Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 232837 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #615 on: July 18, 2015, 04:42:14 am »

((Aaaand I'm just going to say done and post something later.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 18, 2015, 06:21:22 am »

The fortress has been quiet in the last month.

A blessed rest from fire and ruin, as craftsdwarves and doctors rebuild what can be rebuilt and bring an end to what cannot. The New Staircase went up with remarkable speed, its pillar slightly further from the main fortress than the first, but thicker by far, and composed of harder stone.

An elevator shaft is being built alongside, toughened against all stresses, while workers galvanize the pillar from without using great bands of iron.

Those few warriors who still function make cautious progress through the rubble, ash, mazelike crevasses and tangled, half-dead fungal undergrowth that comprises the half-kilometer to the epicenter of the disaster, where a kingdom's ransom- or an economy's demise -in diamond awaits their avarice and the scientists' curiosity.

A captured beast remains in darkness and confusion, its captors gone, its cell cracked.

In the fortress above, ever-greater advancements are made in the art of death, first a sub-machine gun of sorts, bulky, unreliable, but effective and easily-upgraded, then, with the brilliance of chemists and some modicum of knowledge from another world entirely, a new explosive compound. A syrupy fluid, so sensitive to impacts as to detonate violently when shaken too thoroughly. A simple innovation, albeit one that took some time for other realms, leads the syrup to be packed with absorbent clay powder, forming comparatively-stable cylinders of explosive, requiring a smaller, more volatile charge to detonate at all.

The Newcomer technomage creates something wonderful, a construct of gems and magic best displayed by its creator, while the Rune-Workers, one wounded and the other recruited as an impromptu doctor for his limited knowledge in the field, make new breakthroughs in their delicate new art of compound symbolism.

A prodigy engineer working with the elevator constructors finds increasingly effective ways of completing the tasks at hand.

The odd firefly-thing that appeared on the eve of disaster heals from her wounds, chitin's unusual methods of healing slowing the process and necessitating brief hibernation, likely already at an end.

An unnamed Scotsman, his scholar's trappings left unused at the foot of his bed, seems unwakeable, his comatose state caused by nothing more or less than his own mind.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 18, 2015, 01:30:04 pm »

((Amazing.))
I step out of the workshop, with leisure in my step for the first time in a month.
Following me is what would probably be a forgotten beast.  If I hadn't single-handedly crafted it from ruby, steel, nether cap and two perfect cut diamonds.
This is an artifact ruby dragonhawk familiar.  It menaces with spikes of ruby.  It menaces with spikes of steel.  Beware its powerful wings!  Beware its fiery breath!  Beware its effects upon the fragile world!  ((Magical-ness.))
==The Mess Hall==
"I cannot believe I crafted this.  Even as I left myself notes.  I cannot."
The half-meter-or-so long wyrm perches on a nearby chair, absorbing the sights and sounds of an unfamiliar would.
"Construct magic, familiar bonds, arcane logic that would normally go into a massive construction packed into a cute little one-and-a-half foot package."
"Wow."
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 01:33:26 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 18, 2015, 01:43:43 pm »

{The writing's easy, it's finding the inclination that's difficult, and I've been both tired and doing other things the last few days. Other things which require my computer to only have one application open, which isn't firefox.}

"Holy shit, Net. That is rather notably impressive. Does it do anything particularly interesting?"

I appear very surprised, having not had time to look in on your workshop.

"I should get me one of these 'Moods', I could use a random impossible artifact AN-94 assault rifle or something."

{Also, because there are at least three ways to do fire-breath I can think of, how does this one work? I.e; Like a little blowtorch, short-range- ~1/2 meter -cone of burn-through-steel, or tiny napalm tank, where it acts like a squirtgun for liquid fire, or just normal fire, where it basically exhales more fire than it should be able to fit?}

« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 01:49:07 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 18, 2015, 02:40:11 pm »

((Video games, or robots?))
((Re: Fire: Um...Exhaling more fire than possible because magic.  I suppose it kind of could focus the fire better (because magic blowtorch) if needed.))
"Fire.  Lots of fire, according to my notes.  Frankly impossible amounts of fire that could not and probably should not exist in this little one here."
"I should name...You know, I never did think about whether an artifact artificial dragon construct made of magic and gemstones would be male or female.  Huh.  Oh well."
"As for moods..."
"Good luck.  They come at random, and I'm not sure what hit me was even a mood.  Felt more like an inspiration particle.  As I said at the time, but it has been a while."
((Also, I've figured out a way that the fire could work.  Using heat transfer, like Granny Weatherwax does in, I believe Wintersmith, from the nether cap.  Because the totally obvious thing to do in case of the discovery of a material that has a set temperature is to make a magic flamethrower out of it.))
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: July 18, 2015, 02:53:22 pm »

