Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cant seem to figure out how to gain renown or finish quests...  (Read 7320 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Cant seem to figure out how to gain renown or finish quests...
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 10:51:01 pm »

here's a guide drawn out with the jist of how it works.

Ha ha , excellent :D

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 11:07:06 pm »

But to bind you need Df hack? ... I cant get that program to work for some reason, i installed it and the game wouldnt even start it just crashed every time... plus sounds kinda cheaty if you can just add anyone to your party reguardless of background.

But telling companions to wait and than tricking people to join you by pretending your party is small sounds simple enough...

Can you still gain level and get stronger? I feel like every battle i am barely scraping by XD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 07:53:25 am »

Oh yeah, the sky is the limit compared to where you start.

Peasant = "oh crap I think that kitten looks angry, better run, ugh, wheeze, well shit I'm too tired..." *the kitten pushes your brain through your skull, you have been struck down*

Hero = "hah, I laugh at your feeble attacks, mr. peasantslayer kitten, oh god is that a wolf, blargh i am ded"

Demigod = "hah, wolf? ridiculous, oh god is that a pack of giant dingoes?"

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 01:12:17 pm »

I just told my followers to wait and asked a guy to join and he STILL said my band is too large...

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 01:20:11 pm »

But to bind you need Df hack? ... I cant get that program to work for some reason, i installed it and the game wouldnt even start it just crashed every time... plus sounds kinda cheaty if you can just add anyone to your party reguardless of background.

But telling companions to wait and than tricking people to join you by pretending your party is small sounds simple enough...

Can you still gain level and get stronger? I feel like every battle i am barely scraping by XD
To be fair invoke bonds is something you can do in the game normally with a demon, but you need to hunt down a vault and find a slab to do that, then hunt down said demon that the slab talks about and the whole thing is dealing with near legendary enemies that hold items that can one shot you.
invoke isn't even a instawin button since you need to be a bit far away to do this on hostile enemies or they will straight up punch you in the mouth stopping you from banishing them or bonding them to your will.

Oh and dfhack only works on a certain type of DF and all requires is to dump the folders into the main game folder(and not the subfolders holding Raw or data just where the DF.EXE is placed) also make sure to back up your SDL file so that you don't end up losing it because Dfhack comes with it's own custom SDL file that it needs to work.
even then invoke.lua doesn't come with DFhack since it's a custom script I made and posted in the forum.
to sum it up it's complicated.  I don't know if the Newb pack has an updated Dfhack for DizzyCrash can use.

I just told my followers to wait and asked a guy to join and he STILL said my band is too large...
you need to tell your followers to wait MILES AWAY from the guy you need to pick up like actrually leave them fast travel to the guy you want to recruit for this to work. if they are still on your screen or in your companion list then you're doing it wrong.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 01:22:20 pm by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 01:36:39 pm »

okay the thing about invoke script in dfhack. it's a super better version of the dfusion's make companion script. because Invoking someone to join you straight up kills their faction and reasoning for attacking you.
undead who hate your guts, invoke them and now their yours. bandit who's finally got the guts to run you through invoke them and their your bud. random angel in the middle of the air invoke and now you got a pet companion.

but yeah the good way to bypass the huge party comment is to make it seem like you don't have a huge party. if you go to your companions and tell them to wait it out in a site somewhere you can drop your companion party size so that the guy who rejected you in the first place will straight up agree to join you. you could even move said guy to your main party with no fuss since he already sign an agreement.

you don't need fame anymore.
also I notice good friends will agree to become your hearthsperson so uhh dump an adventurer at a fort and have them make friends so that when they want to be a lord of some site they can at least place some generals down.

I tried telling them to wait in the next town over and they just cought up with me when i went back to Scraphoisted to recruit people...

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 01:56:31 pm »

okay the thing about invoke script in dfhack. it's a super better version of the dfusion's make companion script. because Invoking someone to join you straight up kills their faction and reasoning for attacking you.
undead who hate your guts, invoke them and now their yours. bandit who's finally got the guts to run you through invoke them and their your bud. random angel in the middle of the air invoke and now you got a pet companion.

but yeah the good way to bypass the huge party comment is to make it seem like you don't have a huge party. if you go to your companions and tell them to wait it out in a site somewhere you can drop your companion party size so that the guy who rejected you in the first place will straight up agree to join you. you could even move said guy to your main party with no fuss since he already sign an agreement.

you don't need fame anymore.
also I notice good friends will agree to become your hearthsperson so uhh dump an adventurer at a fort and have them make friends so that when they want to be a lord of some site they can at least place some generals down.

I tried telling them to wait in the next town over and they just cought up with me when i went back to Scraphoisted to recruit people...
then that might be the case of the game making 2 copies of those characters. I notice this weird thing when I told a noble to wait in a camp and later found out he's in his keep also.
like it's this way or Finding a dark fortress and recruit kids, or necromancy if you want to break the recruit limit. I usually park them in the open area.
"body swapping and YOU!"

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 01:57:34 pm »

Woot! I did it!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 03:36:15 am »

Oh! Rummypops! I just remembered what I did recently, I mentioned how Mrs. McLegendary wasn't famous enough to recruit her husband so I bound him, when I switched back to him there was a bit of weirdness getting her to follow because she kept running randomly, I think having her bound minion moving freely freaks the npc ai out, so I bound her back to me and everything worked fine.

Then I retired him and swapped back to her to travel her back home... and things got a little weird.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 11:25:19 am »

Dialogue in Adventure mode often tends to get a little... weird.

Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2015, 05:25:58 pm »

I figured it out - nobody cared about me until I killed a giant and told someone. Then I became a legendary hero and everyone was astounded when I talked to them.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 05:37:55 pm »

Hilarious :D
(i hope Toady will give a closer look to adventure mode for his after-tavern release)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2015, 02:22:09 am »

I figured it out - nobody cared about me until I killed a giant and told someone. Then I became a legendary hero and everyone was astounded when I talked to them.
It goes further than just legendary hero apparently:

I haven't seen that before, but if I spend the time to sort through and include a few of the "slew many foes" as well as the dragon and cyclops and badger devil I get the legendary hero+killer response. I figure it's probably related to notable kills being over 1k, she's at 1300~ right now, last 1k+ adventurer I had I didn't bring up the "slew many foes" in convos so I never saw it with her.

Also, rescuing kids from a goblin camp and sharing no kills with the happy family gets you "you are legendary hero, you are also a pleasure to speak with" type responses.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2015, 07:23:42 am »

So to be a hero you just need to Save kids from goblins, murdering loads of people just makes you a famous murderer. There's no heroics in murder. Thanks Max for this study in Fame.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2015, 12:31:56 pm »

:D My pleasure, thanks for helping make it possible through your work in horrifying feats like squashing the personality of a dorf until they become little more than a silent weeping witness to all of the atrocities I force them to engage in!
Pages: 1 [2]