Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 825902 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #2055 on: August 25, 2015, 11:21:14 pm »

Remember, heavy loads and arctic gear are not conducive to fighting in real life, either. Soldiers have the advantage of being well-trained and having well-built equipment that's designed to minimize the negative effects of their heavy loads, two things your character probably won't have access to. They also generally don't have to do much hand-to-hand combat.

Also, if you're still using the old single-digit encumbrance system, you might want to update to a later version. In a lot of cases, encumbrance is lower now than it was.
Nothing important here, move along.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: August 25, 2015, 11:22:02 pm »

Also, high dex/per characters with snake style laugh at encumbrance. Which also translates well to guns, which ALSO conveniently laugh at encumbrance.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2057 on: August 26, 2015, 07:39:39 am »

Best advice I have is to drop your pack before you start a fight.
If you're in a situation that you can't really drop it and pick it up afterwards, then you probably should be running, not fighting.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: August 26, 2015, 10:09:55 am »

Best advice I have is to drop your pack before you start a fight.
If you're in a situation that you can't really drop it and pick it up afterwards, then you probably should be running, not fighting.
Unless something changed rather recent, wouldn't that just mean that you drop everything in a stack on the ground and have to pick up every item separately afterwards?

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2059 on: August 26, 2015, 11:06:43 am »

I meant that you also drop items that would put you over your non-pack volume, but yes, in stable the items aren't tracked to a container.
Dropping the largest items first is preferable since the pickup system seems to base time passing on a per item basis, not weight/volume. Makes picking up faster/easier since that's less to pick up. (Perhaps it is, but the effect is insignificant.)

Just reinforces my stance that if you can't afford to pick them back up, you shouldn't be sticking around to fight.

E: As was mentioned earlier though, this precaution is mostly inapplicable once you get to the point that you're engaging with firearms only.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 11:08:22 am by n9103 »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: August 26, 2015, 11:40:03 am »

So it's as always then. Your stance is reasonable, but in my case i feel like it would be more of a bother to pick up all the loot again after every fight or so.
So a shopping cart and low encumberance until ones skills can compensate i would say.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: August 26, 2015, 11:53:18 am »

Alternately, avoid fighting altogether until you have a base to store your stuff set up. Most things won't actually aggro on you unless you get close to them. If you're unlucky enough to get stuck between a rock and a hard place, though, it might be a worthy idea to pick up some rocks and start chucking them, or just run.
Nothing important here, move along.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: August 26, 2015, 02:23:31 pm »

I meant that you also drop items that would put you over your non-pack volume, but yes, in stable the items aren't tracked to a container.
Dropping the largest items first is preferable since the pickup system seems to base time passing on a per item basis, not weight/volume. Makes picking up faster/easier since that's less to pick up. (Perhaps it is, but the effect is insignificant.)

Just reinforces my stance that if you can't afford to pick them back up, you shouldn't be sticking around to fight.

E: As was mentioned earlier though, this precaution is mostly inapplicable once you get to the point that you're engaging with firearms only.
Important note. If you drop a container (like say a backpack) then it will allow you to drop an amount of items equal to the volume at the same time for free. I don't think it applies to picking up, but it will let you drop your backpack and "everything in it" with just a single drop action instead of taking a minute or more.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: August 26, 2015, 03:58:22 pm »

Hey guys, can you give me some advice on how to deal with encumbrance? All of the good carrying clothing (backpacks, trechcoats, etc.) all have an encumbrance value of 2 or more which can severely cripple a character.

I'm absolutely clueless about how I'm supposed to carry a passable amount of stuff or stay warm without getting myself rendered useless in melee encounters.

Well for one, you just have to tank a bit of encumbrance. If you can stay below 3/30 torso encumbrance you're doing pretty good. Though its best to stay a bit lower early in the game when your melee skills are shit (investing a couple creation points into skills can help a lot).

For two, shopping carts. Shopping carts are love, shopping carts are life. Cars are also a acceptable alternative but require more setup.

For three, the survivor gear (starts being available around 5 tailoring and/or fabrication) has great encumbrance to carrying volume ratios along with excellent armor and good warmth.

Just using "fitted" items reduces encumbrance of each item by 1.  Craft a needle, make some thread, and grind till you can improve those clothes!  Not sure if the "strapped" items can be fitted, but a fitted trenchcoat is awesome.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: August 26, 2015, 07:26:26 pm »

Plate armor is worse than chainmail and ornamental plate armor and plated leather armor and.... pretty much everything that even vaguely looks like armor. This displeases me.

(Why is ornamental plate armor some of the best protection in the game when its not even meant to be worn and isn't classed as armor?)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 07:28:09 pm by Kaitol »

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: August 26, 2015, 07:38:12 pm »

Keep your eye out for the rarer low encumb storage items like dive bags and runner packs too.   Early days the basic hoodie+trenchcoat+cargo pants, fitted and reinforced, is about the standard.  Carry a backpack or a couple of shopping bags for hauling loot back, but be ready to drop them if fighting, especially something small/fast.

As your skills go up you can accept a bit more encumbrance, and as your tailoring/fabrication skill goes up you can make better items - drop leg pouches, tool belts, chest rigs, etc and then the survivor gear gives you more and more.  And as you find new storage gear, try out various combos to maximize storage vs encumb.

Or come over to the experimental versions, the layering penalties have been radically changed.  I have 146 storage with only 27 torso/16 leg encumbrance (equivalent to "2" and "1" in 0.C) and I haven't even crafted the survivor gear yet.  2 survivor running packs on top of that will only bring it up to 38 ("3") but I'll have 196 storage, and that's with a couple of canteens on the belt and a slung rifle.

Edit:  Oh yeah, and agree STRONGLY with the shopping cart - you will love the extra storage, there are wheelbarrows and luggage carts in various places too with even more storage, and when you get your mechanics skill up a bit you can modify them to really max it out (1000 storage shopping cart, basically).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 07:41:21 pm by gimlet »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: August 26, 2015, 09:01:45 pm »

Just don't drop items on soon to be acid tiles.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: August 26, 2015, 11:15:39 pm »

Yeah ideally drop early, somewhere kinda protected, and move in, or at least sideways.  But if it's loot or you, lose the loot.  Most of my deaths are from being too greedy - overencumbered with storage and caught in a fight, or trying to get loot too fast.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: August 27, 2015, 03:25:12 am »

I wish there was a way to mark your shopping cart from others. Visually, I can recongize my shopping carts from other. But the game repsent all shopping carts the same.

I've lost one or two and almost lost a few more, by having to let go of them and fight or let go fo them to explore then fight. And fighting can lead you away from where you were.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: August 27, 2015, 05:27:31 am »

I wish there was a way to mark your shopping cart from others. Visually, I can recongize my shopping carts from other. But the game repsent all shopping carts the same.

I've lost one or two and almost lost a few more, by having to let go of them and fight or let go fo them to explore then fight. And fighting can lead you away from where you were.

I can't understand that situation. You can visually recognize your cart, but you keep losing it? You're losing it among other carts, or amidst terrain, or what?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 451