Advanced search  

Poll

Pick one.

Gobs
Elves
Dwarves?
???

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: The Planet of Dragons (Which really don't exist) - Handmade strangefort  (Read 17543 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: The Planet of Dragons (Which really don't exist) - Handmade strangefort
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2015, 12:51:10 am »

I've just gone through legends too, have to say: wow.  Starting at the dawn of time allows so much post world-gen action to happen, as wars begin and new civilizations are created.  Also makes legends mode sooo much easier to navigate since there's much less historical crap to sift through.

I've updated my above post with my findings regarding our three dwarven civilizations, but I agree - I fear the Brass Bells are fighting a losing battle here. 

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2015, 01:46:40 am »

Date: 20th Moonstone, year 5
Today I returned to Snarlgild after traversing the world that is Bay Forums. The first thing I noticed is the absolute lack of organized stockpiles. Stone in the hallways, gold near the depot.

On top of that, our officials don't even have their bedrooms finished. Looks like I won't be able to get stock of what we have until I queue up some chairs, table and other bedroom items.

Date: 26th Moonstone, year 5
While looking around the map I couldn't help but notice this.

Why is the volcano overflowing? I though you started draining it!?

Date: 2nd Opal, year 5

... Fires have started down below and dwarves are gettting dangerously close to to walking into the magma as it falls down.

Speak of the devil, Fath Asmelkithin, a herbalist was carrying some logs back into the fort when he happened to walk under wa lava fall.

I've gone and forbiden everything to the left of the map but the lava is starting to flow toward the right side as well. Your pump wouldn't have anything to do with this would it Bearskie?

Date: 3rd Opal, year 5

And dead. All right chaps? Who wants a hot hot bath? Step right up and take a bath for the low low price of free!

Date: 9th Moonstone, year 5

Augh! No one told me this was an active volcano!
I sure hope no one else is outside. I had to blockade the entrance lest the magma flow into the fort. Marble bridge and depot are gone now.

Meanwhile with all the commotion going on upstairs, the olm people are fighting a giant toad down below.

Date: 11th Moonstone, year 5

Bearskie, if your "Project" was to flood the island with magma, it worked. No need to worry about thralling clouds when there's magma on your doorstep!   

Date: 17th Moonstone, year 5

Also, putting notes on the levers would help.

Date: 25th Moonstone, year 5

Fps down to 35 from all the flowing lava.

Here's the flowing river of lava outside our doorstep.

Date: 9th of Obsidian, year 5

Hmm, when heinous vapor comes in contact with lava... Nothing happens.

Date: 15th of Obsidian, year 5

Here's what the map currently looks in stonesense from all four angles. Note, each image is around 5 megabytes and is massive.

Spoiler: One (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Two (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Three (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Four (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 03:08:00 am by xominxac »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2015, 02:57:48 am »

Why is the volcano overflowing?

I'm sorry but as soon as I read that I started laughing and still haven't stopped. Funniest journal entry I've read for ages ahahahahahah

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2015, 03:25:19 am »

Why is the volcano overflowing?

I'VE GOT NO IDEA XD.

I do have a theory that says that reclaiming does funny things to volcanoes - when I reclaimed Ringrider the volcano was partially empty and refilling.

Edit - and no, the plan to flood the island in magma was supposed to be the next project.

EditEdit- Check this out http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8263
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 03:34:54 am by Bearskie »

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2015, 03:37:32 am »

I do have a theory that says that reclaiming does funny things to volcanoes - when I reclaimed Ringrider the volcano was partially empty and refilling.

Know what my theory is? Your screw pump jump started the volcano. Now the volcano God is mad so he's flooding the entire island in lava.  :'(

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2015, 03:39:26 am »

You have to admit though, it's pretty awesome  ;D

Btw, seeing how fast you're progressing, I dont think I can take my turn next (busy), so cross me off the turn list.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 06:20:06 am by Bearskie »

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2015, 03:12:53 pm »

You have to admit though, it's pretty awesome  ;D

Btw, seeing how fast you're progressing, I don't think I can take my turn next (busy), so cross me off the turn list.

Sad to see you go. One thing is for sure though, you started this mess, and you'll clean it up hear me!?  :P

Just keep watching and reply if you get some free time in the future and want to continue.

Date: 24th of Obsidian, year 5

Same old with the lava, it keeps on flowing and so far it doesn't seem like its going to stop.
This is why I'm going to start a project of my own.
My trusty dwarf has taken up the job and is going to start by removing the wooden bridge thats connected to the caldera. My plan is to seal off the top of the volcano by first creating a lid, and then building walls around until the lava flows down only one side.

Date: 1st of Granite, year 6

We have a long road ahead of us. Project: "Stop all flows" has just begun and only a few blocks have been placed.

Date 19th of Granite, year 6

It seems to have become a normal thing for there to be lava flooding the land now. I still plan on putting a lid on that volcano but well see how long that will take.

Hmm, I wonder what thralled vegetables would taste like?

Date: 23rd of Granite, year 6

Food supplies are getting low. I'll risk a farm on one of the peaks that haven't been flooded. I'm also planning on trapping some of the Draltha's down below and tame them or butcher them, depending on whether hunger will strike first or not.

Date: 27th of Granite, year 6

Shoot. Of all the places for that one tile of magma to land, it had to land on Litast Kubukdumat. He was a lye maker but still, thats now two casualties from this overflowing caldera. With him dissapeard a copper pick. Shame that we lost the pick.

