Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 232582 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #975 on: August 25, 2015, 02:46:29 pm »

{Very true, on all counts except untrained. These are the commander's personal soldiers, and some of the few people in the fort who've seen combat. Plus they're standard-issue gimli-ripoff dwarves with steel plate and big, big axes. Regardless, there're only five of them and they certainly couldn't hold off a strike force on their own.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: August 25, 2015, 03:16:03 pm »

(.... how many times have they had to shoot at a moving target? how many times have they had to shoot at an evasively moving target? how many times have they had to shoot period?)
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: August 25, 2015, 03:50:12 pm »

{They've got enough ammunition to afford frequent training, there're enough birds in the area for hunting to be a valid pursuit, and their two major combat encounters have been to use muskets against a large number of charging Troglodytes, the ones you reanimated for round two. Being used to having inaccurate, single-shot weapons, they're pretty good at hitting things with seven-shot rifles. Again, they still couldn't outfight three times their number in well-equipped professional soldiers at close range, and will likely miss most of their shots. I accept that.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: August 25, 2015, 04:32:11 pm »

(sounds close to what I was thinking.)
it seems fair to me. just keep this paranoid madman away from me, will you? I would rather not have him harassing me with accusations constantly, even with someone else watching over. *he would have already moved there while fleeing from the makeshift mage artillery, and be sitting against a wall. the guards would be chatting among eachother, and the actual traders would be glaring at the guards.*
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #979 on: August 25, 2015, 04:36:17 pm »

i jst might re-mention, tht i invented a type of bullet with double the gunpowder and solid llead slug. try not to blow your guns up.:D
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: August 25, 2015, 04:43:19 pm »

(gwolfski, one does not re-mention stuff they did not do, especially with smilies while ic... people like you are generally removed or ignored during roleplay for a very good reason.)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #981 on: August 25, 2015, 05:04:57 pm »

(gwolfski, one does not re-mention stuff they did not do, especially with smilies while ic... people like you are generally removed or ignored during roleplay for a very good reason.)

that was in my post that was removed when my browser crashed i think

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: August 25, 2015, 05:53:10 pm »

*the siegefire of zombies would continue, with a barrage of 1-2 zombies every minute per half hour, the force being halved as one remains in place to continue the barrage safely with all of the mages, and the other half prepares to disperse into the hills surrounding the base. the stranger would look at the guard placements, and look for a way into the underground, and with it the cave systems.*

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: August 25, 2015, 06:27:24 pm »

{Gwolf, that isn't an invention, that's sabotage. Adding more powder only works with certain weapons, mostly they just break or blow up. Repeated attempts to damage our defenses will get your character executed, siege or no.}

The stranger notes that the only apparent way into the fortress is a thick iron gate, set into the mountain. There are also some arrow, or in this case, musket-slits, carved into the rock face to allow those within to shoot out, but they're too small to get through, and the guards would certainly notice.

Said guards have a discrete perimeter around the caravan and their shelter, as well as five groups of three manning the big howitzers, which have begun to fire every two minutes, each round of shots drowning out all other noise for a few seconds.

The first set of shells land among the largest four concentrations of mercenaries, detonating ten feet overhead and splattering them with searing white flame and billowing clouds of thin, foul smoke.

The remainder of the guards, those not still inside the fortress, are manning either the walls or the four sharpshooter towers, some fifty dwarves in all, most not particularly experienced.

{Incidentally, how are the zombietillery shells being thrown? Magic will have worn out your mages within a few hours, whereas catapults will be prime targets for the artillery.}

Muh FG--OOC Thread

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: August 25, 2015, 06:56:24 pm »

( i worded that badly. They're flinging zombies with magic every half hour, taking a minute to launch 2 zombies before they have to rest again.) *apparantly used to the idea of deadly clouds, the living among the forces would immediately scatter and spreadout as far apart from eachother as they can, while the zombies among them would trudge on through the clouds, fanning out as well in a staggered formation to prevent direct blasts and the flames from killing their numbers*
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 07:07:45 pm by Dustan Hache »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: August 25, 2015, 07:09:06 pm »

{All right. I fail to see the utility of throwing zombies more than a mile so hard they splat on impact, you'd be better served just using rocks.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: August 25, 2015, 07:15:44 pm »

( its meant to be a shock weapon, and feed the necromancer) *during the next barrage, they would fling some of the still burning corpses back at dwarves, showering white flame across the fortress and possibly causing chaos over at least two of the howitzer crews.* ~thatll thin their numbers, and maybe provide a distraction..~

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: August 25, 2015, 08:26:39 pm »

Spark (from a position near the traders) and I (running about) are watching the zombie corpses for power taps, and ESPECIALLY for where said power taps lead.  Should either of us discover that there's a necro in the fort, Spark will alert the Guard Captain to the person in question.  Spark will also maintain a position that will allow him to apply large amounts of fire to any hostiles that suddenly happen in the group of traders.
Meanwhile, I watch for any strong enemy casters (as compared to the norm) to make sure that the necro isn't actually outside.
Metaknowledge check for "actual traders."
If I am not busy doing the other things, I take up whatever we have sniperwise and start trying to take out the catapult mages.
((While I am not skilled in terminologating, I am reasonably sure that I ICly have the capacity to use long-distance weapons effectively.))
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 08:30:26 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: August 25, 2015, 08:32:24 pm »

i jst might re-mention, tht i invented a type of bullet with double the gunpowder and solid llead slug. try not to blow your guns up. :D
One a)Does not re-mention something that did not happen.  b)Does not actively sabotage things by not doing any research at all.  c)Does not do anything playaltering in the middle of a fight unless you've actually planned it out beforehand!
/null
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #989 on: August 26, 2015, 04:14:58 am »

you didnt see that post, did you?
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 262