Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 232584 times)

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #1005 on: August 27, 2015, 10:29:47 pm »

No.  Spark would not be trampled, because Spark can fly.
Also, Spark is prioritizing the threat that's going INTO the fort so right now he's either chasing after you or unleashing fire at you.
"Goddamit, PAIN RESIST?  GO FOR THE HEAD, ALL!  IF NOT, KNEECAPS!"
I switch the battery's power tap from the staff to myself, taking a defensive stance while I use kinetic energy to hopefully apply force directly to the enemy's brains.
(clarifying: they struck him down with weapons, THEN trampled him. I am also assuming that in order to fry anything, you'd have to be very close to the target, making it easier for them to attack then trample. hence why "struck down" came first, then trampled. please edit accordingly.)
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: August 27, 2015, 10:32:00 pm »

No.  Spark would not be trampled, because Spark can fly.
Also, Spark is prioritizing the threat that's going INTO the fort so right now he's either chasing after you or unleashing fire at you.
"Goddamit, PAIN RESIST?  GO FOR THE HEAD, ALL!  IF NOT, KNEECAPS!"
I switch the battery's power tap from the staff to myself, taking a defensive stance while I use kinetic energy to hopefully apply force directly to the enemy's brains.
(clarifying: they struck him down with weapons, THEN trampled him. I am also assuming that in order to fry anything, you'd have to be very close to the target, making it easier for them to attack then trample. hence why "struck down" came first, then trampled. please edit accordingly.)
((Please don't assume that I am automatically wrong.  Also please note that Spark was prioritizing your necro first ("making sure to fry the stranger if at all possible"), and may have not even gone after the soldiers.))
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:59:41 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: August 27, 2015, 11:18:34 pm »

(lets take this back to the ooc thread, shall we?)
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: AAH TOO MUCH FIRE
« Reply #1008 on: August 28, 2015, 01:32:51 am »

((I think there may be cause for a subtitle change if I've done my math right on how much energy I can get.  So...Allow me to note that Spark will not destroy itself by unleashing more energy than it can survive.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: August 28, 2015, 01:38:02 am »

The charging berserkers get as far as the battlement stairs, cutting their way through those confused guards who actually try to stop them, before trying to get up the steep, narrow staircase closest to them, being blocked by an electropike-wielding Patham and a group of guards in full platemail. Dwarven steel is an admirable match for man-forged iron.

And then the soldiers behind them and to the sides start firing into them, a mostly-unfamiliar sharp rat-ta-ta-ta-tat noise serving as counterpoint to the dull boom-click-clack-boom of carbines. Thick iron plate padded with mail, leather, and layered linen provides admirable protection against bullets, but there are weak spots, and regardless of how well such armor can stop rounds, it cannot stop the kinetic energy they carry.

In the end... Forty soldiers firing into less than twenty trapped at a chokepoint from three sides. They die. Berskers, though frightening, are far from unfamiliar to dwarves, who have their own problems, and the three-man-line meeting them holds without undue panic. In all, seven dwarves are slain, three injured, including Mage Patham with two shallow cuts and a nasty bone-bruise. What they do accomplish, however, is to distract the guards long enough for their commander, one sleeve aflame and a fragment of ricocheted lead lodged in his leg, to get inside the fortress.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: August 28, 2015, 01:52:17 am »

(are you implying there is only one staircase? because that seems a bit silly. I would expect there would be a second way up the battlements, and they aren't exactly stupid. they could split up and try to breach the blockade from a second stairwell, and probably cause more harm.)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: August 28, 2015, 02:10:24 am »

{I assumed two things, one, that berserkers don't make good tacticians, and two, that spreading out would remove even the benefit of numbers.}

{There are three stairwells, at five to each they'd be badly outnumbered in melee, not to mention getting picked off while they were moving. Keep in mind too that seven deaths is about ten percent of our total population, they did pretty well, and got "The Stranger" inside the fort.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: August 28, 2015, 02:14:41 am »

Spark follows the "stranger" down into the fortress, as I divert the first tower battery's tap to him.
Spark's speed shoots up, first.  Then, he stops radiating as much light...
((Yes I am going for a laser.))
I quickly bind my cuts, (and wonder what a bone bruise even is, and WHERE it is), before tapping another battery (not interrupting the tap to Spark, which was fully handed off), (if there is a medic of ours)(handing off the Canteen Of Biorepair to a  (I'm going to reclaim it later though)) and resuming sniper fire.  Once again I target the enemy mages, using the same tactics.

