force behind a change making it into the game despite SEVERAL good reasons being proposed as to why it shouldn't be done, along with a long list of sensible alternatives.

To quote Coolthulhu:
Nerfing things by making them break faster is a great way to annoy the players without actually balancing much.

Damage nerfs, speed nerfs, crafting difficulty - all fine for balancing an early weapon.
Durability of a fast-crafted item made entirely from common ingredients - achieves nothing except annoyance.

If actual, meaningful nerfs can’t address the problem, the problem doesn’t exist.

Fab 2 wouldn’t change anything, it’s trivial to get. I was thinking more like making it require an actual knife (or at least scissors/screwdriver) as opposed to a piece of generic scrap hammered (with a rock) into a rough spike.
As long as you can mass-craft the spears, changes to fragility are just placebo - really annoying placebo.

I'm going to be blunt: Kevin has his head up his own ass, and refuses to listen to the voices of reason.

I already predict that if Kevin actually makes a response to this, it's going to basically be "you're the one with your head up your ass" or some accusation of hypocrisy that is itself hypocritical. Because "no you" is the height of response to criticism.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 362 363 [364] 365 366 ... 451