Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 232934 times)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2015, 07:21:19 am »

(you know in the original bay12 was a mountain hall it took quite a while for there to be any plot to it....I was expecting this to last at least 3o pages before we had even the semblance of a plot, but now the two of you with your magic questions and your rock, have triggered my urge to add some form of side goal.)

-date unknown-

I have been working on more knives, I will not rest until everyone in this fort is armed with at least a set of 10. well I will but the point remains....

I heard about some incident in the mines, and odd purple rock that would not break, and when it did, something happened.
its a shame I don't think its the same thing I am thinking of-wait.....there is no rock like that in dwarf fortress...so maybe something else that does not belong here....

I need to go find a map....

-date unknown-

I am now both utterly ecstatic, and filled with dread....

corruption, and crimson.... darkness and blood.....
why is this here?  this is not of dwarf fortress. and while the sphere overall might produce something similar as good and evil lands are replaced with sphere based areas.....this has all the markings of....

im going to need more gear....

(the writing here Is replaced by scribbles and crude sketches, they seem to be of possible tactics, and armor designs)
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2015, 10:42:46 pm »

Holy shit. I have no idea what that was, but nearly burned my beard off avoiding it.

A magic purple rock that burned fifty tons of stone like kindling? Was he messing with some weird isotope of Iridium or something?

Blaze's been workin' on all sortsa' military stuff, I should get in touch with him, we could help one another.

Well, I'm not going near that big melted chamber until I know it's not radioactive, but we could use it for a cistern or something.

For now I'm digging a route around it.

{{I certainly support an overarching plot, and will aid and abet any such effort.}}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2015, 01:35:04 am »

((Gotta let it develop, mang))
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2015, 02:34:14 pm »

{{Indeed.}}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2015, 07:07:26 pm »

{{...Guys. Post more. Seriously, random IC BS is the expected norm.}}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2015, 07:20:16 pm »

Over the first several days, worms raining from the ceiling became an increasing problem in the rooms dug out of soil. The seemed to dry out in smelly piles, but sometimes they made it all the way to the stairwell first.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2015, 07:34:44 pm »

"Damn worms, always sliming up the place.  Gotta get rid of 'em before they become a problem," 4maskwolf grumbled as he picked up another worm and threw it into the refuse stockpile.  "Too damn many of them, that's the problem.  Where the hell is everyone else and why aren't they helping me pick up this mess?"

((Sorry guys I'm really tired, I'll try something more substantial tomorrow))

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2015, 12:34:04 am »

Date Forgotten

So, over the past few days or weeks, this elf pansy has been running around "mining" and a few days he goes into a strange mood and comes out with an artifact magical sword! I tell you, he's trying to take my spot as Military Commander! This won't do at all, I need that sword and I need my position as military commander. This is why I have come up with a cunning plan... You see Mr. Diary as I have already told you I have become a carpenter in my spare time to keep away boredom, because of this I have a great control over who gets what beds, this all links back to the plan. You see, what I am going to do is tell everyone that 'endlessblaze' requires a special bed for all his hard work, this bed will be special, but in a nasty way. What will happen is that when 'endlessblaze' lies down on it a ridiculous amount of sharpened spikes will poke out and tear his flesh to shreds! After this, I will of course, appear greatly saddened and remark that the only way to make up for my shame is to take up his sword and protect the fort. And this, my dear diary, is my cunning plan.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2015, 12:30:02 pm »

-date unknown-
Uggghhhh...worms.....

Anyways, I spoke to some dwarfs today, I asked them about what they know, as the cursed lands. Or as I know them, the Crimson and the corruption.

What they spoke of and showed me in crude drawings confirmed it was indeed thise fields of blood and shadow.

The eaters of souls, the crimera. The face monsters and blood crawlers. All there....

They said the cursed lands appeared about three years ago. In the center of an old castle. And rapidly spread, before coming to a stop.
Apparently when the humans of the castle realized the danger of the odd grass and stone they fled, and the castle fell into disrepair. I asked about things that might be found in a jungle. There was no mention of man eating plants so that is clear at least.

But the next thing that happened removed any doubt from  my mind.

One of the dwarfs, a old wrinkled man. Took from his pocket a dark purple stone, covered in small valleys and cracks. Apparently his son had braved the dangers of the cursed land  it had nearly cost him his life and he vowed to never go back there.

