Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 826594 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #4605 on: May 29, 2017, 04:26:42 pm »

this is a turn based game.  you, quite literally, have all the time you need to read, digest, and respond to the hud.  you have ZERO excuse for not.

In before real time mode becomes default.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: May 29, 2017, 04:31:16 pm »

they have that new option to force turn progressions

:o

but seriously, anyone want a mod to blacklist tankdrone?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: May 29, 2017, 04:44:02 pm »

they are actually underpowered from what a functional full sized automated tank would be.

not even infrared vision?  no real speed?  can be run over? single tile?

How big is "full-sized"? I imagine the tank bot to be something like an automated Black Knight UGCV. PRE-EDIT, turns out the BK is being designed to be at least partially automated.

It's about 5 meters long and half as wide. Not sure on how large a game tile is, but there's also smaller UGVs. Granted, none of them carry a 120mm gun...

I don't actually have a problem with tankbots. This game is actually pretty fair with the YASD bullshit compared to other games.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: May 29, 2017, 04:47:47 pm »

'huge' is defined by thr comments in the c++ as 'tank-sized'.  large is 'cow or suv sized'.

i think size is roughly based on d&d sizing.

tiny is fist-sized
small is dog sized
medium is people sized
large is suv sized
huge is tank sized

so a 'huge' sized tank drone is larger than a horse or suv.  but, as typical with grid games, size and distance are fairly vague and relative.
and all hardcoded size calculations and figure for things like innate dodge bonuses and robot death explosions are about in line with that
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 04:49:33 pm by pisskop »
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: May 29, 2017, 04:49:54 pm »

Well, roads in the US typically have lanes 12ft across, and roads in CDDA have lanes of 8 tiles, based on that tiles are something along the lines of 1.5ft squared.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: May 29, 2017, 05:05:56 pm »

It's kinda like DF though, just like how we know a full 7/7 tile of water will hydrate a certain number of humans over a certain amount of time.  With that information we can find the volume of a tile.

But in DF that's moot no matter how many calculations you do, because a tile can hold an infinite volume of creatures as long as only one is standing.  In cataclysm a tile can also be calculated yes.  In cataclysm we can calculate the tile size with the width of a standard lane of a road, but no matter how many calculations you do it takes a survivor much longer to traverse that distance than they should.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: May 29, 2017, 05:53:01 pm »

Is there any chance we'll eventually get multi-tile enemies, or maybe enemy vehicles?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: May 29, 2017, 09:15:30 pm »

Last I heard (I only follow the github in fits and starts) we'll get multi tile enemies and npc vehicle AI just as soon as someone decides to code it.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: May 30, 2017, 01:01:59 am »

the xotto tile mod makes enemy sprites look bigger than one tile iirc. but its only a visual effect.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: May 30, 2017, 02:24:24 am »

Isn't there still that big list of every critter that's in sight of you? The only time I could see a tank drone "sneaking" up on someone is either turning a corner into one, or running around at night with a flashlight on, making yourself a beacon. Although I could see flashlights getting a special flag, does not illuminate own square, because you hold it in front of you. Would still light up the square around you, but at night, all you see of a flashlight wielder is the bright spot, which I dont know if that would set off a tank drone or not.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: May 30, 2017, 02:37:24 am »

Isn't there still that big list of every critter that's in sight of you? The only time I could see a tank drone "sneaking" up on someone is either turning a corner into one, or running around at night with a flashlight on, making yourself a beacon. Although I could see flashlights getting a special flag, does not illuminate own square, because you hold it in front of you. Would still light up the square around you, but at night, all you see of a flashlight wielder is the bright spot, which I dont know if that would set off a tank drone or not.

Last time I played they could literally kill you from the border of the active zone, way out of range of the characters sight and thus not on the list.
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: May 30, 2017, 05:09:46 am »

When you use a flashlight or the lanterns that just light up a few squares, you get a "lit up" status effect. I think it makes local monsters lock on to you, and I think it lasts a couple of turns after you turn off the light source.

You also get the lit up status when you smoke a cigerette or a joint.
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: May 30, 2017, 08:36:20 am »

yup

use it to bait zeds into traps
PKs DF Mod!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: May 30, 2017, 10:11:31 am »

I think most monsters would be able to figure out that the bright light probably belongs to a tasty living creature of some kind. MAYBE zombies would be too dumb to know that, but it's plausible that they'd just be attracted to the shiny. Military robots like the tank drone would probably be programmed to find flashlights in the dark

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #4619 on: May 30, 2017, 11:54:19 am »

I think that turning tank drones into a 2x2 or 3x3 enemy vehicle that suffers from collision and maneuvering, as opposed to a tiny object that somehow mounts a 120mm gun and can squirm effortlessly through windowsills, would go a long way into making them more tolerable and respectable as threats.
As it is currently, the tank drone mounts a massive gun and can fit through your front door.
Heck, making it 3x3 would still make it smaller than most cars in the game.
Another problem though is that it's awfully difficult to use partial cover in this game, you're either visible or completely obstructed.
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 451