Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 232926 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2015, 09:19:50 am »

((Ok we started with fifteen goblins, how many do we have left? I'm busy so I can't check))
just kill like one more and then be done, remember that there are other dwarves fighting alongside you.

Amperzand: I would, but I'm a busy person, I'll try to post at least once every couple of days.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2015, 09:32:19 am »

((Ok we started with fifteen goblins, how many do we have left? I'm busy so I can't check))
just kill like one more and then be done, remember that there are other dwarves fighting alongside you.

Amperzand: I would, but I'm a busy person, I'll try to post at least once every couple of days.
((k))

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As the goblins fall around endless, struck down by the forts military and aperzands gun, he notices one last goblin, seeing as his prisoner had given into pain he dashed over to the last one.

It was a sword user, no shield. Female, black hair. She wore no brestplate, instead wereing chain mail under a coat.
Endless being genre savvy as he was knew something was of about this lack of armor. So he halted his charge and threw a knife.

She turned around, her eyes closed and batted it out of the air.
Then she lunged. Strikeing out with her blade, attacking so rapidly endless could only scarcely parry.
Not once did she open her eyes.

G-guys! Help!
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2015, 02:35:09 pm »

@4maskwolf A'right. No problem, but I have seen stuff like this where people only remembered to do anything around once a month. I was part of "People" but it must have been annoying as hell for the GM.

I quickly pour the unfortunate remainder of my powder down the left barrel, stuff the +Pig Tail Fiber Bag+ I was carrying it in after it for wadding, and for lack of a better alternative, stick my belt knife in it as a projectile, and pop back up over the rock, looking for the archer, who, I realize a moment later, has been shield rushed and torn apart by my blacksmith friend and the normal militia. Instead the damn' Elf is fighting the first female goblin I've ever seen some twenty meters away, and having severe difficulties. Shit.

Not trusting my crude, underloaded gun and its unconventional projectile from any kind of range, I simply sprint towards the two of them, not wanting to lose one of the few people from Home there are here.

"HEY, YOU! DON'T MOVE OR I BLOW YOU AWAY!

{Not necessarily expecting this to work on a blind-ninja kind of character, but it's worth a try. On a somewhat more fourth-wall-cracking note, how far do you guys want me to take the whole gunpowder and technology arc? Because my inclination is to make a baby Industrial Revolution, but I can think of a lot of reasons you lot wouldn't want me doing that in a normally medieval-stasis'd fantasy world, and that being the case I'm happy sticking to the "Mad Alchemist with his Firestick" thing.}
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 03:59:42 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2015, 07:43:06 pm »

((as far as breaking medieval-stasis goes, I don't mind a bit but I don't really want things like assembly lines. though I think a few handy machines and chemicals are fine....a separator for milk, might be a could example of the things we could do))

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
block, dodge block, block. endless did not even have time to strike.
he ran over all the possible explanations he could conceive of while under pressure.

an artifact that removed the need to see by giving some sort of sixth sense?
a goblin that was determined not to let her blindness stop her from being a great warrior and trained a lot to be able to use sonar in a fight?
total badass that was showing off (and unnerving her foes) by keeping her eyes closed?

"GHA!" a cut on his arm slipping through the gaps in his armor

"OK LESS THINKING MORE FIGHTING"

he heard ampersand shout a warning, telling the goblin to stop fighting or get shot.

the goblin did not obey. aperzand fired, and the goblin just.....leaned to the side, the shot missing her completely. the girl just dogged a bullet.

"...............ok that's awesome, I will give you that."

"thanks, and  nice work surviving this long, most would have died already."

"why are so many of you goblins speaking our language?"

"the higher-ups thought learning about the enemy was a good idea, learning the language made that easier."

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2015, 09:08:07 pm »

I watch my belt knife spiral past the goblin soldier and shatter on a rock as the huge cloud of smoke and smouldering powder from the gun's firing catches her in a noxious firestorm, not particularly injurious, but very unpleasant.

"Can't say I didn't expect that."

I throw the useless gun at the goblin, then leap backwards as the Elf attacks, distracting the goblin long enough for me to get my pickaxe, not perhaps the best tool of war, but very familiar, and comfortable to the hand, unlimbered.

"Feel like surrendering?"

I deflect a series of blows with the head of my pickaxe, then barely avoid injury from a lighting-fast stab, the blade scraping across my chestplate hard enough to knock me onto my hitherto-forgotten arrow'd leg, and therefore badly off balance.

"Dammit! Hah, so no surrender then?"

Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2015, 09:30:58 pm »

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Well, normaly I would say no but......I'm no fool"
The military was closeing in, being the last goblin left the others were runing to help finish her off.
She jumps back, then dashes away. Endless could probably catch her, but he did not want to face her alone.

"Hey amperzand? .....my genre savy senses tell me we will see her again."

-the goblins have been defeated, one escaped, the first battle for the fortress has passed-

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2015, 10:20:57 pm »

"Hah, genre savvy, I haven't heard someone say that since we... Left home. You're right, though, you can practically smell the Narrativium around her."

I walk over and pick up the gun, then look at the sky, the first time I've been above ground in nearly six months.

"I... This has been very strange. I would have told you, a year ago, that I'd go mad, or stir-crazy, or too lazy to live, should something like this happen, but instead I built a Mountain Hall, and re-invented gunpowder, and learned to fight, and killed two people, as regardless of species or intent, they were people."

"I haven't really talked to any of you guys, since... What happened. How's it been, a year in Dwarf Fortress?"

{With regard to technology, while I don't see any major use for assembly lines just now, they can be made quite simply, and actually seem quite dorfy. I was really thinking more stuff like, say, electricity, which I could do, or a fully-gunpowder-equipped military, which I could also do, or even a complete transformation of the setting, via sudden introduction of an Industrial Revolution, which I could, given the two hundred year lifespan of a dwarf, do. I could, given enough time to think, pitchblende, plot-assisted genius, and lead armor, make nukes, for that matter.}
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 12:20:16 am by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2015, 10:56:14 pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Great now you have reminded me that I still need to read the discworld books. Anyways it's not that bad, I was never this strong or fast back home, and most all I did was go to school, then sit around and play games the rest of the day. Here I can run quickly, strike hard, and shape metal. I have to say, it feals good to know I helped build this place up.

......wait.....do you hear that?

Sounds like singing....."
Endless looks out into the distance and is greeted with rather pleasing sight.

An elven caravan.

There are many reasons this is a good thing.

-Even from here endless can tell they brought lots of animals, even a breeding pair of Falcons.
-that elf girl over there is kinda cute
-he could learn more about the elven race, and perhaps more about there culture (to facilitate better trade)
-and of course the animals.

"Hey amperzand. We got a trade depot right?"

((I think I will go back to journal entry soon, probably after the caravan leaves))

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2015, 11:02:43 pm »

4maskwolf heard the stomping of feet on the floors above him and sighed with relief. The siege had finally ended. In all likelihood, there had been some casualties, but he hoped that none of the others had died. Not that he had seen them for a while. They had been so busy with their own projects that there was little time to talk.

With a sigh, he set down his chisel and rubbed his eyes. He should return to the rest of the fortress fairly soon, lest they report him missing and presume him dead. With a sigh, he left the heavily enruned room and climbed the ramp to rejoin the rest of the fortress. Soon it would be his shift on masonry duty, so he planned to get in a quick nap before that started.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2015, 11:11:08 pm »

----------------------------------------------
Endless passed 4maskwolf on the way to his forge, were he kept his crafts, though some were reserved for him self, there was plenty that were made to be trade goods.

"Hey wolf, the siege is over, if you call such a small number a seige anyways. There were no casualties but we have quite a few cuts and bruises. Myself included."

Endless touches his cheek.

"Anyways right after we fought them off I spotted a caravan of elves. They seem to have brought some good stuff, so I plan to trade peacefully. Would you mind helping me with carrying some stuff?"

Without waiting for an answer endless continued walking. After all, he had to get a chain for the prisoner as well. Don't want him wakeing up.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2015, 12:19:00 am »

{I propose that, for ease of composition, posts describing real time events, like battles or conversations, be written in a real-time perspective based manner, while normal posts, of course, shall remain as journal entries, or whatever.}

We just fought off fifteen goblins! The normal dwarves got most of em' but I managed to kill two. Can't say I'm glad I can kill people now, but I don't think I have PTSD or anything.

It would appear that, once the adrenaline and Dwarven Beard Hormones wore off, my escapades with ludicrously overpowered recoil and broadhead arrows have left me in rather bad shape, especially so soon after a broken rib, so I'm writing this from the hospital. Thank whichever gods are listening for actual doctors, rather than the bonesaw-and-pitch quacks of the game this place once was!

My gun worked, but it was inaccurate, overpowered, and unreliable, just being dropped lightly has rendered it inoperable. I'll want better designs, maybe make a sparker of some kind for ignition rather than a shitty matchlock, if I can figure out how, or... Hmm.

