Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Downloading to replace a lost game  (Read 966 times)

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
Downloading to replace a lost game
« on: March 06, 2015, 02:56:20 pm »

I got Might and Magic VI: mandate of heaven like almost 10 years ago. The game is from like 1998 or something. Now it won't work to let me reinstall it. I liked that game a whole lot, but now the stupid thing won't work. I think the disc is messed up or who knows. Is there some way I can get a replacement copy or download it or something? I already paid for it and don't want to again but I guess I will if I have to and if it's safe and lasts.

Edit: I can't find it on steam. I don't want the "Heros" game. I want this again http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Might_and_Magic_VI:_The_Mandate_of_Heaven

Edit Edit: Am I doing something wrong with my discs and crap? My star wars Episode II DVD is messed up too and I never watched it too much but the arena scene is all skippy. My parents have VHS tapes from the freaking 80s that still work. I'm sorry I know I'm complaining but yeah.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 03:01:51 pm by Robot Parade Leader »

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
Re: Downloading to replace a lost game
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 03:10:55 pm »

If you only have a disc, then it's probably going to be really difficult to get a replacement, especially given how old the game is. I know that GoG has you covered if you want to buy it and all five preceding games at once, and it's pretty much guaranteed to work. Does it last? Well, it's DRM free, so as long as you keep the installer around, you should be good to go. GoG is probably not going to shut down any time soon, given how well they're doing, so honestly it's just a question of whether you want to spend the money.

Addendum: Also CDs get scratched super easily if you're not careful, and slightly less easily if you ARE careful. I've heard that you can fix minor scratches by rubbing toothpaste over the shiny side of it (the side WITHOUT a cover), but just make sure that it's COMPLETELY dry before putting it back in. Also, i take no responsibility if this destroys everything, so tread carefully. Also note that if the metallic cover on the CD is perforated, then that data is lost for good.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 03:14:40 pm by Shook »
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 03:14:17 pm »

Eh, I'll pay for it if I have to but it always feels crappy paying for it, again....... Plus it's a really old game so will it even work on my windows 7 computer without an adapter program even if I DO buy it from these GoG people? (I had to run compatibility mode with windows 95 to do it before).

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 03:15:40 pm »

Yes, it will work. GoG pretty much specializes in getting old games up and running for modern computers, and i can confirm that oldies like Descent and HoMM1 work beautifully.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 04:00:34 pm »

I think the disc is messed up or who knows.

Is the problem with disc 2? I remember there being some sort of problem that started around windows versions xp or vista or so. Game installs ok, but then when you try to play it asks for disc 2 and when you insert it, it just keeps asking for it over and over? There was a specific fix for that...not finding it with a casual google search. I do find the grayface patch, but not the "make it the game actually work" patch.

Not in a position to do so at the moment, but I'll take a look tonight it see if I have a copy of the fix somewhere.

Am I doing something wrong with my discs and crap?

There was a period of time during I think the 90s when a number of CD manufacturers were using bio-degradable components. CDs from that era tend to go bad after a number of years even if you treat them gently. If I remember correctly, it was the ones with the green tint on the write side.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 02:29:11 am »

I'll take a look tonight it see if I have a copy of the fix somewhere.

Found it, and from the file name and size, it appears that the fix I was thinking of is simply the version 1.2 update I see elsewhere on the web, for example here. If you want my copy I'll upload it somewhere, but I suspect it's the same file others are providing.

Try that, and try the grayface patch. See if either of them take care of the problem.