Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 232573 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #990 on: August 26, 2015, 10:12:13 am »

you didnt see that post, did you?
If you mean:
(gwolfski, one does not re-mention stuff they did not do, especially with smilies while ic... people like you are generally removed or ignored during roleplay for a very good reason.)

that was in my post that was removed when my browser crashed i think
I did see it, but if it isn't there, it didn't happen.
Further discussion should go in OOC.
/null
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: August 26, 2015, 06:52:34 pm »

>Error! Metaknowledge doesn't know what's meant by "Actual Traders"

A pair of burning corpses fall in the upper tiers of the fortress, the white phosphorous coating them sending up a cloud of toxic smoke when the impact splatters it outwards. Droplets of the evil stuff land amid the gunnery crew for the nearest howitzer, forcing them and the crew of another to spend the next little while extinguishing it in an attempt to avoid a munitions explosion.

The other three howitzers fire again, two dropping simple explosive shells on concentrations of troops, one taking advantage of the thrown corpses' smoke trail to drop a shell on the mages who threw them, they perforce having been within the artillery's range to throw something hit by it.

Patham, seeing no viable use for his arcane abilities, leaves his pet to watch the caravan and scales one of the marksmen's towers with more powder and shot to relieve the dwarf operating the main gun, which he turns on targets of his choice.

{Fish, keep in mind that while the gun can be lethal out to around two miles, you almost certainly cannot aim out to two miles without lengthy training. Simple sharpshooting, I'm sure you can accomplish, but taking shots against evasive targets at extreme range is nearly impossible, even for trained, computer-assisted snipers.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: August 26, 2015, 08:16:21 pm »

>Error! Metaknowledge doesn't know what's meant by "Actual Traders"

A pair of burning corpses fall in the upper tiers of the fortress, the white phosphorous coating them sending up a cloud of toxic smoke when the impact splatters it outwards. Droplets of the evil stuff land amid the gunnery crew for the nearest howitzer, forcing them and the crew of another to spend the next little while extinguishing it in an attempt to avoid a munitions explosion.

The other three howitzers fire again, two dropping simple explosive shells on concentrations of troops, one taking advantage of the thrown corpses' smoke trail to drop a shell on the mages who threw them, they perforce having been within the artillery's range to throw something hit by it.

Patham, seeing no viable use for his arcane abilities, leaves his pet to watch the caravan and scales one of the marksmen's towers with more powder and shot to relieve the dwarf operating the main gun, which he turns on targets of his choice.

{Fish, keep in mind that while the gun can be lethal out to around two miles, you almost certainly cannot aim out to two miles without lengthy training. Simple sharpshooting, I'm sure you can accomplish, but taking shots against evasive targets at extreme range is nearly impossible, even for trained, computer-assisted snipers.}
((Detect Magic.))
Using Detect Magic to plot shots and some computational assistance from Spark, I open fire at the mages next fling.
Spark continues Detect Magicking to watch the caravan.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: August 26, 2015, 08:22:57 pm »

{The issue is not knowing who to shoot, though that helps, but figuring out how the wind, bullet drop, and weapon spread will effect the bullet's landing, with an almost untested gun you've never fired before, towards enemies who will almost certainly be moving around.}

Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: August 26, 2015, 08:26:37 pm »

{The issue is not knowing who to shoot, though that helps, but figuring out how the wind, bullet drop, and weapon spread will effect the bullet's landing, with an almost untested gun you've never fired before, towards enemies who will almost certainly be moving around.}
((Like I said, magic computer, yes?))
((How much ammo do I have?))
Sigtext

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: August 26, 2015, 08:55:06 pm »

(I have to say the damage is rather underwhelming for having two corpses coated in toxic and flamable materials tossed on one or two howitzers, which are also loaded with/put near explosives. On the same note, the mages are still out of range of the mortars, unless you moved them outside the fortress?)
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: August 26, 2015, 09:13:39 pm »

{The howitzers are mounted in a very stationary manner. The corpses themselves were mostly splattered with the stuff, not coated in it, but still sprayed droplets over a large area. There are likely a number of injuries, in addition to nasty effects from inhaling the stuff, and a moment's less work by the two gun-crews who won't be firing for quite a while now would have killed a large portion of the people nearby, including the merchants, what with spraying the phosphor from the gun's other ammunition everywhere. I logically assumed that to throw the corpses, at least a few of the mages would need to be fairly near them, unless they're wasting even more energy by casting high-powered throw spells at a distance.