This was ebonstone. Corrupted stone, thankfully it seems the spirts of light and dark are still sealed (or perhaps they are not in this world at all?) and the stone cannot spread its darkness to any thing, as long as the spirts stay sealed the coruption and Crimson can only spread on grass, and can even be blocked by large sunflowers. But a patch of stone is enough.

I wonder.....is there any reason we would ever need to release the spirts? Pha. That would be a hard task. If the demons of dwarf fortress are here then good luck getting to that thing!

But regardless...we need to armor up. I to be able to raid the cursed lands.

I want that stone, I want those scales, I want those samples of flesh. I want that ore.

But I want us to survive so training and arming up takes priority.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2015, 10:31:08 pm »

{{Terraria? ...I'd rather not, but hey.}}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2015, 05:50:34 am »

{{Terraria? ...I'd rather not, but hey.}}

((Why not? It's kinda dwarfy when you think about it. You armor up with metal from mineing. Then you go fight giant monsters and craft armor and weapons out of there insides.))

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2015, 01:49:26 pm »

((Not gonna lie, it kinda reminds me of MTG and Doctor Who being shoved in for little reason.))

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2015, 03:24:50 pm »

{{Have they been? Or are you making reference to something else? Anyway, in my case, I simply don't think Terraria has a very Dorfy feel.}}

I managed to get one of the... Well, I suppose "Local" is the right term, blacksmiths to give me some iron tubing, a couple bits of spring, and some other miscellaneous scrap metal, plus a log from one of the stockpiles. I'm not calling this an "Inspired Artifact" and claiming a workshop for a month, but now I can work on the mechanical side of things in my spare time.

Made some good progress with that, finished another few bedrooms in the digsite.

Found a natural cistern today, just off the room we had planned for a kitchen, pure water, some seaweed-ish stuff, a few weird fish.

Charcoal, brimstone, saltpeter. The ratio is hard.

Today I managed to get a composition that blew up! Not very much, mind, but it made a nice little foomp!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 06:39:53 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2015, 08:03:12 pm »

((Happened in the first thread, the fortress collapsed....it was beautiful. It was sometimes refred to as the age of !!CHAOS!! But don't worry, I'm not going to go full out terraria, all bosses will be replaced or removed, we won't be constantly throwing ourselves into them coruption just for some ebonstone brick to build a house. I intend to keep the game dwarfforrtress at the core. Mantle and surface. The terraria is just a little forest.))

-date unknown-

Kinves-check
Targets-check
Children-check check and triple check.

Five kids, five sets of ten knives, five targets, and enough open space to not stab anyone.

The mothers were worried, and the fathers were skeptical. The biggest challenge were the kids themselves...or at least would have been for someone who had a hard time with them. At first they were more interested in there games, but by makeing the target practice like a game and also telling them about how one day they could be great warriors and that this would help them then, it was easy to get them to listen to safety instructions (kept it short to hold the attention) I got them throwing knives, I still need to forge some for the adults but right now I'm supervising.

Timmy just scored a hit And-

Ok so I'm back I had to remind Timmy to wait until everyones knives were thrown to go get them.

The kids are doing well for the first time throwing knives, I wonder if throwing rocks in there games have helped.

Some of the parents are watching now, they look kinda relieved that no one is getting hurt, and also they seem happy there kids are learning something useful (and fun to, they love comparing there scores.)

I should practice to, I don't want them to get ahead of me, but right now I'm just going to watch. Don't want them to get hurt after all.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2015, 04:02:38 pm »

{{...GUYS!}}

I found what I'm pretty sure is native platinum. Wealth!

Black powder is hard. Pretty sure I've got it, but... Grahh.

My test batch just caught a light and blew up on me, blasted out the walls of my room, burned most of my stuff, and proved that the last formula is perfect. Hell yeah.

Now to get medical help for these burns and what seems to be a broken rib.

The Elf's training a bunch of the normals to fight with knives and such. Huh.

A couple of the "Normal" dwarves are accomplished doctors, hella better at it then anyone I got when this was just a game. I'll probably survive my minor injuries.

Have to remember to let some bread get moldy some time, that could be damn useful.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 262