Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 232781 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #420 on: July 07, 2015, 09:18:49 pm »

{Nether cap's temperature cannot change, no matter how hot its surroundings, which I take to mean it can absorb heat-energy forever without getting more energetic. Basically, it's the perfect weapon barrel shroud, among other things. As for healing, for starters read my PM, but other than that, while you could, with some difficulty, just make new cells out of nothing, it's pretty hard to carry, on your person, the amounts of energy necessary to achieve this, or really most magical things. Basically, my thought is that it should be a lot easier to use mass-energy from the person's body to do it. Also, we could, for instance, feed our troops really well before battle to ensure they have a lot of mass/nutrients to use. As for the whole thing with needing to heal people quickly before they die, the putting stuff back into place step takes about fifteen-thirty seconds, and that's what stabilizes the person. Full regeneration to the point of only scars remaining is what takes a long time. You'd be partially functional a lot sooner than that, if you weren't in extreme pain.}
That, or it's not thaumically stable.  It could easily be a homeotherm that evolved to shunt excess heat into ambient magic.
Ahem.  1T==.5kg.  1T=easily managed unless you're Rincewind.  How much mass do you actually lose in combat?  Not much, I think?  If you can get the parts back
Going to check the PM right now, will continue this there.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 07, 2015, 09:28:45 pm »

{Whoa, wait, a Thaum equals half a kilo of mass-energy? That sounds a little overkill, given the ability to turn that into a megaton-plus explosion. Even 1T=1g-mass-energy would be a lot.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 07, 2015, 09:32:05 pm »

{Whoa, wait, a Thaum equals half a kilo of mass-energy? That sounds a little overkill, given the ability to turn that into a megaton-plus explosion. Even 1T=1g-mass-energy would be a lot.}
*points at Discworld*
Blame them.
They set a pigeon as a benchmark.
Also, it equals .5kg MASS, I don't know that converting it into energy directly is nearly that efficient.  Especially because caster safety, and duration requirements.  If magic goes wrong and explodes in your face, yeah, but (to make a clearly-needed nerf make sense) keeping the caster safe from being scorched by that ball of fire they just threw takes a large portion of the energy that would otherwise be put towards the frankly quite inefficient method of materializing the fire at your position and moving it.  Not to mention keeping it alive and active without sputtering out.

Basically, if you want to have a "traditional" fireball that sticks around, the energy required takes a lot of the mc^2.

So you could sacrifice time for power.  Or risk scorching yourself.  But most magi do not.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 09:44:57 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 07, 2015, 09:44:27 pm »

{Ok, so I'm going to pull antimatter as a reference here, it's basically a truly efficient method of converting mass straight to pure energy, and has the exhaustively aforementioned catastrophic energy release. On the other hand, Discworld's system runs off of warped laws of physics, so, for instance, the speed of light, the constant, the C in E=M x C^2, is only about six hundred MPH, rather than 186282.3 miles per second. Antimatter in the Discworld would be like flashbulb powder with really difficult containment, not nuclear paperclips.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 07, 2015, 09:46:53 pm »

{Ok, so I'm going to pull antimatter as a reference here, it's basically a truly efficient method of converting mass straight to pure energy, and has the exhaustively aforementioned catastrophic energy release. On the other hand, Discworld's system runs off of warped laws of physics, so, for instance, the speed of light, the constant, the C in E=M x C^2, is only about six hundred MPH, rather than 186282.3 miles per second. Antimatter in the Discworld would be like flashbulb powder with really difficult containment, not nuclear paperclips.}
There's also the light that allows you to see that light (somewhere, there's a line that specifically says that.  Ponder Stibbons has probably done a lot of this work for us, I just wish I could, you know, ask the guy.), so maybe, but PROBABLY not.  Off-the-top-of-my-headcanon for that:  Electron orbit transitions are slow.  Light is still fast.  Either way, magic is weird.

Also, I like how this thread has been suddenly rerailed into a debate on just how magic works and absolutely no one is complaining yet.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 09:51:38 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 07, 2015, 09:50:11 pm »

{I'm going to say that discworld physics don't count in a world that doesn't use them, though my point remains. Look, for the purposes of the game, using mass-energy conversion is limited to nuclear reactors and killing every living thing within a few miles.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 07, 2015, 09:56:32 pm »

{I'm going to say that discworld physics don't count in a world that doesn't use them, though my point remains. Look, for the purposes of the game, using mass-energy conversion is limited to nuclear reactors and killing every living thing within a few miles.}
Well.  Actually.  If the speed of light was ACTUALLY 600MPH on the Disc, things would be extremely different, physical-constants wise.
And by that, I mean you'd notice time dilation on a horse.
Although, there was red/blueshift at 100MPH...AUGH CONTRADICTIONS ARE HAPPENING.
I blame the Narrativium.  For all of this.

Bluh, I have to figure out lossiness now...
Can we just shove a Narrativium not-a-constant in and call it a day, or something?  This is a bit much.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:08:50 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 07, 2015, 10:09:09 pm »

{Yep. That's why Discworld works. Narrativium. The place has some of the highest concentrations of it in the known multiverse. There's a reason half the altvers of that universe have been stripped of the stuff by mining concerns. Moving further discussion to PM so we avoid further TURBOCLUTTER of this thread.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 07, 2015, 10:16:13 pm »

Right.
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 08, 2015, 03:01:02 am »

{Mmkay, so I apologize for the massive derail, Biggerfish is a munchkin, just not the bad kind. Here's your updop.

