Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 232719 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #405 on: July 07, 2015, 05:38:35 pm »

{Ok, I'm going to say the combat is over.}

{THERE HAVE BEEN DELAYS, PLEASE STAND BY}

{WARNING, THIS POST'S RELEVANCE MAY BE SUSPECT}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 07, 2015, 06:14:54 pm »

{Ok, I'm going to say the combat is over.}
((For now, I take it.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 07, 2015, 06:21:47 pm »

{For now. By which I mean, no more fighting in this scenario, we'll return to killstuffmode the next time something comes up, but the fort can have a few months to recover from losing a quarter of its population, otherwise known as most of the military. Actual numbers and such coming up when I'm done helping my understandably impatient immediate family clean the house.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 07, 2015, 06:26:49 pm »

((Also, note that I am expending magic on stabilizing bad wounds wherever possible.  I don't know if that actually made it or if the physics debate is still stuck in your head right now.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 07, 2015, 06:48:36 pm »

{Like all the things are stuck in my head right now. It'll take me a while to beat them into submission, but for now, suffice it to say that magic is possible because fantasy 'verse, but the world runs on mostly realistic physics because the flaws in DF's physics are mostly caused by Toady not being a God, and therefore not being capable of doing everything in about a week. As for healing, I'd like to discuss how that works, because the world is at least a little bit grimdark, so even being healed by the power of creation itself isn't a very easy or pleasant process.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 07, 2015, 07:26:27 pm »

{Like all the things are stuck in my head right now. It'll take me a while to beat them into submission, but for now, suffice it to say that magic is possible because fantasy 'verse, but the world runs on mostly realistic physics because the flaws in DF's physics are mostly caused by Toady not being a God, and therefore not being capable of doing everything in about a week. As for healing, I'd like to discuss how that works, because the world is at least a little bit grimdark, so even being healed by the power of creation itself isn't a very easy or pleasant process.}
((Like I think I said, it HURTS.  Your natural healing processes are sped up.  Burstheal is SUDDEN pain, slowheal is ache.
Of course, it all depends on what's being healed, but yeah.
That sound about right?))
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 07:31:07 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 07, 2015, 07:39:29 pm »

{So, here's how I see it working; it's basically forcing the cells back into their normal positions, almost-cauterizing them in place, then accelerating metabolic/immune/self-repair processes in the area until things work correctly. It usually takes between five and thirty minutes, leaves you hungrier and more exhausted than you started in proportion to the severity of the wound, and hurts enough to prevent you doing much while it happens. The caster can, on the other hand, do it pretty frequently [Not that high of a mana cost, since the energy comes from the heal-ee's body, unless they're too severely injured to deal with it], and as long as they have the brainpower to manage so many complex enchantments in a short period of time, doesn't have much of a time-delay. Because I'm only mostly a card-carrying genius, this is entirely open for debate.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 07, 2015, 07:46:43 pm »

{So, here's how I see it working; it's basically forcing the cells back into their normal positions, almost-cauterizing them in place, then accelerating metabolic/immune/self-repair processes in the area until things work correctly. It usually takes between five and thirty minutes, leaves you hungrier and more exhausted than you started in proportion to the severity of the wound, and hurts enough to prevent you doing much while it happens. The caster can, on the other hand, do it pretty frequently [Not that high of a mana cost, since the energy comes from the heal-ee's body, unless they're too severely injured to deal with it], and as long as they have the brainpower to manage so many complex enchantments in a short period of time, doesn't have much of a time-delay. Because I'm only mostly a card-carrying genius, this is entirely open for debate.}
((I feel like there should be some combat-heals-level stuff, you know?  Not cutting the pain, but you should be able to keep someone alive without having to throw twice the number of soldiers at it while having a mage working on healing all of the injured for 5mins each.  Especially as the number of thaums expended is in fact enough to create new tissue outright.  E=mc^2 and all.))
((Alternatively, split the healing spells down, say, the middle or about (So, actually, Minor, Negligible heal/renew because Lesser would have power enough to manage the latter case), and have lower half accelerate healing, upper half outright create new tissue, repair and whatnot.  I mean, 5 Thaums is plenty 'nuff to do that.))
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 07:53:49 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 07, 2015, 07:55:44 pm »

Also, DWRs Y/N?  I vote Y.
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 07, 2015, 08:30:40 pm »

{...DWRs? What are those?

