Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 825993 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!
« Reply #1950 on: August 12, 2015, 08:11:04 pm »

The Z levels option does not work very well, IMO, but the multilevel buildings one works great.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: August 13, 2015, 04:28:02 pm »

Hordes are weird. I'm not sure if they have an incredibly long hearing range or will just follow me to the ends of the earth, but I swear there wasn't a city for at least six or seven tiles in every direction when I stopped my armored car near a bunker. To my north was a mansion, also a good six or seven tiles out. I woke up on the fourth or fifth day of reading the dozen books I stole out of the rich man's house when I noticed that my general area was covered in Zs. I decided to Mad Max my way out and grabbed my funnel and water bottles and jumped on board. While starting the car, a zombie brute decided it wanted to hitch a ride, too. I was slapped so hard from behind that I flew through the reinforced windshield, then it got run over despite sitting in the driver's seat. I jumped back in and drove for a while before hitting a mine field and losing my third wheel. I decided that I should start a new world with no hordes after that. :P

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: August 13, 2015, 04:32:19 pm »

Yeah, hordes are not exactly that well done right now. :-\ (Though it is something we are working on).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: August 13, 2015, 10:22:52 pm »

I was watching someone play through "Stubbs the Zombie" a day ago and was thinking whether a system for controlling the zombies in cataclysm could be introduced. Only the tallest of orders here folks.

Anyway,
It could be various levels of mutations or implants. Level 1 gives you basic control, and doesn't always work, over the plain zombies. Level 2 gives you better control over plain zombies and slight control over some special types. So on until you can control all types or possibly it reaches a point where you can control plain ones perfectly but brutes and such are still hit and miss.

Controlling, as in Stubbs, would be more like suggestions. You push them in the right direction or can whistle to call them over but they hunt down your enemies automatically.

The system would be a bit more enjoyable if Cataclysm had more NPCs, unless it does now. I admit it's been a while since I've played. Though fights against fungoid patches and so on could be fun.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: August 14, 2015, 12:04:16 am »

... There is a necromancy mod that I THINK does just that, I never used it myself.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: August 14, 2015, 11:27:36 am »

How do you use mounted guns? I'm using the military vehicles mod and keep finding tanks or HMMVs, but I can't figure out how to use the MGs mounted on them.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: August 14, 2015, 11:47:25 am »

To fire manually, stand in the tile with no weapon wielded, make sure it has ammo listed (20/40 say) or if it's 0/40 (d)rop some of the correct ammo in the tile, you should get a "You put your .223 Remington in the M249" or whatever.  Then just (f)ire, you should be firing the vehicle gun.

To fire automatically #1 *don't*, I think it can still shoot you or parts of the vehicle as it tries to aim at targets, even though it will *try* not to shoot you.  Also I think I heard the prebuilt vehicles turrets might not work?  So if this doesn't work try removing then reinstalling the turret.  Anyway, from the vehicle control menu make sure the turret is online through "x Configure Turrets" 1 is 1 shot, B burst m manual 1 shot M manual burst.  Then set t Enable Turrets.   Then they should fire automatically.  REALLY recommend not doing this for grenade launchers.

To fire manually through the vehicle control menu, configure turret to m or M, then w to "aim turrets manually".

This is in a recent experimental, dunno if/how it works in the stable.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: August 14, 2015, 11:56:09 am »

Dropping my weapon and using "fire" worked. Thanks. Now I just need to bolt new controls onto the self-propelled howitzer and I can flatten towns with impunity.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: August 16, 2015, 01:34:25 pm »

do instruments do anything in the game or is it just background?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: August 16, 2015, 01:43:36 pm »

They make you happy. And noise. Much noise.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: August 16, 2015, 02:46:02 pm »

In short, they're Fun. In all meanings of the word.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

blazing glory

« Reply #1961 on: August 16, 2015, 07:07:37 pm »

Running around taking on Mil-spec turrets, got shot up twice and decided I wasn't ready for them, ate a ton of painkillers and died of drug overdose a little while later.

Don't do drugs kids, or at least be aware of how many drugs you're doing.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: August 16, 2015, 09:23:02 pm »

Was bicycling up the road a ways from the town I was living in. Finally found a decent source of freshwater, and also a 2 story motel right next to it. Very few zeds ( a brute, couple mundanes and toughies) but also a corrosive. Unfortunately, I didn't handle the situation well and the brute and corrosive guy cornered me. While I was killing the brute I couldn't get out of the acid and broke my legs.

Welp.

I crawled up the motel stairs and laid out my rollmat, dropped unnecessary stuff and broke apart furniture until I had the materials necessary to craft myself a splint. However, I needed at least two long strings. Making those required thread and foolishly enough the only easy thread in reach was the kind I laboriously made myself by disassembling rags. So that took quite a while and I got hungry and thirsty. Fortunately, there were a couple vending machines with a weeks worth of hydration in them. Unfortunately, there was nary a bag of potato chips to be found and man is not sustained on vitamins alone. Fortunately, there was a swamp teeming with wildlife and forageables nearby. Unfortunately, there was a swamp teeming with giant mutated aggressive wildlife nearby. I opted for crawling out there after dark so as to avoid notice. This worked well and I found several eggs and berries (can't eat vegetables, worse luck!) but, as I was crawling along in the pitch dark, apparently I accidentally crawled over a beaver lodge or something, because I startled the bejeezus out of a beaver who proceeded to claw at my face.

So there I am, both my legs broken, crawling along on my belly, pulling myself along with my arms, in a miserable bog, soaking wet at two in the morning being viciously savaged by a beaver.

I love this game.

I boiled and ate the beaver's stomach.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: August 17, 2015, 01:05:37 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This sounds so much like my childhood.

Any chance for some sort of fast travel through roads you've already cleared? Any potential hazard would naturally snap you out of it. 

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: August 17, 2015, 02:31:41 am »

Make yourself a wheelchair!  Then you can at least get some speed - if you keep it light you can even outrun most things.   IIRC it uses one bicycle wheel as the "wheels" and you'd need to craft handrims as the "engine".   Seat, controls, and you're off to the races!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 02:33:16 am by gimlet »
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 451