- 21 (24.1%)
Other
- 14 (16.1%)
Both! It changes!
- 15 (17.2%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Voting closed: April 02, 2015, 10:16:30 pm

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: What color is the dress? [Poll]  (Read 7839 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: What color is the dress? [Poll]
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2015, 08:42:28 pm »

you see that xkcd picture right? Both of the drawn dresses are the same colour, so unless
you see them on both sides as the same, I consider my argument proven.

Regarding the xkcd explanation, while I acknowledge that phenomenon, I believe it may be insufficient in this case. I present two pieces of evidence:

1) http://i.imgur.com/Ktscov0.png

That is the image from the OP on the left, next to the image from the OP color inverted on the right. To those who see the dress on the left as white and gold, do you also see the color inverted dress as also white and gold? Does that not seem peculiar?

Okay, now that it's nighttime and I'm seeing the dress as blue and black again... the inverted one is blue and gold. That's odd. They were both white/gold in the daytime.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2015, 10:46:31 pm »

It looks bluish-white and gold.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2015, 12:45:03 am »

Ok, so now something I'm genuinely curious about. The expected result from the angling-the-screen test is that people who see white and gold will see the dress change to blue and black, and people who see blue and black will see no significant change. That is not the result we received.

Instead, we have two people who report no result from the viewing angle test:

Both images remain yellow to bluish white regardless of viewing angle.

2) nope. whatever effect you are looking for, I am not seeing it.

...and two people (myself included) who do see the colors change from white/gold to blue/black when the view angle test is performed:

*tilts laptop screen*

mind=blown

So, now the question:

Here is a youtube video of someone doing that same viewing angle test

Would everyone watch it and report whether your results and the same or different, whether you personally tilt your screen or watch the youtube video of somebody else doing it?

In particular the interesting results would be:

1) If anyone, regardless of their results when performing the test themselves, sees a different result when viewing the test performed by someone else.

2) If anyone who has never seen the white and gold sees it in the above video, at all.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2015, 02:46:51 am »

Okay, now I'm just getting weird results.

I can see the dress changing color on the video. I can also, through some additional testing, see the dress change color on my laptop screen, though I have to tilt the screen to the point where it's only barely visible.  I can however, not see the color change on my tablet, where the image remains it's normal usual self.

So, the polarization filter might have something to do with it.

Edit: Also not seeing the same colors on the video test as on my own computer. They start of the same, but the video goes black and blue, whereas my screen goes gray/white* (instead of black) and blackish instead of blue.

*but like, that typical overexposed look
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 02:52:48 am by 10ebbor10 »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2015, 02:59:29 am »

I'm pretty sure you're just getting into polarization effects on the display that have nothing to do with the picture now.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2015, 03:09:51 am »

I'm pretty sure you're just getting into polarization effects on the display that have nothing to do with the picture now.
Yeah, I suspected that. In fact, I'm quite certain that is the case.

So, in conclusion, it kind of works on the video, doesn't work IRL.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2015, 03:10:45 am »

When I look at the image, I see a version of the "Two faces VS the candlestick" optical illusion.  In the lower right corner of the image, the background looks like a very skinny white dress with a gold belt accent, and 3 asymetrical pocket/waistline buttons.  This is however, just the background and not actually a cartoonish woman with short brown hair in a white dress with a high collar.

The actual dress in the image, is blue and black, with poor color saturation and even worse lighting. The photographer did not properly account for exposure nor for light levels.

The dress is blue and black. (And IMHO, not even a very pretty dress.)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2015, 03:12:05 am »

I like how the most universally agreed-upon thing about this dress is its ugliness.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2015, 05:23:33 am »

So, in conclusion we all cannot judge what the colors of the dress are because we only have access to pictures and videos, which all are prone to introducing error due to color correction and stuff.

Also the black/yellow part looks to me like this fuzzy kinda reflective material (which is golden in direct light and quickly fades to black with greater angles). This would mean that just recoloring the background wouldn't help at all, as how light is reflected by the dress isn't influenced.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 05:25:34 am by Antsan »
Taste my Paci-Fist

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2015, 05:39:53 am »

Looks white and gold to me. And yeah, it's pretty ugly.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2015, 06:13:42 am »

Tilting the screen results in messed up colours, it is a well understood quirk of TF LCD displays (most common LCD tech). Newer LCD technology, such as AMOLED (pretty much anything Samsung) and IPS (anything Apple, most non-Samsung phones and tablets, and most Ultrabook/"premium" PC laptops) is not really affected.

If I look at it at an extreme angle on my desktop monitor, the colours get all messed up.

If I look at the image at the same angle on my iMac or Surface Pro (both IPS) it looks identical to looking at it straight on.

BBC to the rescue!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 06:16:03 am by alexandertnt »
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2015, 02:41:23 pm »

When I tilt my own screen, and when I watch the video, I do see it as white and gold, however everything is darker/fuzzier, so I present an actual negative of the picture.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/2faa13a8ca7dd472fe05197dac676ebb/tumblr_inline_nkfrc9V59d1ri3dep.jpg

Interestingly enough, it's white and gold, but with the bands switched. Not what I see when I tilt the screen... I have no idea what is going on. Could the negative of the picture have to do with why people see white and gold?

EDIT: Wait....do people who see a white and gold dress see the negative in blue and black???
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 03:27:21 pm by Micro102 »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2015, 03:09:39 pm »

I see it as white and gold. When I watch the video, I see it turning to black and blue. When I tilt my own monitor at an extreme angle I get something like gold and lightish blue, but not black and blue.

The logical conclusion is that the dress is magical, because it changes colors at will. We probably should start worshipping it, so that it doesn't change to red and orange, which would obviously be a sign of the coming apocalypse.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2015, 03:49:58 pm »

Interestingly enough, it's white and gold, but with the bands switched. Not what I see when I tilt the screen... I have no idea what is going on. Could the negative of the picture have to do with why people see white and gold?
It's completely logical for it to be white and gold with the bands switched. After all, what many people see as gold, is actually black, thus when inverted becomes white. What many people see as white, but is in reality blue, becomes yellow when inverted. The illusion itself is completely lost in the inversion.

Simple logic and RGB values, no magic here.

It's only tangentially related to the dominant explanation, which is the eye automatically compensating by removing blue from the image, thus turning black to gold and blue to white.

EDIT: Wait....do people who see a white and gold dress see the negative in blue and black???
Not that I know off. No logical reason for that to happen.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2015, 03:57:09 pm »

Given the anomalous nature of the dress, I wonder if the SCP-Foundation ever got a hold of it and it's mind-bending properties? I would personally rate it as Euclid-Class due to it affecting relations between people and groups due to the bickering it causes from it's memetic chameleonic qualities. Who knows what colors it really is? Maybe Black-Blue/Gold-White is all we can actually perceive of it; whereas under other lighting (infra-red/ultra-violet) it would register as completely different colors unobservable to the naked eye; able to look into the abyss or something. Makes you wonder if the dress is sentient in it's own right with it's psychic qualities. It needs to be further studied in a safe environment. How do you call the SCP-Foundation to settle this once and for all? I wonder if SCP-682 would be affected by it? Maybe he wouldn't be affected at all, since it's from his realm or whatever; given all the chaos it has caused.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5