Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 825207 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #2565 on: November 11, 2015, 09:13:12 pm »

You want chem books. There are two that take you from 5 to 8.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: November 12, 2015, 10:05:28 am »

Thanks, but its all for naught.  A horde of zoms lined up at the mines, intent on denying me entrance.  I went to a toxic dump in the dark and stepped on a landmine.  The incendiary grenade I carried finished whatever the mine didn't

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: November 12, 2015, 10:27:05 am »

Well, atleast it wasent a random friendly NPC.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: November 13, 2015, 02:41:43 pm »

So Im doing burning building start, and In started in the trunk of a muscle car?

I promptely drive it into the nearest horde of zoms, destroy the headlights, and then blindly crash into another car.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 02:43:48 pm by pisskop »
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: November 13, 2015, 04:52:15 pm »

Well, atleast it wasent a random friendly NPC.

I experienced this for the first time last night. I normally turn the NPC's off because of nonsense like this but I wanted to play around with having my own faction. I'd got myself and my comrade equipped with chain mail armor and submachine guns, and the zombies didn't stand a chance. I wanted to recruit a second NPC, but I never made it over there. Dude lit himself on fire with a spraycan flamethrower, then a grenade he was carrying went up too. I was killed by sharpnel to the brain while I was running up to him to use a fire extinguisher.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: November 13, 2015, 08:19:05 pm »

It used to be possible to bash your way out, isn't that the case anymore?

Its still possible, its just been made a LOT harder, I think.

I just set fire to the first floor and escape at night when it's done so the turret wont see me. That's if I somehow don't end up finding a dozen fire extinguishers or various forms of liquid to temporarily put out the fire in a spot to go across and leave. Also, once you've confirmed that fire has made a hole in the wall, you can simply stay inside the lab until it starts raining and then go out till it gets put out. Another solution could be to turn on Z-levels. With those on the rest of the world isn't paused when you switch to another z-level and the fire would probably just consume the walls and let you safely escape.

Oh, if anyone actually plays with NPC's on, I need help confirming this bug https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/13956# If this happens to you too, post on that issue to have it looked at and fixed. NPC's are more interesting than they used to be and are now at a level where it is somewhat possible to play with them on.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 08:24:20 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: November 13, 2015, 09:22:56 pm »

NPCs are jerks.  They spawn around your home and hang out on your garbage can and steal your saddles and then crawl through a glassy pit and smash your windows to steal towels instead of automatic guns and their ammo.

Or they try to hold you up when you're installing a welding kit onto your truck and then you have to run them over.

Or they try to kill you with a lighter.
PKs DF Mod!

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
  • [START_BIOME:EARTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: November 13, 2015, 09:59:13 pm »

Dynamic NPCs will wreck your game; static NPCs however are just fine. It's relatively easy to convince them to follow you, then use them as meatshields--you can tell them not to pick up items, too.

Trading is however somewhat unbalanced right now, and you can easily obtain good weapons and armor simply by picking up torn clothes and trading them all to your starting NPC.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: November 14, 2015, 03:49:18 am »

Actually, while the NPC's are still jerks in general, keeping track of nearby ones and being proactive makes them very manageable. There's a new sort of "zone" system where you can set up areas where NPC's won't pick up/steal your things for one. I've been surviving 20 days with NPC's on and aside from some early mishaps, they've been perfectly manageable and a good source of training and help. They can help you craft batches of items or help build things faster. When you finally die you get some story telling you what their life turned into after your death and how they ended up. They've been fleshed out a fair bit more and can be very useful. There are currently plans to flesh out your faction too so we'll get even more out of them soon. I'm mostly just annoyed by the bug I mentioned. They rush over to you, asking your help with a quest and then proceed to run off. If you complete the quest and try to get near them they'll actively try to stay away from you, or at least they did with me.

TLDR: NPC's have been improved a fair bit and while still potentially dangerous, this has been balanced by them actually being fairly useful now and having more control over their actions. If you know what you're getting into and plan accordingly they can become a great source of help, entertainment, and !!FUN!!(no,seriously game, stop giving them flamethrowers >.>).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 04:07:09 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: November 14, 2015, 05:00:23 am »

It's a good thing the local museum happened to have samurai armor and an ancient greek helmet that perfectly fit an elementary schooler, or I would have been in trouble in the start. Granted this isn't exactly a standard elementary schooler.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: November 14, 2015, 05:15:21 am »

is there anything i can do to prevent myself from being overpowered in the late game? ive been thinking of disabling cbms or letting zombies have full night vision/double health with being slower or something, has anyone have any success?

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
  • [START_BIOME:EARTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: November 14, 2015, 05:36:31 am »

Zombie nightvision and more health, turn item spawns to 0.01 and zombie spawns... as high as you think you can take. While you're at it, might as well turn hordes on, too.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2577 on: November 14, 2015, 09:00:10 am »

Late game, while not going overboard short game?
Dropping item spawn rate greatly will at least make it much harder to get to end game power.
Same for disabling CBMs. They're extremely useful, but not a requirement.
Full night vision, combined with the dismal item spawn rate, will probably make it essentially impossible to raid at night for a long time. Without lucky finds, that might be forever.

I think Hordes with specials is the only option there that is legitimately a threat end game, while not making the early game simply much longer. Having to pick up what you can carry and dash away is easier when you have less stuff. Having to leave behind a bunch of stuff you haven't yet got the skill to use is also a smaller setback.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: November 14, 2015, 09:10:26 am »

I added groups of specials to spawn.  I see a lot of 3-5 shriekers, and suddenly 25 regular zoms, and packs of feral hunters are a death sentence to a careless early game character.

And then I see 6 spitters suddenly spitting at my new chatacter.   Spitters hurt no matter how awesome you are.

pedit: why not take less op traits, or more bads ones?  Instead of 12 strength and 12 perceptionm taking 1 in every skill should hamper you long term while makine early game easier for low-item worlds.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 09:12:23 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: November 14, 2015, 10:04:13 am »

While dealing with the flu, I found some not-rotten milk in a restaurant. Drank it, then immediately began vomiting it up.

(character does not have lactose intolerance, does have junkfood intolerance)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 451