Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 232713 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #765 on: August 09, 2015, 10:42:00 pm »

It would, but I mentally grab hold and yank on the magic, dislodging it from the zombies (I hope), and quickly carve a couple extra glyphs on the extant energy type conversion device, hopefully allowing the conversion of necromantically-minded energies into something I'm more comfortable working with.  Either way, I dump the energy into a battery (because they're really system-agnostic, it's just that technomancers have bigger ones (e.g. Conjure Mana Gem, that kind of stuff for other systems, but you have to have the gem first and it's not used up), and prepare to blast something back along the channel.  To that end, I perform a more directed probe after making sure what mental, thaumic, and physical safeguards I have that work in this low-magic environment are active.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 09, 2015, 11:13:20 pm »

It would, but I mentally grab hold and yank on the magic, dislodging it from the zombies (I hope), and quickly carve a couple extra glyphs on the extant energy type conversion device, hopefully allowing the conversion of necromantically-minded energies into something I'm more comfortable working with.  Either way, I dump the energy into a battery (because they're really system-agnostic, it's just that technomancers have bigger ones (e.g. Conjure Mana Gem, that kind of stuff for other systems, but you have to have the gem first and it's not used up), and prepare to blast something back along the channel.  To that end, I perform a more directed probe after making sure what mental, thaumic, and physical safeguards I have that work in this low-magic environment are active.
While it would fail to de-animate the chunks of already animate troglodyte, and would scathe his mind with malevolent squick, he would be able to at the very least contain the corrupt energy still in the air into a unstable battery for the moment.
 Unfortunately, as the direction the energy came from is vague at best, with no way of judgeing the distance it came from, it would be impossible to blast it back along the path it took. Add in the fact the zombified limbs are working autonomously, with the only goal being  to kill all living things, there is no way to extend the trace to a necromancer giving orders.
The end result is a ticking time bomb of corrupt energy in a battery, a large number of  partially zombified troglodytes, and a general direction as to where the necromancer attacked from.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 09, 2015, 11:27:38 pm »

No, it ISN'T, because other than what you're pumping in, NO MAJJYKS HERE.  Necro could selfsus before.  It can't now.  A simple push spell fails, RN, so yeah.  Also, how the heck do you store energy if you don't use the generic battery, or something implementing the general pattern thereof?

Amp, GM duty compels you to answer one way or another on the tracing issue, but as this is a relatively major expenditure, unlike Eye Spy before the magic went out...Heck, Eye Spy, if you managed to get the drop on it, would have a VERY good chance of being a link right back to the guy's mind.  You look through it, it's an extension of you.

But seriously, there has to be AT LEAST the same region granularity as he just hit, simply by tracing the energy path back, more if you consider that the origin point is in the end a single person and they will instinctively cast from their position as an origin point and size.  Magic has to travel, even if it does so instantaneously, and it's not even doing that.  And it would leave a trail.  Especially with a detailed probe.  With a simple probe...Not necessarily.

Either way, we probably need Amp moderating this one.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 10, 2015, 03:44:44 am »

{I wrote this response out here for convenience, then movepasta'd it to the OOC thread. In general, if it's entirely OOC and more than six lines long, put it over there, I guarantee I'll read it.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 10, 2015, 01:49:47 pm »

=Completely nullifying my previous actions==
I pull out a very...Weighted...staff and start bashing the zombies into a pulp.
Cleanup can wait a few.
Meanwhile, not dying takes precedence.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 05:50:28 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 10, 2015, 06:50:50 pm »

{Just going to point out that you did actually built the electrohalberd. It won't be charged anymore, but it's a runic polearm rather than a bonky stick.}

{Also, to make runes more viable in this environment, I'm going to say that they actually alter the composition of the augmented object, which makes the less active effects, such as durability, continue to work even when the magic turns off. Obviously they can't pull lightning from nowhere, though.}

"Wait, zombies? What the hell?"

I raise the Rattler to a firing position and begin systematically emptying the 32-round magazine in a series of bursts, 10x25mm hollow-points fired at a fairly sluggish eight rounds a second blowing ragged holes in the fleshier undead, ruining muscle tissue and shattering bone. The ones that hit. This thing isn't very precise, and I'm not very experienced at handling full-auto recoil.

{For reference, this thing amounts to a sten submachine gun loaded with musket balls. It blows large holes, but can't hit a barn and jams every five seconds, plus the powder is shit and gets everything filthy.}

Halfway through the last burst, the weapon jams, a badly bent cartridge wedged into the action, with unburnt powder gumming up various bits.

"Dammit, no time to fix that."

Sarvesh and his squaddie discharge their muskets into the crowd, then draw a blunderaxe and a mace, respectively.

"Form up around the beast's flank, it'll keep em' off us from the other side!"
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 10:18:42 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 10, 2015, 07:48:57 pm »

((Squishing zombies is better than chopping them into animate pieces.))
"Yep.  Necro to the northeast.  Not responsible for the ambient issues though."
Sigtext

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 10, 2015, 08:02:53 pm »

*while some shots and strikes would successfully deanimate the undead, most of the shots hitting center mass would fail to do anything, implying that it is not the whole corpse being animated, though the force of the impact would stumble or knock down the ones that managed to stand. The horde would continue creeping forward, at a slower pace due to the lowered amount of standing undead*
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 08:09:02 pm by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 10, 2015, 08:25:13 pm »

"Dammit, seriously? More issues? At least he'll slow down whatever comes from the East."

