Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: [FATE] Dept. of ME - A Fallen London/Sunless Sea campaign OOC  (Read 30263 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

IC Thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=149604.0
Myth-weaver game link: http://www.myth-weavers.com/game.php?&g=22681
Quote from: #deptmenace IRC
Link: http://mibbit.com/?channel=%23deptmenace&server=irc.darkmyst.org
Server: irc.darkmyst.org
Port: 6667, preferably
Channel: #deptmenace

I'm planning to run a PLAY-BY-POST RPG using the FATE RPG system set in Fallen London, a fictional version of London based on a browser-based game of the same name.

Quote from: Fallen London's Wikipedia page
The titular bazaar of the game is occasionally spoken of as though it were a sentient being. It is controlled by several masters, each with their own control over Fallen London's business (Mister Apples, for instance, controlling agriculture, while Mister Fires rules industry). The monarch of the city, Her Enduring Majesty the Traitor Empress, sold the city to the bazaar to spare the life of her husband Albert, Prince Consort in 1861. The entire city was then taken a mile beneath the surface by a swarm of bats, where it has remained for nearly thirty years.

London is only the latest, fifth city to be taken underground in a pattern stretching across thousands of years, although certain storylines show that it has not lost contact with the outside world. Surrounding Fallen London is the Unterzee, a subterranean ocean with many islets and infested with monstrous sea life; experienced players may sail across it to visit other locations in connection with story lines based in Fallen London. Among these is Polythreme, a country where inanimate objects become alive and sentient (and source of the Clay Men, the golems used as cheap labor in London), the Iron Republic, a devil-ruled place in which even reality is subject to the capricious and constantly changing written laws, and the Khanate, a rival nation to Fallen London made up of the descendents of the fourth city that was taken.

Fallen London has also found itself much closer to Hell: devils appear constantly and casually in various storylines, and even maintain an embassy in the city itself. A dream-realm, Parabola, seems closer to London than to surface locations, and is sometimes visible through mirrors.

Premise

Miles below the Earth, deep under the sea, there lies the Neath, a cavern housing the vast ocean known as the Unterzee. The sunless sea is host to the Elder Continent where all life originated and lived in isolation from the Surface.

That is, until one fateful day in 1861 when London was stolen by bats and dragged down below to house the Echo Bazaar. Thus Fallen London became the Fifth City of the Bazaar, and the greatest trade city in the Unterzee.

Riches, intrigue, mystery, and many-headed diseased walruses flock to this city as many factions vied for their own ends. Behind it all, the Masters of the Bazaar governed trade and grew rich. Up above, the Surface send down spies to gather resources for their Great Game as they attempt to outmaneuver  their opponent nations. Throughout the Sunless Sea, nations like Polythreme and the Far Khanate brooded.

Whether you are one of the citizen of Fallen London, a denizen of the Neath, or a Surface-dweller who had came down to seek fortune, you have accepted a contract with the Department of Menace Eradication. A run down, desperate Department in the handsome building that echoed of its glory day. A department dedicated to protecting Fallen London from pests, and far more worse things.

Just how hard could it be to hunt intelligent rats, eye-stealing spiders, children, and pirates?

Conditions of Employment

The Conditions Below Have Been Agreed to, freely and under neither duress, force, and other forms of coercion or threat to life, limbs, and immortal soul. Where applicable, this contract supercede any prior agreement with the individual in question and the Department of Menace Eradication.

I, the owner of the signature and drop of vital essence, agree to receiving the benefits of three business months of first decision on commission works issued to the Department of Menace Eradication [hereafter referred to as the Department], as well as assigned lodgings and other hospitality detailed in later sections. In exchange for this, the Department reserves the right of control over my reward as they see fit, as agreed before undertaking each commissions.

I am free to take commissions from other Parties, however, using the Department's resource without prior consent of the management is a violation of my contract, and I will be fined depending on the magnitude of costs incurred, starting from 20 Echoes

The Department will not be held responsible for my incarceration, death -final or otherwise, loss of sanity, and exile. I will not expect recompensation for any issues with the Law for attempting to carry out contracts which are Of Vague Legal Status But Most Surely Not Illegal.