{Use Nether-Cap's unalterable latent temperature to build up a heat-energy charge? Noice. That one makes sense. It'd take a while, but it works. You still need to get combustibles from somewhere, though. Probably the atmosphere, actually.}

{Videogames. A minecraft server partially inhabited by citizens of Bay12, to be precise. The game's still fun, it's just the- or most of the -community and the lack of cool-ness that's bad, and when you have a faction server with your faction populated almost entirely by fairly-adult Comedic Sociopaths it actually makes things interesting/worthwhile.}

Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 18, 2015, 03:10:23 pm »

{Use Nether-Cap's unalterable latent temperature to build up a heat-energy charge? Noice. That one makes sense. It'd take a while, but it works. You still need to get combustibles from somewhere, though. Probably the atmosphere, actually.}

{Videogames. A minecraft server partially inhabited by citizens of Bay12, to be precise. The game's still fun, it's just the- or most of the -community and the lack of cool-ness that's bad, and when you have a faction server with your faction populated almost entirely by fairly-adult Comedic Sociopaths it actually makes things interesting/worthwhile.}
((Ye.  Alternatively, the heat can be directly deposited.))
((Heh.  What server?))
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: July 18, 2015, 03:20:19 pm »

{mc.civcraft.vg, I assume it's called Civcraft. Bay12 thread is here; http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=151854.0 }

{Not sure what you mean by directly deposited?}
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 03:23:36 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 18, 2015, 03:37:41 pm »

{mc.civcraft.vg, I assume it's called Civcraft. Bay12 thread is here; http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=151854.0 }

{Not sure what you mean by directly deposited?}
((Like, literally just moving the heat from point A to point B without actually using fire.))
((Thanks.  I'll check it out.))
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 18, 2015, 03:57:29 pm »

{True. Storing pure thermal energy and releasing it as such would work. The result would be basically Frikken Laser Beams- intense infrared radiation would form a laser if released correctly -Dragon, or a plasma torch, depending on whether or not there happened to be air nearby. I'm fine with that, though it's basically the first option in functionality, since we won't be doing anything in a vacuum any time soon.}

{If you show up, you're looking for Tygura, or some permutation of the name, I'm not sure how it's meant to be spelled. Around -1100 9200}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: July 18, 2015, 05:51:29 pm »

{True. Storing pure thermal energy and releasing it as such would work. The result would be basically Frikken Laser Beams- intense infrared radiation would form a laser if released correctly -Dragon, or a plasma torch, depending on whether or not there happened to be air nearby. I'm fine with that, though it's basically the first option in functionality, since we won't be doing anything in a vacuum any time soon.}

{If you show up, you're looking for Tygura, or some permutation of the name, I'm not sure how it's meant to be spelled. Around -1100 9200}
((Yup.  Maybe.  SPESS.))
((Will make a note.  Am, however, on vacation.))
((Aaaand we have successfully filled another page with OOC ramblings!  Gah!  Your turn to talk!))
Last talky bit:
"Fire.  Lots of fire, according to my notes.  Frankly impossible amounts of fire that could not and probably should not exist in this little one here."
"I should name...You know, I never did think about whether an artifact artificial dragon construct made of magic and gemstones would be male or female.  Huh.  Oh well."
"As for moods..."
"Good luck.  They come at random, and I'm not sure what hit me was even a mood.  Felt more like an inspiration particle.  As I said at the time, but it has been a while."
((Aaaaaand cue crickets.))
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 06:15:06 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 18, 2015, 06:22:21 pm »

((Anyone at all going to react to the PET DRAGON IN THE DINING ROOM?  That isn't Amp?))
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: July 18, 2015, 06:53:11 pm »

{d00dz stahp bein ded kappa}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 18, 2015, 07:17:16 pm »

{d00dz stahp bein ded kappa}
((It IS your turn to respond, y'know.))
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: July 18, 2015, 07:21:18 pm »

{I know. On the other hand, there are like four other people who should also be doing so, and I don't have anything interesting to say.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 262