Date: 6th of Slate, year 6

Looks like Fath Asmelkithin came back as a ghost, better start making slabs.

Date: 6th of Felsite, year 6

Fps up to 37 at most but its still a bit anoying.

Date: 25th of Felsite, year 6

Outdoor farm is well on its way.

As you can see by the picture, I've cleaned up the area a bit, and made a few paths. The one to the left leads to the caves and also the the surface farm. The one to the right leads up to the caldera where I've been working on the project.

Date: 9th of Hematite, year 6

Hmm, I just noticed that Bearskie is married to Iton, our sheriff.

Date: 27th of Hematite, year 6

Some migrants have arrived, even after all that's happened. By some I mean 5. Their names are: Bomrek Avuzurdim (Furnace operator); married to Risen Morulenol(Mason), Limul Mogshumeshtan (Blacksmith); married to Erush Ledgemesh (Cook), along with their son Sodel Ormafol. They honestly didn't bring that much help.

Date: 11th of Malachite, year 6

More gold has been struck while diging a hole for a new well.

Date: 16th of Malachite, year 6

Tetrahedrite has been found in the same hole.

Date: 7th of Galena, year 6

Well now completed, a small surprise happens.

Looks like our newest migrant has a fey mood.

He's claimed the magma forge and the first thing he goes after are gold bars of course. Only one? Thats a shame.

Date: 12th of Galena, year 6

Well, it could have been better. Only worth 72,000. On it is an image of itself.

Date: 1st of Limestone, year 6

Autumn has come and the fps is still in the 20's to mid 30's. I will cap this cano!

Date: 9th of Limestone, year 6

Merchants from the mountainhome have bypassed our innaccessible site.

Date: 14th of Limestone, year 6

And of course a thralling cloud rolls right over them...

Of all times one had to come now.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:32:07 pm by xominxac »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2015, 11:27:41 pm »

Hey, sign me up for another go! This time I want to try my hand at running one of the already established forts.

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2015, 12:30:28 am »

Current save on first page.

Date: 15th of Limestone, year 6

Looks like I didn't get everyone into the burrow in time (or some refuse to go in and ignore it)

A dwarf by the name of kikrost zaludiden, (married to my dwarf) went out to pick up some of the things the deceased merchants dropped and is now being chased by thralls after the thralls have nearly killed each other. (The thralled dwarves ganged up on the thralled horse and killed it)

Turns out another dwarf comes to the rescue by being killed instead. As soon as the thrall maceman takes care of him he leaves the map.

Date: 11th of Sandstone, year 6

Yet more migrants.

1, 2, 3, wait wait. Is that what I think it is?

A thrall migrated to the fort? What sorcery is this!

I think its the previous macedwarf turned thrall.
Oh never mind, false alarm. The moment he was no longer a new migrant he started slaughtering the new migrants

Man those thralls are tough. He's killing everything with a cave spider silk glove through the head.

Date: 16th of Sandstone, year 6

Anyone want to guess where this one is going? Yep, you guessed it, into the bubbling caldera.

Date: 5th of Timber, year 6

Darn it! Working with lava around flows is dangerous. Onget Durnish just now went up in smoke.

Date: 6th of Moonstone, year 6

Ugh. It's taking much too long right now to do most anything with only around 25 fps. Some of the lava spurts travel 5 tiles above the rim of the volcano.

Date: 21st of Moonstone, year 6

Well, at least everything hasn't almost ground to a halt. The expedition leader Sakzul Akreldakost has given birth to a boy.

My turn ended shortly after that. It will be a pain to stop that volcano with the current fps but it is still possible.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 02:28:05 pm by xominxac »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2015, 05:13:17 pm »

My turn ended shortly after that. It will be a pain to stop that volcano with the current fps but it is still possible.

Can you describe that plan for me?

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2015, 05:45:20 pm »

Can you describe that plan for me?

Plan A. Create reservoir of water above volcano and fill it with water before crashing the whole thing down on top of the volcano to create an obsidian cap.

Pros: Low risk if built at least three levels above the caldera. Lava can shoot up to around 5 levels above the caldera but that does not happen all that often. Less likely hood of dwarves dying due to magma falling onto the space they're on.

Cons: Will take a massive amount of resources just for the platform itself and will also require a pumpstack to bring the water up from the caverns which in turn will again require a lot of resources and power to be built properly

Plan B:  Build a cap using dwarf power. Plan is to first lid with 1 space of air between lid and cano top, then build walls around strategic positions 1 tile away from cano to direct flood of lava where desired.

Pros: Less resources and time required.

Cons: Dwarves much more likely to die due to magma.

Plan C: Pray to the Gods to close of the volcano (cheat, cheat, cheat, wouldn't recommend, not dwarfy at all)
Use DFHack to place obsidian on top of cano and close it manually.

Pros: Simple, quick, easy.
Cons: You stinking cheater...

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2015, 11:00:56 pm »

Welp, good luck Salmeuk.  Enjoy the latest volcano eruption simulation fortress.

I'd like to take the next turn if it's okay :)

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2015, 02:50:44 pm »

If Salmeuk doesn't reply within the next 3 hours as to whether he started his turn or not the next turn will go to Bearskie (or a new person if a challenger approaches).

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2015, 05:27:08 pm »

Ah, yes, please pass my turn. I lost a few hours of gameplay to a crash and don't have any more time today.

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2015, 05:52:26 pm »

Ah, yes, please pass my turn. I lost a few hours of gameplay to a crash and don't have any more time today.

You're up then Bearskie!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6