Ok, so it isn't making new tissue from nothing, it's using your body's mass-energy to grow it. Which could, for instance, leave you with some nasty atrophy if you try regrowing something big. And yes, you're right, there should be a combat-heals spell. Howsabout it skips the actual repair and just sticks stuff back in place, then messes with your pain centers and such until the desired result is reached

Also, additional factor I forgot to mention, such massive acceleration of the healing process is likely to cause increased scar tissue as well. As well, while five-thirty minutes sounds terrifying by the standards of videogames, it's actually pretty good by the standards of an ongoing pitched battle, especially since you don't have to move the wounded or anything, you basically just slap them awake, hand them a snack, tell them to have fun with the pain, and move to the next guy. Oh, and the healer only has to stick around long enough to force tissues/bone back into place, the regeneration is automagical.

OHGODRELATIVES. WHO NEEDS TIME.}
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 08:35:26 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 07, 2015, 08:41:30 pm »

{...DWRs? What are those?

Ok, so it isn't making new tissue from nothing, it's using your body's mass-energy to grow it. Which could, for instance, leave you with some nasty atrophy if you try regrowing something big. And yes, you're right, there should be a combat-heals spell. Howsabout it skips the actual repair and just sticks stuff back in place, then messes with your pain centers and such until the desired result is reached

Also, additional factor I forgot to mention, such massive acceleration of the healing process is likely to cause increased scar tissue as well. As well, while five-thirty minutes sounds terrifying by the standards of videogames, it's actually pretty good by the standards of an ongoing pitched battle, especially since you don't have to move the wounded or anything, you basically just slap them awake, hand them a snack, tell them to have fun with the pain, and move to the next guy. Oh, and the healer only has to stick around long enough to force tissues/bone back into place, the regeneration is automagical.

OHGODRELATIVES. WHO NEEDS TIME.}
((Ahem.  I shall here point to E=mc^2, and point at the conversion into Thaums.  It should not be that hard to replicate tissue.  I'm not saying magic is a cure-all.  Well, actually, I am saying magic is a cure-all, but that's with large amounts of power pumped in.  Seriously though, on high power spells, you SHOULD be able to just generate the new tissue, with a bit of overhead for generating the RIGHT tissue.  (The smaller spells, however, would do exactly what you suggested.)  The pain and all, however, would still happen, because the nervous system is understandably quite freaked out by its 'new' addition.  Although I really don't know the standard of real life how-fast-do-you-need-to-not-die, I still think 30m is a bit much.  Healing should take a set amount of time, preferably 5min, and have a different amount of progress based on spell type.))
((Dwarven Water Reactors.  I think.  The infinite power battery things.))
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 07, 2015, 08:53:38 pm »

{Oh. Huh. Um, that needs thought. I don't think so though, they're really clearly just- Wait, Nether Cap exists, so thermodynamics are weird here... Uh, I'm going to say no for now, but the dwarven facility with magma is canon, so as soon as we get magma we have unlimited geothermal energy.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 07, 2015, 08:55:40 pm »

{Oh. Huh. Um, that needs thought. I don't think so though, they're really clearly just- Wait, Nether Cap exists, so thermodynamics are weird here... Uh, I'm going to say no for now, but the dwarven facility with magma is canon, so as soon as we get magma we have unlimited geothermal energy.}
Right.
Y/N on my version of healing?  You seem to have not noticed the rest of my post.
What's so weird about Nether Cap?
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 07, 2015, 09:07:15 pm »

{Nether cap's temperature cannot change, no matter how hot its surroundings, which I take to mean it can absorb heat-energy forever without getting more energetic. Basically, it's the perfect weapon barrel shroud, among other things. As for healing, for starters read my PM, but other than that, while you could, with some difficulty, just make new cells out of nothing, it's pretty hard to carry, on your person, the amounts of energy necessary to achieve this, or really most magical things. Basically, my thought is that it should be a lot easier to use mass-energy from the person's body to do it. Also, we could, for instance, feed our troops really well before battle to ensure they have a lot of mass/nutrients to use. As for the whole thing with needing to heal people quickly before they die, the putting stuff back into place step takes about fifteen-thirty seconds, and that's what stabilizes the person. Full regeneration to the point of only scars remaining is what takes a long time. You'd be partially functional a lot sooner than that, if you weren't in extreme pain.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 07, 2015, 09:08:46 pm »

{If you're wondering how I can write all this crap but not the update, it takes a lot more time to write something narratively pleasing than to rapidly type !SCIENCE! into being.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 262