Also, the Spearbreakers question, before I forget; I don't know enough about Spearbreakers yet to know what's up, I don't want spoilers, and I'd rather this not become a spinoff of all things forum-based. For Net's reference, it'd be like Twin doing the early parts of the Invasion without having read Homestuck.

It totally didn't need to take me this long to update, but OHGODRELATIVES/}

From now on, not-me-in-character-narrating updates are in italicized Andale Mono.

Blaze realizes that his horrible burns actually don't hurt that much, probably because the nerve endings are kill. Recovering from this one's gonna be fun.

As the narrativic energies fade from the newcomer's weapon, it becomes clear that whatever he did, it was a one-time deal. Still pretty awesome though.

Gwolf2ki attempts to threaten the guard with his theft of the man's prized mug collection and gets his sentence extended for stealing.

The newcomer manages to recover from his massive use of energy in obliterating the GCS, and begins attempting to stabilize the worst wounded with some variety of magic. Whatever it is, he manages to save most of those near us who would, otherwise, have died before exhausting himself.

Lifeweaver, while not badly wounded, is in a coma and only some grand effort of his own will can wake him now.

Sergeant Sarvesh and his medically inclined friend, seeing that their immediate help isn't required with the dying, quickly rush to help me, carefully extracting the shard without worsening the damage, then providing a quick field dressing for the miraculously-non-life-threatening puncture wound and moving on to those whose lives, while not in immediate danger of ending, are certainly likely to be permanently worsened without swift help.

The effort to create an emergency elevator is moving swiftly, though there is some question as to whether anyone is still alive down there, given the molten flame and toxic smoke everywhere. And the rubble spread nearly half a kilometer in every direction. And the raging brush fire sweeping the caverns.

Whereas the shit I actually do is in Courier New.

Using my rifle as a walking stick, I limp over to the other survivors, carefully holding the bloodstained razorshard in my other hand.

"How're you two holding up?"

I appear to process the newcomer's presence.

"For that matter, where the devil did you come from and who the hell are you?"
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 03:32:15 am by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #430 on: July 08, 2015, 04:30:39 am »

-stray kitten (tame) has adopted Gwol2ki!-

"Come here kitty! Good kitty. Kitty wants fish? Then kitty hunt for cell keys! keys=fish, kitty!

Hope thats going to work. il need to find some fish soon....
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 08, 2015, 07:22:12 am »

"Oh, hey Amp.  We've met.  I'm from there, in a very roundabout way that I will hopefully explain after we get out of this cavern.  Can't risk FBs nomming on us again.  One question, though, is are you IC or RL.  Because while the Anachron would probably be very useful to have about, what sources I have, have informed me that you're not making nukes."
"The latter is a good thing."
"Also, my forum name on Bay12 in not my MCF name, but that doesn't really matter now we're in-game.  Unless I got dorfed based on that."
I pull out the pieces of a staff from my bag, and put them together.  Each of them could function, in its own right, but I will probably need the big guns.  Except it's a staff.  Well, it's a pointy staff.  That could probably be used as a spear as well.
I pull out and drink another potion, and try and heal some of the more serious but not-life-threatening cases.  Like Amp's leg, and Pyrefly's arm. 
However, I'm not going to be able to potion much more for a while.  There's only so much that a potion can restore till you hit diminishing returns.  And frankly, they taste awful.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 08:49:44 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 08, 2015, 09:40:03 am »

-stray kitten (tame) has adopted Gwol2ki!-

"Come here kitty! Good kitty. Kitty wants fish? Then kitty hunt for cell keys! keys=fish, kitty!

Hope thats going to work. il need to find some fish soon....
...Yes, the cat totally understands you.
*facepalm*
Just serve your time, dude.
/OOC
Sigtext

Pyrefly

• Bay Watcher
  • A large firefly fond of technology and art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 08, 2015, 11:44:05 am »

((Recap please, this exploded.))
She is tall and lanky. Her eyes are brown. Her wing case is black. Her wings are translucent. Her abdomen glows bright yellow.
Pyrefly likes bluejay feathers, flowers, videogames, computers, hydras for their seven heads, cats for their aloofness, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible, she prefers to consume cow steaks and flavored sparkling water. She absolutely detests wasps.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 08, 2015, 11:47:14 am »

((Recap please, this exploded.))
((You have a broken arm apparently, battle is over, medics are moving about.  I just attempted to heal you but the mechanics of healing are...in flux.  So basically, it's going to hurt, but probably repair.))

((Most of this was me debating magic with Amp.  And physics, the existence of, with Gwolfski.))

((Also I made a bunch of references to things only Amp should really know about, but that's not exactly that confusing because I didn't refer to them in such a way as to be particularly confusing about it.))

((Anything before Amp's most recent post and after my failing miserably at math is pretty much irrelevant to the current state of events, in other words.))

« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 11:56:08 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 262