Also, while the underground sections of the fortress are really very well done, if I do say so myself, our surface assets are a road, a trade depot, and a big stone door. We don't even have any good archers in the militia to provide fire support... Probably a good thing, don't want master marksmen getting snooty about massed musket fire. Basic fortifications? Cannon?

I have black powder, maybe simple petard-style blasting charges?

Fort pop numbers in the "Game" were limited by system requirements and ease of logistics, how many dwarves will we be getting? Mass-infantry?

The nurse is pretty.

The next several pages consist of technical drawings, shorthand rambling, and maudlin whining.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 12:22:14 am by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2015, 12:50:58 am »

-date unknown-

now then, after the goblins were taken down an even caravan came, right on the same day!

they brought some good stuff, and I traded some metal crafts for too tame falcons (a breading pair) a tame tiger, an tame alligator and a  tame bear.
there were three elves. to men, you could tell they were strong. looked to be swordsmen, but they had bows to.

the girl was about my age, she said that her parents had sent them with her as body guards. "cant be to careful" she said.

I think she might have been flirting with me but what do i know? (she sure was cute)

i got some good info out of her too.

apparently her home civi is called the leaves of water, they have retreats, in forest, jungles, and one in a good forest called the blessed whisper.
they are closely allied with a human group called the jewels of forever.
(note,  angering either group will most likely bring both of them down on us. it is highly recommended for us to maintain good relations)

when they left I asked them if they would be back, and told them that we would want more animals next year. and a few books to.

the guards stayed silent but the girl said she would bring plenty of beast next time around, and that she looked forward to trading with us again.

oh and the goblin prisoner is now chained up with a Very nice platinum chain engraved with a dragon in ruby. i made it myself.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2015, 01:31:33 am »

{@endlessblaze; Incidentally, are you ESL or dyslexic? Not trying to be insulting, but your grammar and spelling are slightly under-par, and I'm a little obsessive about such things.}

I got out of the hospital today, just in time to speak with the Elves, they seemed surprised to meet dwarves that weren't xenophobic.

Apparently the world outside the Mountain Halls has some pretty interesting stuff going on, goddamn isolationist Deep Downers keeping all this stuff classified or some shit.

I asked the female elf about her race's stance on technologies, she seemed surprisingly okay with it once I got her to understand what I meant, barring the obvious hope I don't go stupid and burn everything, which I won't, having grown up on Earth.

Didn't try to get the idea of nuclear science across, hope I never have to. Won't, for that matter, provided none of the others're holding out on me.

Damn glad Dwarves already know how to make coal-coke, otherwise the elves'd have even better reason to hate us.

I got some of the normal miners and stoneworkers to help me work on designs for surface defenses, and after some looking, it turns out we have a siege engineer among the migrants, somebody assigned him to making soap.

I explained some things to him, showed him, the other once-humans, and a couple of higher-ups in the fortress a small black-powder charge, about ten pounds of it stored in a hollow rock.

Hah, BOOM! The normal dwarves though I was magic for about five minutes until I explained what it was.

The next year's gonna be fun.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:33:50 am by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2015, 05:56:07 am »

((No offense taken, but no, I'm not, I just can't spell. Especially at night.))

-date unknown-

Amperzand was a bit worried about it but I told him it was for science!

I got the gun he used in the fight.
Now I know nothing about guns but I know metal.
This thing is cool, and kinda usefull. But it's ....how do I discribe it without sounding rude?

The thing had broken from a little drop.

I think I managed to fix it, and reinforce it. Let's hope the thing doesn't go boom in our faces.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2015, 09:20:07 am »

((Gosh darn it you guys keep posting while I'm offline :P))

Diary Entry of 4maskwolf, date unknown

The teaching is going well, my students are gaining skill rapidly.  In my spare time, I have continued to work on my runecarving, and I feel like I'm getting the hang of the basic runes.  I've spent some amount of time learning some basic metalcrafting so that I can try my hand at enruning weapons: who knows whether it will work, but it's best to always try things.  I've also interacted more with the others, particularly the elf endlessblaze and Amperzand the guncrafter.  They have been drawing more attention recently due to their combat skills, and the dwarves seem interested in their new technologies they are working on.

Diary Entry of 4maskwolf, date unknown

One of the other skilled engravers, a regular dwarf by the name of Bomrek, has taken over teaching duties to give me more time to work on metalcrafting.  My skill is slowly growing, and I've been mostly working with low-value brass and pewter to avoid wasting high-quality materials.

Spoiler: Current Skills (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 262