Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 232692 times)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #810 on: August 12, 2015, 01:17:49 pm »

"Well....that was interesting......"
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: August 12, 2015, 01:43:13 pm »

(Alternatively, it could go worse, and turn all shoggoth like. What fun that would be.)
Among the mess of burnt flesh and metal, would be a shredded corpse of a creeping eye, along with some strangely intact pages from a book of some sort. apparantly, someone was trying to send a message.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 01:52:28 pm by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: August 12, 2015, 02:32:12 pm »

Spark notices the book pages and investigates.
I watch.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: August 12, 2015, 03:38:03 pm »

{On the one hand, there isn't so much a burnt mess as a plain of still-very-hot volcanic glass, but on the other I'm willing to accept that you warded the message enough to let it survive, since you would have to expect us to kill the scoutzed. Minor handwave there, since I doubt you would have reason  to expect an assault of this magnitude, but hey. Also, necromantic energy won't be pulling shit this overpowered every time you try to mishandle it, it's fairly unpredictable that way, especially in a place with this much narrativium. ...Carry on.}

Incidentally, here's a minidop for the stuffs Fish tried to do.

Spark snatches a heavy steel wrench and, unsteadily, flies it to the Skalewyrm {Are we cool with this name to distinguish it? I'm not very good at names, and therefore open to suggestions}, before dropping the thing from out of reach. The huge steel thing casually grabs the morsel out of midair, and it is swallowed with alacrity, along with the sound of steel being ground into dust.

Patham reaches a sort of internal wakefulness, but cannot muster enough fortitude to rouse himself fully. These nightmares don't want you to leave, not just yet.

Abruptly, seeming to realize what the little construct was trying to do, the Beast raises its head to Spark's level and sends an impossibly dense packet of information, much of it quite alien in structure. Nothing comprehensible, other than a general impression of wary amicability and lingering hate on the very surface, the simplest and outmost layer.

A few surviving pages of paper amidst molten ruin. What do they hold?

{Ah, heh. You can apparently kill a shoggoth with small arms fire, if you try hard enough. While I'll admit I don't have a clear idea of what would have been, because I thought of it only in context of "What can I write that sounds scary enough to be worth obliteration-by-Wyrm", this thing would have been a lot nastier than that.}

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 03:40:52 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: August 12, 2015, 05:08:02 pm »

(You forget that a shoggoth is technically a Living abomination, not a undead one.)
The pages would be made from pulped nether cap, explaining their surprising survivability. On the other hand, the ink itself would have been damaged from the shear heat, leaving it nearly illegible as is. It would take some time to try and decipher the pages, time which they currently dont have available due to their goal.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 05:11:54 pm by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: August 12, 2015, 09:02:15 pm »

{With shit like Necromorphs or R-Series Infected, the distinction is far from clear. Shoggoths, on the other hand, could be anything from immense single-cell predators to rogue nanoswarms built by the Old Ones and maddened by a few million years of neglect.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: August 12, 2015, 10:01:10 pm »

==Internal Logs: Spark==
Data packet received from designate Other/Possible Related Origin Skalewyrm
Data packet stored
Initiating analysis
Surface analysis concludes feelings "gratitude" and "lingering dislike"
Report filed to designate Familiar Bonded Netpatham.
Continuing analysis.
==Netpatham's Mindscape==
"Awh, bloody carnival.  Stuck here for a while, then.  Best pass the time."
"Heh, maybe I should get in touch with my grimdark side.  Figure out some ways to SAFELY use that stuff.  Or at least convert it to things that can be safely used on the fly.  Existing rituals require..."
*you have mail!*
"Huh."
I pull out a pen and draft a reply back. 
>Carry on.  If you can successfully grasp the language, it would help immensely.
I fold it into a paper airplane and throw it.  It launches off to Spark, while I return to my work.
"Where was I.  Oh, existing rituals..."
I start drawing thaumic field diagrams.
==The Cave==
Netpatham seems to, despite still being asleep, be consciously processing something.
Spark also appears to be thinking.
>>Hm.  I just received an immense packet of data.  Well, time to translate that.<<
>>It would help immensely should you not disturb either of us while this goes on.  At least, minimize the degree of such.  Netpatham is currently pondering some ways to make such corrupted energy safer to use, whilst I am trying to translate what I just got.<<
>>Meanwhile, do allow me to see those pages, I can probably render a readable version given time, and possibly some extra processors.  I shall bother you about technical specifications on that later.<<
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 10:19:00 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: August 12, 2015, 11:39:15 pm »

{Hache, I'm leaving the pages to you, if it wasn't clear. They're your message.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: August 12, 2015, 11:46:28 pm »

(and I am saying that it will be clarified after the exciting bits are done, and we get into the journal parts. obviously the rest of the world won't have access to a necromancer's journal so easy.. unless he ripped pages out of it.)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: August 13, 2015, 12:09:43 am »

(and I am saying that it will be clarified after the exciting bits are done, and we get into the journal parts. obviously the rest of the world won't have access to a necromancer's journal so easy.. unless he ripped pages out of it.)
((Yeah, most of the exciting bits are over anyway.  Just getting the FB de-sharded.  And there's what essentially amounts to a magical AI looking into the papers.  I'm not saying it's like the Post Office reader, but it can probably crank out the results quickly and above all accurately.))
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: August 13, 2015, 01:02:11 am »

{I was gonna make a minidop for the shard's removal, and then I realized I'm not currently smart enough to write good updops. Sorry.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: August 13, 2015, 01:40:40 am »

{I was gonna make a minidop for the shard's removal, and then I realized I'm not currently smart enough to write good updops. Sorry.}
((What?  You, not smart?  Nah.  Sleep-deprived, sure, I'll go for that.  But unsmart?  No roboticist can possibly be that not smart.  ;P))
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: August 13, 2015, 02:24:24 am »

{One, you didn't meet some of the guys, two, my level of intelligence actually fluctuates a remarkable amount from one day to the next, you'd be surprised.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: August 13, 2015, 08:00:19 am »

{One, you didn't meet some of the guys, two, my level of intelligence actually fluctuates a remarkable amount from one day to the next, you'd be surprised.}
(Being a night shift worker, i can relate. It feels like my memory and calculative planning go downhill over the course of a night. By morning, my brain is rarely functional enough to remember my own name, and muscle memory is what is driving me home.)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: August 13, 2015, 03:40:00 pm »

{Incidentally, I'll be gone for four days starting tomorrow. So I'll update us out of this scenario in a few hours and y'all can get to journal-ing while I'm MIA.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 262