Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16

Author Topic: XCOM: Long War - Beta 15 Campaign  (Read 56119 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Long War - Beta 15 Campaign
« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2015, 06:48:56 pm »

You should look at Xenonauts then.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2015, 09:16:23 pm »

Sorry, folks, got caught up in an epic game of Crusader Kings 2.

But I've been itching to play more X-Com lately, so I'll be getting back into this very soon.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2015, 02:13:45 am »

I dislike the loss of freedom. It is a fun game, don't get me wrong, but it is a bit... 'small' compared to the original. Base design may well be more meaningful, but maybe not, it no longer represents a combat-map building affair but you get adjacency bonuses and you avoid simply repeating identical bases in different locations. I dunno, I think I prefer the old bases. Base placement is an irritating loss, transit is still a factor and you have no control over it. Radar coverage is simplified, probably for the best there. The economy.. I miss being able to invest in fabrication as an economic venture, and products are sort of magical now and poorly explained as to how they come into being... The engineer and scientist limits are basically caps on your progress that force you to generalise and limit your growth, which is a bit irritating to be told what to do like that. The aircraft seem a bit tame, there are no real revolutions there and you only ever have a single transport, which seems artificially frustrating and it is invulnerable, which is probably for the best... Combat seems a bit more methodical to me. You have these crazy abilities that you need to use and cover is basically everything if you fail to kill everything before it can act. So you end up constantly looking for the specific circumstances in which you are optimal. The original, well, I really disliked the vision mechanics and almost necessary manipulation of such, but the ability to manipulate the terrain, especially in apocalypse, was just brilliant, and really hasn't been matched since except in speciality things like Dwarf Fortress... So I feel that there was more tactical flexibility and, I guess, at any given moment there were more... 'correct answers' if you will...

So really, the best remark I can come up with is that the new game is small. It is compact, so you can get more compare to what you put in, but there is much less of it.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 25, 2015, 01:48:31 pm »

PTW

Name: Ashley <Don't care about the nickname, you pick> Haverford
Nationality: Any
Appearance: Black hair of medium length, white, Caucasian, green armor tint.

Preferred class: Any
Preferred weapon: Any
Preferred equipment: Any
Preferred tactics:
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 04, 2015, 09:06:48 pm »

[I'm back! I....don't remember too well what happened for this set of images, but I'll do the best I can. We may rush through a bunch of it, though, to get things going again.]

The aliens try to scout over Australia but we drive them off.

Things are then quiet for a little bit. Japan and France are interested in our Sectoid corpses, which we exchange for more skilled Scientists. Vahlen is quiet excited, as our Laboratory should be up and running in a short while.

Of course, the Aliens aren't going to leave us be for that long. An urgent message arrives from the Council

A UN Official, huh? I can't help but smile. I know exactly who we're going in to save.

I have some of our veterans gear up. They have orders to be extra careful with the VIP on this mission.

Spoiler: Soldiers (click to show/hide)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 04, 2015, 11:01:46 pm »

It's a shame you didn't do this mission on the latest version of b15, because you would've gotten Private Friendly as a soldier as well.

On the other hand, all the thin men would've dropped in cover, so it's a mixed bag.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 05, 2015, 01:16:43 am »

Need more funk.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 05, 2015, 02:13:23 am »

Cool, update.  Lone Wolf for me, I think.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 05, 2015, 07:17:31 am »

Holo-targetting for Kaos, he shall provide valuable data for the rest of the squad.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 06, 2015, 10:54:01 am »

Some soldier updates

And looking forward to future expansions I order Shen to build an access lift to the next layer of the base.

We also trade a few more sectoid corpses in for another scientist

And not long after we get word that the Aliens are attempting abductions in Nigeria. We assemble a team and order them to head out on the double!

Spoiler: Operation Purple Skull (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Soldiers (click to show/hide)

We use the funds from the abduction to order another interceptor. Our air game could certainly use the help.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 06, 2015, 11:10:56 am »

The next few days are pretty uneventful. The lab is finished, much to Dr. Vahlen's satisfaction.

Our new Interceptor arrives, bringing us to a full compliment of 6 fighters over Asia

And the Access lift is completed, opening up a new layer of the base for construction.

Finally, the month ends with the usual meeting with the Council. They are most pleased with our progress to date. I can only hope future meetings go so well.

With the additional funds I order a second Satellite Uplink built as well as excavations towards the steam vent on the second level. We'll need that power soon, I'm sure.

A short time later Dr. Vahlen informs me that the preliminary research into the Alien Weapons has been completed.

We'll have to decide what to focus our research efforts on next.

Come play Mafia with us!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 06, 2015, 11:36:23 am »

Huh. I did not expect this to return.

Beam lasers.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 06, 2015, 12:22:03 pm »

Beam lasers sound good, need to step up the alien killing effectiveness.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 06, 2015, 12:39:41 pm »

Giselle shall take Flush. Play checkers with Villiams in the infirmary.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 06, 2015, 02:56:22 pm »

Take covering fire, play checkers while comatose, advocate xenoneurology from grave.
Did I just come out of a month-long coma?
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16