Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 232903 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #585 on: July 15, 2015, 12:06:38 am »

((Look, content!))
*this piece of paper was found drifting in the halls*
List of materials, incomplete:
Rubies.  All the rubies.  Well maybe not all the rubies.  A lot of rubies.
Nether cap.
Two small diamonds.  About or less than 1cm^3, volume-wise.
Several thaumic batteries, to drive embedded spells and permanency.
Several violations of the laws of physics as we generally know them to be.
The discovery that nether cap is indeed a constant output thaumically as it is for temperature.
(Nether cap thaumic generators...Make these when done, me.)
((Note: The thaumic potential of anything normally fluctuates downward as it is tapped, save for certain cases where the graph is exponentially INCREASING and frankly liable to cause explosions.  Nether cap doesn't do that and instead is constantly a source of a certain amount of magic.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 15, 2015, 12:53:08 am »

{I'm going to say that Nether-Cap acts as a thaumic-field powered heat sink/hyperentropic object. It doesn't generate new energy, it gets rid of excess energy. On the other hand, since it would be charged from the thaumic field anyway, a direct TF generator of the sort you can already make- being more specialized and having fewer steps to get thermodynamic on you -would be more efficient.}

In the past, Pyrefly;

"Nor was I, until about a year back. The question is, do you want to be."

The elevator appears to have space at last, so we less-injured board it, the second-last group to use the crude elevator.

In the present, or the Twenty-Second of our current month to be precise, T+ one week since the FB;

*Knocks on workshop doorframe, since we don't put doors on nonclassified small work rooms*

"You doin' alright, Net? Even technomages need water."

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 02:28:34 am by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #587 on: July 15, 2015, 03:39:41 am »

{thaumo-physics thoery: when stuff is atom-smashed, thaumic background is high, but when stuff is made from nothing, eg sand, clay, aquifers, metal-making exploits and farmplots, thaumic bacground is low}
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 15, 2015, 06:24:26 am »

{Those are bugs with the videogame dwarf fortress, not existential facts within the game universe. If you actually atom-smashed something, it'd explode and kill everyone. Four-in-the-morning logic dictates that I will find a way to make "Explode and kill everyone" a catchphrase. And so it shall be.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 15, 2015, 11:19:50 am »

"Yeah."
"The properties of Nether Cap are very interesting, by the way."
((Also, if Nether Cap has a constant thaum level (as it does heat), it is a source.  It can also be a sink, but it's a source too.  Like Nether Cap would be a source of heat in a glacier or something.))
((Whereas, say, a thaumic generator where normal materials were used would, if used overmuch, run out of power and need to recharge.  Nether cap is constantly charged with x amount of thaum, like heat.  Or so I am 'theorizing'.  I'm not saying it's a lot of thaum, I'm just saying that we won't run out of it.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #590 on: July 15, 2015, 11:30:30 am »

{Those are bugs with the videogame dwarf fortress, not existential facts within the game universe. If you actually atom-smashed something, it'd explode and kill everyone. Four-in-the-morning logic dictates that I will find a way to make "Explode and kill everyone" a catchphrase. And so it shall be.}

{what if toady intended to implement tahumalur magic? Bessides, why not?}
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 01:43:57 pm by Gwolfski »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 15, 2015, 11:33:34 am »

{what if tody intended to implement tahumalur magic? Bessides, why not?}
((You spelled the Toady One's name wrong.  BURN THE HERETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!))
((Besides, because physics has to make sense when it's not being blatantly defied by Nether Cap.))
Sigtext

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #592 on: July 15, 2015, 01:44:22 pm »

{what if tody intended to implement tahumalur magic? Bessides, why not?}
((You spelled the Toady One's name wrong.  BURN THE HERETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!))
((Besides, because physics has to make sense when it's not being blatantly defied by Nether Cap.))
i didnt. i hate physics

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 15, 2015, 02:52:03 pm »

{It is my assumption that Nether Cap is either nonthaumic in nature, or powered by the field. Either way, it doesn't create infinite energy, because entropy is a thing here, though TF powered objects tend to run until something breaks, being capable of self-restart after the field temporarily goes down.}
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 02:54:51 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 15, 2015, 04:42:51 pm »

{It is my assumption that Nether Cap is either nonthaumic in nature, or powered by the field. Either way, it doesn't create infinite energy, because entropy is a thing here, though TF powered objects tend to run until something breaks, being capable of self-restart after the field temporarily goes down.}
((Entropy is the measure of disorder in a system, not the amount of energy in it.  Also, since nether cap is blatantly defying physics, my hypothesis is that some trickster god archetype decided to steal it from a universe where physics worked just differently enough (but not too much).  So, you know, things aren't always going to make sense.  That would be nonthaumic origins.  However, like its anomalous temperature, there is an anomalous constant thaumic output because different magical physics.  Yay, handwave.))
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 15, 2015, 06:06:53 pm »

{*Shrugs* It being cold only means it outputs heat-energy by the standards of very cold things. It'd be easier to enchant something to make energy- !edit; do so using a very small amount of TF energy to cause a safer variant of radioactive decay -than to get a useful amount of energy out of something that exists below the point at which water freezes. I'm not saying you can't make a nether-cap generator, but there are far better ways of doing it, some of which don't even rely on the field. Thermodynamic Entropy is the result the very slight inefficiency that is impossible to avoid in any system, and is the reason true zero-input perpetual-motion machines can't happen. Things like the Heat-Death theory of how the universe will die rely on thermodynamic entropy.}
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 06:11:42 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 15, 2015, 07:38:30 pm »

{*Shrugs* It being cold only means it outputs heat-energy by the standards of very cold things. It'd be easier to enchant something to make energy- !edit; do so using a very small amount of TF energy to cause a safer variant of radioactive decay -than to get a useful amount of energy out of something that exists below the point at which water freezes. I'm not saying you can't make a nether-cap generator, but there are far better ways of doing it, some of which don't even rely on the field. Thermodynamic Entropy is the result the very slight inefficiency that is impossible to avoid in any system, and is the reason true zero-input perpetual-motion machines can't happen. Things like the Heat-Death theory of how the universe will die rely on thermodynamic entropy.}
((Eh.  I think that Nether Cap's abnormally constant heat values are indicative of similar abnormal constancy in thaumic values.  By which I mean, any thaumic energy source can theoretically be depleted.  Not the thaumic background, but any source one taps.  Nether cap is a constant, low-level, source.  Similarly as it is with heat.))
((Anywho, can we advance???))
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 08:17:14 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 15, 2015, 09:17:45 pm »

{I'm not stopping you. Did I stupid again and I need to post next?}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 15, 2015, 10:54:43 pm »

((Meh.  You could, but I could just as easily timeskip to the end of the artifact.))
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 16, 2015, 04:24:05 am »

{That would be up to everyone else. I really don't care either way.}

Journal, 23rd of the month;

I've been making exemplary progress on the Sten project so far, I believe the prototype phase may not be far away.

We'll need a better name. "Sten" just sounds kinda boring.

I've set the chemists to work on nitrating glycerides. They'll likely need more of my time to figure it out completely, but for now, they're progressing as well as can be expected.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 262