I back up to the rest of the group, quickly switching to my mining pick. The thing has a tungsten head, it should be fairly effective.

The zombies come on surprisingly quickly, those who can still walk.[/font]

Sarvesh and the squaddie manage another round of musket fire before the things close to melee range.

{As I see it, if they're still all fleshy, they're using their tendons and muscles to move. Center mass won't do much, but put a burst of hollow-points or a 20mm low velocity musket ball through their pelvis and they stop being able to walk.}
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 10:19:44 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 10, 2015, 08:41:45 pm »

(Except some are crawling.. Or rolling.. Or using a arm to walk in place of a second leg...)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: August 10, 2015, 09:02:22 pm »

When their bones are pulp, they can't do a darn thing.
Mash.  Mash.  Mash the zombies.  Into fleshy pulp.
(To the tune of Row, Row, Row Your Boat)
Grab on to some of the necro energy, using the staff instead of my head, and turn some of the zombies against other zombies.
The mace/staff/whatever-this-thing-actually-is is surprisingly effective, given that it's a mace/staff/whatever-it-is.  Probably due to the lasting glyphic effects, such as what effectively amounts to all of the staff's mass being, somehow, concentrated towards the whacking ends of the stick and the increase in broken bones.  Also the staff has a heavy core to begin with.

The fighting style has a lot of Darth Maul type stuff, suggesting that should this particular object have more power, it would have more effects.  It is still a strong weapon, and it may be getting somewhat stronger by sapping energy from the targets on contact.

Should it accumulate enough energy to do so, I unleash a Drain Magic spell through the staff. 

Staves and Wands: Ways to safely channel more power, or power you're not comfortable letting anywhere near your brain, these magical objects are generally crafted by the person who uses said object and stuffed full of whatever things said magus can possibly include, although the vernacular uses the same word to refer to imbued objects ((spells-in-a-stick wands)), which do tend to take the same shapes.

Staves and wands work through a sympathetic process, where the wielder, having established a bond with the item in question, can implant spell structures and have the object itself draw upon local or distant mana sources without affecting the magus.  Note, however, that the effects of any intentionally sabotaged energy might spread along the caster-staff link, albeit in a diluted form, should the caster have to actively link the source to the staff.

((I...May or may not be avoiding that last sentence.))
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 11:37:33 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3 [CHAOS INTENSIFIES]
« Reply #776 on: August 10, 2015, 11:38:23 pm »

Big edits alert.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 12:10:26 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: August 11, 2015, 01:20:12 am »

When their bones are pulp, they can't do a darn thing.
Mash.  Mash.  Mash the zombies.  Into fleshy pulp.
(To the tune of Row, Row, Row Your Boat)
Grab on to some of the necro energy, using the staff instead of my head, and turn some of the zombies against other zombies.
The mace/staff/whatever-this-thing-actually-is is surprisingly effective, given that it's a mace/staff/whatever-it-is.  Probably due to the lasting glyphic effects, such as what effectively amounts to all of the staff's mass being, somehow, concentrated towards the whacking ends of the stick and the increase in broken bones.  Also the staff has a heavy core to begin with.

The fighting style has a lot of Darth Maul type stuff, suggesting that should this particular object have more power, it would have more effects.  It is still a strong weapon, and it may be getting somewhat stronger by sapping energy from the targets on contact.

Should it accumulate enough energy to do so, I unleash a Drain Magic spell through the staff. 

Staves and Wands: Ways to safely channel more power, or power you're not comfortable letting anywhere near your brain, these magical objects are generally crafted by the person who uses said object and stuffed full of whatever things said magus can possibly include, although the vernacular uses the same word to refer to imbued objects ((spells-in-a-stick wands)), which do tend to take the same shapes.

Staves and wands work through a sympathetic process, where the wielder, having established a bond with the item in question, can implant spell structures and have the object itself draw upon local or distant mana sources without affecting the magus.  Note, however, that the effects of any intentionally sabotaged energy might spread along the caster-staff link, albeit in a diluted form, should the caster have to actively link the source to the staff.

((I...May or may not be avoiding that last sentence.))
*the staff would not absorb any energy from the undead, but with the staff acting as a medium, he is able to draw the fairly sizable ammount of energy out of the battery from before, where it would start to change the staff and /absorb/ the flesh and bone knocked free from each strike along with some of the energy now in the staff, transforming it slowly with each blow and acting as a way to prevent a explosion of necromantic energy without having his brain turned to a pile of squick. 1/10th of the horde would have been deanimated*

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 11, 2015, 11:47:22 am »

((It's a contact Drain Magic spell that's powered by the magic it's draining.  Theoretically I could block thrown spells with this thing.  I probably won't, though, because if there's enough magic to throw spells, I can block them more conventionally.))
Sigtext

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 11, 2015, 12:32:15 pm »

((It's a contact Drain Magic spell that's powered by the magic it's draining.  Theoretically I could block thrown spells with this thing.  I probably won't, though, because if there's enough magic to throw spells, I can block them more conventionally.))
(Please stop trying to drain it right out of them. It's not going to work because it is basically taking the place their soul would, if their soul was locallised into roughly 1 out of every two limbs. Ya can't rip the souls out of people yet by yourself, now can you?)
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 262