Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Draconic Creatures Mod: Taking Community Suggestions  (Read 8763 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
Draconic Creatures Mod: Taking Community Suggestions
« on: March 07, 2015, 10:33:40 am »

Draconic Creatures Mod

In standard dwarf fortress, dragons are a late-game challenge for your fortress.  Assuming they survive world generation, dragons will sometimes visit a wealthy enough fortress to attack, usually only to get slaughtered by the residents or captured and made into pets?  But what if things were different?

What if dragon-like creatures stalked the land you live in, in a variety of shapes and sizes?  What if no fortress was safe from these creatures, even in the earliest stages?  How would the dynamiccs change then?

With all the dramatism over, this is basically my idea.  A mod that adds many new types of draconic creatures to the game, not only as megabeasts but also as standard creatures that roam the lands.  Suggestions are welcome, as I only have a few ideas so far.  It could be a small project, but I'd like to expand it further.  I particularly welcome suggestions from mythology of dragon-like creatures.  Oh, and if someone has already beaten me to creating a mod like this in DF2014, please tell me, I tried not to infringe too much on Zanzet's territory in my planning.

The release thread for this mod can be found here.

Currently Planned Features:
Modifications:
  • Vanilla dragons are given wings and the flying tag. Completed
New Creatures:
  • Wyvern: Dragon-like creatures that inhabit the mountain ranges of the world.  Highly aggressive, they are smaller than dragons and lack their larger cousin's fire breath but come in groups, making them a tough challenge for a beginning fortress. Completed
  • Landwyrm: Enormous, wingless dragons that lack the ability to breathe fire, landwyrms can be found deep in savage wilderness.  Their rage is known to shake the earth. Completed
  • Forest Drake: Smaller than wyverns, these arboreal creatures pack a nasty poisonous bite, but generally remain peaceful when unattacked.  Their strength makes them prized pets of the elves. Completed
  • Ice Drake: Inhabiting the wastelands of the world, ice drakes are the top predator in their environments.
  • Pseudodragon: Cat-sized dragons known for stealing that which is left unattended. Completed
  • Drakeling: Small drakes with razor-sharp teeth, familiar guard animals amongst most civilizations. Completed
  • Grave Drake: Evil, two-headed dragons that live in evil regions of the world.  Beware their poisonous breath
  • Tarasque: A dragon-like creature resembling an ankylosaur, megabeast level difficulty.
New Metals:
  • Dragonsteel: Forged from the scales of draconic creatures, dragonsteel has all of the properties of regular steel but makes a sharper edge, making it a prized material for crafting edged weapons.
Possible Future Additions:
  • Gargouille: A dragon-like creature that spouts water instead of fire, causing flooding.
Other:
  • Make all draconic creatures drop dragonscales on butcher, which can then be used to make dragonsteel.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 02:17:00 pm by 4maskwolf »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Draconic Creatures Mod: Taking Community Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 12:18:24 pm »

Maybe Pseduodragons? As in cat-sized dragons that can be used as pets or a minor threat?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 12:19:45 pm »

Maybe Pseduodragons? As in cat-sized dragons that can be used as pets or a minor threat?
I'll probably give them curiousbeast_item to make them steal crap from you, thanks for the suggestion!

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 12:37:53 pm »

How about a dragon vermin, that breeds like crazy, and has a poisonous bite, or instead of poison give them a pet tag and let them be trained for war.
p.s. If you couldn't tell I want an army of fist sized dragons to slaughter my foes with. muwhaha

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 01:05:30 pm »

How about a dragon vermin, that breeds like crazy, and has a poisonous bite, or instead of poison give them a pet tag and let them be trained for war.
p.s. If you couldn't tell I want an army of fist sized dragons to slaughter my foes with. muwhaha
Hmm... I'll see what I can do.  Maybe... Okay, I'll do that.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 02:14:32 pm »

well I know the landwyrms work as intended... one went apeshit on my dwarves and slaughtered four of the starting seven as well as both dogs.  The wyverns just hung out, but flying creatures generally aren't agressive anyway.  I may give them prone-to-rage just to make them do something.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 02:32:08 pm »

Also what about a dragon that sucks blood.
what happened there, did you realize how awesome fist sized dragons are.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 03:01:05 pm »

Also what about a dragon that sucks blood.
what happened there, did you realize how awesome fist sized dragons are.
About the first one: I'll consider it, maybe in the future.

They aren't fist-sized, but they are a third of the size of a dwarf, which is pretty small.  To simulate their teeth being needle-sharp I halved the contact area and increased the penetration by 50% on their bite attack.  I also made their bite attack be primary over their claws, meaning that they will be happily chomping away at whatever they happen to be fighting.  I'm imagining them like little dragon-like dinosaurs, actually, since they don't have wings and use the biped template.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 03:03:31 pm by 4maskwolf »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 03:18:53 pm »

Why do you have a separate release and suggestion thread?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 03:21:31 pm »

Why do you have a separate release and suggestion thread?
*shrugs* It's something I always do.  Less clutter for me to deal with in the release thread.

Just to make sure, you haven't already done something similar, have you?  It didn't look like it from your draconic civ mod's description, but you never know...

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 03:30:33 pm »

*shrugs* It's something I always do.  Less clutter for me to deal with in the release thread.

Just to make sure, you haven't already done something similar, have you?  It didn't look like it from your draconic civ mod's description, but you never know...

The mods are similar, as their focus is dragons, but intrinsically different.  While yours adds in additional wild dragons, mine  has the dragons turned into a civilization.

Really need to get it updated to 40.24.  Might as well see if I can get pyLNP downloaded to construct the launch UI.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 06:10:25 pm »

Don't forget Shoulder Sized Dragons!  They can be trainable vermin hunters, like falcons.  Maybe cat-sized.

Multi-headed dragons would be a nice addition, as well.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 06:55:44 pm »

I think he already has that in the form of the pseudodragon.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 06:57:06 pm »

This, although I suppose I could create a multi-headed dragon.  I'll need to read up on how that's done lolz...

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 07:02:28 pm »

This, although I suppose I could create a multi-headed dragon.  I'll need to read up on how that's done lolz...

Look up the hydra, then find the body part it has to represent the seven heads in the body file.
Pages: [1] 2 3