Memory of this contract is not to be sold, copied, used as ingredient of a beverage, or otherwise given to other entities for consumption or possession.

Possession of this contract gives me the privileges and duties of an Eradication Officer.

[Other legalities]

Signed, [You]

So, how do I join?

For now, just tell me you are interested and go to http://www.faterpg.com/resources/ and download a Fate core book and look through it, then make a character sheet on Myth-weaver.

You will have to register, but it shouldn't be much of a problem.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetindex.php

You'll be assumed to have normal clothes and no equipment. The Department will get you sorted on those once you arrive fully to London. You can discuss with me if you want your character to have something with them.

Possible players

Tell me if I have mistakenly put you in when you are not playing, or the opposite.

• Gamedragon
  • Tack
  • kj1225
  • Tiruin
  • AlleeCat
  • Sergius
  • flameboy99

Lore and general World guide

Here are the fluffs I have written, which are mostly made up by me and not actually canon. It's not all-encompassing but it should let you make a coherent backstory.

Races
Languages
Factions

Also here is an AQ for possible questions.

Q. What's an Echo?
A. The Bazaar's currency. It's not exactly a universal currency, as you will find that London is a multicultural city and use many things as a unit of payment, including but not limited to wine, secrets, warm ambers, jade, and other things. Most of the time, you will find that Echoes are used as an intermediary currency between them.

Q. What is the Bazaar?
A. It's a marketplace.

Q. Can I use magic spells?
A. Short answer, no. Long answer, there are magic of some sort that you can use, but don't expect them to be utilities spells that you can regularly invoke for mundane things. They're usually more powerful and precious and come in the form of an Elder God's true name, a lost language, and such.

Q. Can I play a denizen of the Neath? (Tomb-colonists, Rubbery Men, etc.)
A. Yeah, sure. However, you shouldn't do that if you haven't played Fallen London or Sunless Sea before. Expect these races to be difficult, so you have your roleplay work cut out for you. Yes, you need to roleplay. I am not fine with a devil who constantly try to rape and murder everything.

Spoiler: Original OP (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 05:02:09 pm by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I might be interested.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile

Depending on the system you use, I might be interested. Play by post or IRC?
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

I'm thinking of going with IRC, but it depends on the range of timezones we get.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile

Alright, well, I'm PST. I can play on Wednesdays, Fridays, or Sundays.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What is IRC? Taking a wild guess, I don't think I can make any commitments like that right now. Sorry.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

It still depend on how many people I get here. If I can't get enough I might go look for players outside Bay12forum, so it won't be play by post.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right. However, I meant 'What does IRC stand for' rather than 'What will we use for IRC gaming'. :)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

I have no idea how to explain IRC without unintentionally making it sound like a messaging service, but it's basically the progeny of those. Minus registration. You can just go on Mibbit to connect to an IRC server.

Here is Bay12's unofficial Lower Boards IRC, for example. Most Bay12ers who go there kind of stop coming before they reach a critical time period where they become a regular.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile

I suppose I'd be interested. I'm EAST (or is it EADT?) though so if you go for IRC it may not work for me.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

I'm in +13 GMT, so I'm closer to your time than americans.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

Interested, posting to say 'ello.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

Game Link

Gamedragon - Betrayed Gang Member - Ulgurk
    Tack - Bandaged War Veteran - John McKillan
    kj1225 - Connected Irish Zailor - Connall Murphy
    Tiruin
    AlleeCat - Lady Tinker - Kaitlyn Smithee
    Sergius - Gentleman of Leisure - Sir Charles Groovington
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:07:26 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

Just thinkin about this, you could try this in GURPS
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

I'm not exactly up for insane amount of number-crunching, so I'm thinking more on going with FATE.

The Kerberos Club used FATE as its core system, and its feel is pretty similar to Fallen London.

Also unless it directly contradict something in the plot, you can use any of the canon stuffs.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22