Inside the fortress, defensive countermeasures are activated by the alert system's tripwire on the main door, in addition to Spark and whatever additional computational capacity I have running.  Doors lock, my lab seals itself behind all four locks, and positive action countermeasures activate on some doors that will open.  These doors, I note, will unleash a  pattern of force bursts that is supposed to hit the body types of probable enemies (human, dwarven, elven) in vulnerable spots.  It might not kill, but it's darn well going to slow someone down who doesn't have a passglyph.  And there are very few people with passglyphs.  ((Like seriously, me, the battle-worthy PCs, the squad leaders in the military.  Spark won't set them off either.))
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 02:19:22 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: August 28, 2015, 03:24:14 am »

*the stranger would turn, and focus upon spark, twisting and tainting the energy into an unholy mix that would fry the battery, and most likely twist spark's original being into something... different. the originally barely sentient magicomputer would unleash a wave of agony through spark and it's connection to Net, possibly incapacitating them both in the process as a part of his own consciousness is ripped through it and into the now sapient machine. after which he would continue to limp off as quietly as possible, heading for the lift with urgency*
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 07:39:29 am by Dustan Hache »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: August 28, 2015, 09:44:58 am »

==Retconbot Deployed==
*the stranger would turn, and focus upon spark, twisting and tainting the energy into an unholy mix that would fry the battery, and most likely twist spark's original being into something... different. the originally barely sentient magicomputer would unleash a wave of agony through spark and it's connection to Net, possibly incapacitating them both in the process as a part of his own consciousness is ripped through it and into the now sapient machine. after which he would continue to limp off as quietly as possible, heading for the lift with urgency*
((...You don't have access to the computer...Also, it takes a bit of time to do that.  And if you're trying to taint Spark, you will have a couple problems with that in that the rest of the magic will be undoing what you're doing.  Spark already WAS sapient.  Even sentient, because, y'know.  He can talk.  The way I'm thinking of it, you'd probably need actual physical contact, too.))
:Activating antimeddling countermeasures:
:Automatic tap cutoff engaged to preserve battery:
:Automatic telepathy shutoff engaged to protect Netpatham, final message sent of position and warning of potential corruption:
:In range, activating laser:
*a laser, charged with all the heat energy remaining and the photons gathered, sears down the short distance left, as Spark has caught up while the necromancer was focusing on corrupting it and finding that a bit harder than simply grabbing hold and twisting like usual*

((Seriously, I can see you making a doortrap not work, but I bloody well put antihacking measures into a thaumic AI of any power.))
:Inspecting damage:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 12:42:52 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: August 28, 2015, 10:37:25 am »

(Okay, one i am going to have to call you out for power game, and two, making sapient magimachines is wayyy beyond your current abilities. For one, you can't have sapience without free will and thought, which would require that it have it's own mind and soul to begin with. It was sharing yours in theory because you are linked to it, and therefore it is only a sentient extention of you. Two, one does not simply "cut off" energy being corrupted in a spell analog. Even if the battery and your mind link were removed from the equation, the taint would still affect and probably make spark go haywire, because it is essentially being posessed by a evil, or at least opposing force. Finally, this is not hacking. This is like changing a alternating current to a direct current, which is far more dangerous and unpredictable. There is no "firewall" to stop it, and the closest thing you can do to negate it is shut him down before it fries or distorts him.)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: August 28, 2015, 11:18:50 am »