Fish, consider yourself to have functionally unlimited ammunition, but the gun takes nearly a minute to reload after each shot. Said magic computer isn't near you, and therefore isn't really in a position to act as a spotter.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: August 26, 2015, 09:31:57 pm »

{The howitzers are mounted in a very stationary manner. The corpses themselves were mostly splattered with the stuff, not coated in it, but still sprayed droplets over a large area. There are likely a number of injuries, in addition to nasty effects from inhaling the stuff, and a moment's less work by the two gun-crews who won't be firing for quite a while now would have killed a large portion of the people nearby, including the merchants, what with spraying the phosphor from the gun's other ammunition everywhere. I logically assumed that to throw the corpses, at least a few of the mages would need to be fairly near them, unless they're wasting even more energy by casting high-powered throw spells at a distance.

Fish, consider yourself to have functionally unlimited ammunition, but the gun takes nearly a minute to reload after each shot. Said magic computer isn't near you, and therefore isn't really in a position to act as a spotter.}
((Said magic computer is telepathically linked to my brain.))
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: August 26, 2015, 10:34:27 pm »

{I wouldn't normally recommend doing so to that degree, but all right. Sniping at long range is hard, and usually requires years of training. I mean, subjectively, you're shooting at a pinprick from two miles away, and the gun probably isn't even pointed at what you want to hit. Still, do what you will.}

{I'd prefer to move on with the action.}

{Also, is Murdoc still listening? He's not locked out of this by any means.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: August 26, 2015, 10:39:26 pm »

Anyway, I try and shoot the enemy magi.
If I can, I attempt to manipulate things in my favor with small pressure events.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 11:06:00 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: August 27, 2015, 03:18:35 am »

The gun discharges with a sudden and deafening boom, filling the air before you with thick gray smoke and causing the reinforced metal railing to groan ominously.

The slug fired, a round-nosed lead cylinder a little more than an inch across, with a slight left-hand spin and a hollow, slightly flared back end, weighs about four ounces and is currently traveling at one hundred and seventy-three-point-five-two percent of the speed of sound, leaving a sharp snapping noise in the air behind it in the short time it takes to travel the two-point-three miles from the muzzle of the gun to the torso of an unlucky mercenary, who is suddenly struck backwards as if by a massive hammer, a single, perfectly round hole in the front of his armor, and a considerable cone of gore, shattered bone, and tiny, still-incredibly-high-velocity fragments of lead erupting from his back.

A single, particularly large specimen of such fragments flies another ten feet to embed itself in the cheek of a hostile caster. Perhaps next time you'll get luckier, that one was right on target until it got out of your influential range. Now to reload.

It is at this point that the first of the advancing undead encounter the fortress' minefield, beginning some five hundred meters from the walls in all directions. A small, loosely-spread group of five or six zombies dully notice an unusual humming sound in the fractions of a second before the earth beneath their feet erupts in fire and a storm of shrapnel tears everything within fifteen feet into bloody shreds. Five kilograms of dynamite throwing a large sack of scrap metal into its general vicinity tends to be rather destructive.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 03:20:20 am by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: August 27, 2015, 06:32:16 am »

*at this point, the stranger would signal the mercenaries, who would approach the edge of their accomadations, would rush out, and start heading up the battlements with a suicidal fervor, killing any dwarf unlucky enough to get in the way of their charge, while the stranger looks around and tries to go for the gate leading deeper into the fortress*
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:36:40 am by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: August 27, 2015, 11:30:54 am »

At which point Spark attempts to cook them with what amounts to a direct transfer of heat from several days' worth of stored energy to their armor, making sure to fry the stranger if at all possible.
Up on the battlements, my alert device goes off.
I pull out my staff and charge it with the battery stored in the battlements (Sorry about kinda asspulling that, but it is a viable point to place a mana battery at, as long as you make sure enemy casters can't use it.).
It crackles a bit.  Looks like the electropike's enchant is working.
"Heh.  You're in for a shock."
"For Armok, you poor saps."
I advance to a chokepoint, and if I manage to hit any mercenaries, they get a nice blast of electricity to go with their knockback.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 11:37:03 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: August 27, 2015, 05:41:36 pm »

*while one of the mercenaries would go down from being cooked, spark would be struck down and trampled in the bull rush, leaving several mercenaries aflame and disturbingly, laughing. they would continue their charge up the battlements, though his electropike would stun them temporarily and delay their charge up that part of the battlements. the stranger would be nowhere to be seen, and there would be no signs of magic at play aside from the mercenaries, who would seem to be ignoring all pain in their charge. it would seem that objects are not the only thing that can be enchanted...*

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: August 27, 2015, 08:59:10 pm »

No.  Spark would not be trampled, because Spark can fly.
Also, Spark is prioritizing the threat that's going INTO the fort so right now he's either chasing after you or unleashing fire at you.
"Goddamit, PAIN RESIST?  GO FOR THE HEAD, ALL!  IF NOT, KNEECAPS!"
I switch the battery's power tap from the staff to myself, taking a defensive stance while I use kinetic energy to hopefully apply force directly to the enemy's brains.
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 262