(Okay, one i am going to have to call you out for power game, and two, making sapient magimachines is wayyy beyond your current abilities. For one, you can't have sapience without free will and thought, which would require that it have it's own mind and soul to begin with. It was sharing yours in theory because you are linked to it, and therefore it is only a sentient extention of you. Two, one does not simply "cut off" energy being corrupted in a spell analog. Even if the battery and your mind link were removed from the equation, the taint would still affect and probably make spark go haywire, because it is essentially being posessed by a evil, or at least opposing force. Finally, this is not hacking. This is like changing a alternating current to a direct current, which is far more dangerous and unpredictable. There is no "firewall" to stop it, and the closest thing you can do to negate it is shut him down before it fries or distorts him.)
((Ahem.  It isn't beyond my abilities, especially when powered by an Inspiration Particle.  And while I'm not a necro, there's nothing preventing me from working some counter-tampering measures into my own spells like you do.  So, while I don't disagree that you could do that to just about anything else in the fort that's magic and break it (because this is not inherent in my magic, but an applied trait), I am going to say that it will take you time you don't have when being chased by a laser-wielding dragonhawk.  Like, trying to break an encryption, even a simple one, and then substitute your own, different, encryption, while running around, with a bullet in your leg, and on fire.  Also, if you're just shoving magic in, Spark can just ground it.

Where do you see powergaming?))
Sigtext

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: August 28, 2015, 02:42:55 pm »

(One, lasers to begin with. He just expended several days worth of energy, and cut off his power source mid charge. He shouldnt be able to do death lasers. Second, this is corruption of energy, period. Algorithms and stuff can't touch this because it is the Power supply, therefore your argument is invalid. Also, no true anti-magic warding has been invented on either side, though some things are more resistant to being siphoned than others, namely people directly.

The only reason it is harmful to try and handle necromantic energy,[and this is the key part]  is because there is semi divine influence involved.
Also, please explain how it would be able to ground tainted energy that spreads through concentrated geothaum like wildfire?

And while you are at it, explain how, even with a strange mood, you got a "inspiration particle" into your machine, and how this somehow makes it sapient.)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 02:48:26 pm by Dustan Hache »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: August 28, 2015, 06:50:01 pm »

(One, lasers to begin with. He just expended several days worth of energy, and cut off his power source mid charge. He shouldnt be able to do death lasers. Second, this is corruption of energy, period. Algorithms and stuff can't touch this because it is the Power supply, therefore your argument is invalid. Also, no true anti-magic warding has been invented on either side, though some things are more resistant to being siphoned than others, namely people directly.

The only reason it is harmful to try and handle necromantic energy,[and this is the key part]  is because there is semi divine influence involved.
Also, please explain how it would be able to ground tainted energy that spreads through concentrated geothaum like wildfire?

And while you are at it, explain how, even with a strange mood, you got a "inspiration particle" into your machine, and how this somehow makes it sapient.)
((One: OOC thread.  Two: That was sort of maybe not possibly true, depending on just how we take the entire "No Insta-Flambe" thing.  Two And A Half: And either way that was heat energy, not magic energy.  Three: Corruption of energy period is not how that bloody well works full stop.  Something that will cause Bad Things should the spell not be set up to handle it, like a sort of magical buffer overflow, sure.  Entirely different forms of energy?  No.  That's simply not how it works.  Four: Spark is a people.  Five: No anti-magic? Says who?  Six: That's not how inspiration particles work.  It triggered the sort-of-maybe-a-mood that led to Spark.  But mostly, it's just what my character latched onto as why he had the plans for Spark anyway.  Seven:  Explain how the heck you've not just contaminated the entire universe with necro, then, because a self-reinforcing magical contagion WOULD HAVE by now.  It doesn't make sense, and above all it's not in any way, shape, or form, fair to make necromantic taints a plague that will automatically happen should it be leaked.  Necrotaint is NOT a ground state of magic, it is inherently a more energetic state that will decay over time, and possibly cause the effects of evil biomes.  For that matter, holytaint is not a ground state either.))
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: August 28, 2015, 07:09:50 pm »

{Necrotaint is a curse put upon the energy obtained by dark means by the entity that provided the energy. It was my idea initially, and I'm sticking to it. It's safe for the summoner to use, and for anyone else it's, while entirely usable, very hazardous.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 262